The CW Just Declined Its Contract With Netflix

It remains to be seen if the Arrowverse shows make their way to DC Universe or not. However, it’s possible that Smallville could find its way here.

Any streaming service that Warner or AT&T wants to consider could come into play, though. With that said, there’s a lot of non-DC content that falls under Warner, so that could form the basis of another streaming service – and there would be a lot of content that goes far beyond DC material.

This article kinda sums up how I feel: https://batman-news.com/2019/05/16/cw-wants-split-up-the-arrowverse-streaming/

It should all be in one place.

1 Like

Warner brothers would have to outbid apple amazon google etc to get cw shows that’s a tough one. Disney could even get involved to put arrowverse shows on Hulu?

@foodini Warner Bros don’t have to bid on the Arrowverse shows because they own them outright. Basically they can put them on their streaming service and make straight profit.

1 Like

I’m more than a little worried about the DC Universe being absorbed into the new Warner streaming service when it comes out because most likely if that were to happen the comics would not carry over because Warner doesn’t really care about the comic book industry so it would just the shows and movies. The reason I say Warner doesn’t care about the comic book industry is because the only logical reason they bought DC Comics in the first place was so they could own the licenses to the characters outright that way they could make movies without paying licensing fees.

1 Like

@foodini is right on this one. Those shows will go to the highest bidder and even though the CW is Warner Bros they still cant just port them over to this app because corporate red tape.
Even if they could, they wouldnt as this app has a small subscriber base compared to Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. It makes sense for the fans but as far as business goes Netflix and co have way more money to spend and a larger audience for these characters to reach. Remember, DCU is only in the USofA atm and just barely hit xbox one. It’s still growing.

1 Like

I expect the DCU to be offered as a stand alone app, and be included as part of the WB App for those who decide to sign up with the WB. If they put the Arrowverse here, it would also be included on the WB. Sure they could make easy money leasing the shows out, but the WB will need some draw cards to launch their new service.

1 Like

Not sure it is as simple as they own it put it on here, yeah would guess it would go to the Warner app or here (it being Batwoman, the other Arrowverse shows are still on Netflix until some time after they end per the deal. So they are not going anywhere) but while I don’t know everything about how licensing works I know it is not as simple as “Warner owns it