The DC BOOK CLUB! How To Join

Welcome to the book club! It’s a pleasure to have you here :slight_smile:

Glad that you’re finding it clear to navigate! Let us know if you have any questions, we’re here for you!

6 Likes

Another suggestion for the future - highlighting a writer rather than a series of books and reading their work across a few different titles to see how they apply their style to different characters, events, timelines, etc. For example - reading some of Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol from the 80s, their Aztec: The Ultimate Man from the 90s, their Seven Soldiers of Victory mini-series from the early 2000s and their recent Green Lantern run.

7 Likes

This is a cool idea! I’ll share it with the admin team and we’ll see what they come up with :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I gotta say, this is exactly what I was looking for. I’ve been hesitant to join other reading clubs because I just don’t have a lot of time, but reading just one thing per month is a much more doable task for me. I know I’m late to the party, but I’m still looking forward to joining!

10 Likes

Welcome aboard! This first installment was a lot of fun, with some great conversations. It does make it easier to only read a couple issues a week.

4 Likes

We’re happy to have you here, Aylex, even if you’re a little late. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Will the April book be announced here? Or was it announced and I’m completely missing something?

5 Likes

Hi Jaguar!

The DC Book Club’s next event will be in May. :cherry_blossom: We’ll be sending another newsletter via DM to all members with a poll to vote on one of three titles, so keep your eyes peeled!

13 Likes

Greetings, members of the @dc-book-club! This is your friendly reminder that we’ll be powering up our next installment on 2021-05-10T16:00:00Z with Superman Smashes the Klan!

We’ll be announcing a lot of fun tie-in events to celebrate this incredible story, so be sure to stick around after the discussion :sunglasses:

11 Likes

My favorite Superman Public Service Ad, long ago, in 1949

An great example of the
‘American Way’

Just like this mini.

15 Likes

:heart_eyes: That’s really beautiful, and also, ahead of its time! Proof that Superman has truly always stood for justice :relieved: Thank you for sharing Turok!

9 Likes

I have that on a poster, the art was redone by a local artist and was given away by one of my LCS.

6 Likes

I love Superman Smashes the Klan! I listened to part of the original radio series last year. I really need to finish it. But, this is such an important, inspiring, and deeply touching story. I’m excited to read it again!

9 Likes

I love this. I just put it up at my desk at work. I used to work in the school system so it spoke to me.

8 Likes

Agreed. That’s why I really enjoyed the nature of the topic itself. An unexpected for me. I liked too how they added in a back story meaning where it came from the idea and a true story within life when it was etc. Superman inspired!!! Can’t wait to see where the story takes us in the next one :+1::sunglasses:

7 Likes

I just finished the first book. I loved it! The art is fantastic and the writing is so well done. I can’t wait for issue 2. Now, I have the tough question, do I read them all at once, or savor them, and read issue 2 next week? Decisions, decisions… :thinking:

7 Likes

I wish DC would continue this messaging! It’s stated so explicitly in this ad versus being watered down and ambiguous like so much brand messaging nowadays.

It’s something I was very impressed with in Marvel’s The Falcon and the Winter Soldier series. Not afraid to say the things that need saying.

11 Likes

I’ve read some people complained that “F&WS” was too “woke,” I disagree. I loved the show and its social commentary.

8 Likes

Oh, yeah, they definitely had some backlash. I think that’s why so many brands in general are afraid to push the envelope. Don’t want to rock the boat or step on any toes.

I imagine there were plenty of people mad about Superman taking down the Klan on the radio back in 1946, too.

“What is he? Some kind of social justice warrior? Stay out of politics, Superman!” :facepalm_batman: :harley_eyerollhqtas:

Comics definitely have a complicated history (that hasn’t always been so bright and shiny), but being “woke” is nothing new to the four-color funny pages.

EAnnzyAVAAAcJYK

11 Likes

I really didn’t notice wether it was woke or not, I was enjoying the show too much too think about that,but in hindsight, I remember a few scenes that folks could feel were woke, but I didn’t take them that way, most I though just showed what a great human being Sam was, in the face of adversity wether physical, socially or racial.

8 Likes