The CW might add another series next year

nu52 I new someone would present that case. That would be like saying to people that are Supergirl fans that there is no need for a for a supergirl show because there is a Superman show or that we don’t need a Batman show because there is a Batwoman show. It would be a smart choice business-wise, Sup’s and Bats are DC’s cash cow.

Not trying to argue with you, you know I think your awesome just a big superman fan and if we aren’t gettin a movie anytime soon I would like something.

1 Like

Yeah, I forgot about Krypton. That’s a fair point. Plus, Supergirl adapts a lot of Superman stories.

I’m trying to think about characters who have enough rogues gallery members and classic storylines to sustain a show.

Wonder Woman would be a possibility, but that would step on the movies’ toes.

There might be some potential in a Justice League show, or at least Justice Society.

And don’t get me wrong: I love Birds of Prey and would be all over a series adapting it, but the CW’s writers have treated both Huntress and multiple iterations of Black Canary like absolute trash, and tried to turn Felicity into a shameless ripoff of Oracle, which suggests that they don’t have much interest in her as an actual character either.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Arrow 2040 stuff, but I’d be all-in for a John Diggle Green Lantern series.

In the first seasons of the DCAU Justice League, John Stewart didn’t make a whole lot of constructs, so the WB producers could conceivably keep at least the first season of a GL show light on the CGI. Concentrate on Earth bad guys, leave the space stuff for later seasons.

@fansumtheory.16165 I just don’t agree since Supergirl has already done so many Superman stories and used a lot of his villains and supporting cast. Supergirl is already going to use Lex for a second season in a row. Krypton straight up has Doomsday, Brainiac, Lobo, Zod, etc. I don’t see the point in having two Super shows or two Bat shows (especially on the same network). You know I think you’re awesome too. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with one another. All love :stuck_out_tongue:

@BatJamags They really did Black Canary and Huntress dirty, but a new show runner and different writers could make it work.

@nu52…what you mentioned about all the Superman stories and villains being used on Krypton and Supergirl is a very good point, but also a source of frustration for this Superman fan. We get everything except for one tiny little detail…Superman. I actually really like the CW Supergirl show and think Benoist is terrific in the role. Would just like to see my favorite character on the screen…whether it’s TV or movies. Hope the crossover appearances are a sign of bigger things to come.

1 Like

@nu52, Don’t agree you say…sharpens his foam LARP sword LOL. :slight_smile:

You make good points. I don’t really follow Supergirl and did not know they use Superman Stories (thats kinda a bummer).
As for krypton which I like a lot I will have to quote Paula Abdul:
Krypton straight up now has Doomsday, Brainiac, and Lobo Oh Oh. In the name of Zod can we get a Superman ShOw.

My opinion is bias though I just want a Superman show :slight_smile:

1 Like

I say no to a Superman or Batman show (and WW as well, although unlikely with WW84 coming out) got the simple reason that any member of the trinity will “suck the oxygen out of the room” for every other CWVERSE show. Keep to the kinda known but secondary characters. It is a formula that has served the CWVERSE well. Don’t screw that up. An occasional cameo (like they did with Clark & Lois) in Supergirl, I can see. But not their own shows.

1 Like

So I know there were theories going around after Elseworlds that Superman was going to die. I’m mean, he’s getting married and having a kid. Either one of these things in a superhero show could spell disaster. So let’s say Supes really does kick the bucket. There’s still Lois and the child (most likely Jon, although they could throw us for a loop). There were also rumors (maybe even more, although I’m not sure) that DCU was supposed to be doing a Lois Lane centered show titled Metropolis. Production on that show seems to have stalled. What if they moved the show over to the CW, and focused on single mom Lois with Superbaby. From there, it could deal with Lois and the Daily Planet, the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit, supervillains that don’t know what to do without a Superman to fight, and perhaps even adapt a form of the Reign of the Supermen arc with all the implied characters.

With Supernatural ending, hopefully the CW will finally make a Hellblazer show. Having Constantine on Legends is nice, but I miss the serious stories with more supernatural elements and less time bureaucracy. Bonus points if the show finishes the rising darkness story and addresses what happened to Chas and Zed. A Hellblazer show could also potentially incorporate Maisie Richardson-Sellers’ Charlie as a new Chas styled character. Charlie worked well with John in the episode “Legends of To-Meow-Meow” but unfortunately was sidelined and quite literally forgotten after Mona joined the team.

A John Diggle Lantern spin off sounds interesting but as others have mentioned budget would be an issue. Maybe an ARGUS/Task Force X spin off would work better for Diggle but given the upcoming Suicide Squad 2 movie, it might be an off limits property.

Arrow 2040 - I’m not interested in this concept. The flash forwards felt like the weak part of last season of Arrow.

Beyond - With the news of Kevin Conroy joining Crisis perhaps there is the potential for a Batman Beyond styled spinoff. I’m open to the idea, but we’ll have to wait and see how things turn out to see if it is even a possibility.

2 Likes

People saying that budget would be an impediment to doing a Green Lantern series is to me a sign of lazy thinking.

I’ll throw out a couple of ideas here.

• They could do a show based out of Hub City, a location that has been featured on Arrow once before. In fact, that’s where they first met Dinah Drake. Why not use that as the launching point for a spinoff based on her character? Plus it allows you to role out other characters with ties to Hub City (Ted Kord, anyone? Which could lead to Jaime Reyes showing up.)

• They name-dropped Will Magnus toward the end of Arrow Season 7. What about a series featuring him? And they can do whatever interpretation of Will Magnus they want – they’ve already done different interpretations of other DC characters on CW shows (most notably, Iris West and James Olson).

Batman Beyond also has an issue with CGI costs. Recall how much flying & invisibility were part of the BB costume usage. Also, a very important villain in BB was Inque. That is basically an entire CGI character.

I’ll disagree that factoring in CGI cost is lazy. It’s sloppy to not realize that good CGI costs money. And as we saw with ST, production costs matter to the long term health of a series.

2 Likes

I am holding out for Brother Power the Geek, or maybe Sugar and Spike… oh… ohhh The Heckler. Has to be The Heckler.

Seriously though, no idea as they have shown it could be almost anyone. Would love for it to be Booster Gold or The Blue Beetle myself. Thing both would fit well into the Arrowverse.

@DigificWriter: Maybe instead of just calling us lazy, you could offer an actual argument why we’re wrong?

I mean, I suppose you could always create a Green Lantern show with minimal constructs, as few scenes in space as possible, only alien planets that look suspiciously like Toronto, and only aliens that look like humans with makeup on. Which might actually work in a '60s cheese sort of way, but is not going to be tonally consistent with the rest of the Arrowverse.

2 Likes

Batjamags everyone knows space looks like Vancouver not Toronto

2 Likes

Here’s my proposal for how to do a GL series without a massive budget:

• Treat it like a “Serialized Procedural” (i.e. Elementary, iZombie, or ANGEL) by centering it on the adventures and exploits of a single Green Lantern and giving it an episodic format with a broader overarching plot that runs through the season in the background

• When you do bring in other members of the Corps, limit their number to a handful of “key” characters

• Give the GLC members you feature - including the central protagonist - a “core” set of constructs that they tend to use

And, no, this doesn’t mean leaving the action on Earth; the writers could send their Green Lantern protagonist wherever they wanted.

I was thinking of what could be from totally left field… The Question would make for a great series. It can be dark and violent, just like Arrow.

I also think Doctor Fate and Zatanna could be good and fill the void that Supernatural leaves behind.

I believe The Question may end up being in Batwoman. They can do Green Lantern, especially if they do 13-16 episodes a season. The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends all use CGI to some extent, so this would be no different. And yes, they didn’t really do Helene justice but I would love for Huntress to come back so a Birds of Prey show would be awesome. My outside the box idea is Amethyst, maybe they could introduce Gemworld in Crisis and have an honest to goodness fantasy DC show in the CW universe, how amazing would that be?

2 Likes

I would be up for a Question show. I always hear people complain about the CGI with these shows well not always but enough. I love The Flash and buy the seasons and feel the CGI is fine for a tv show. I will say I’m easy to please though :slight_smile: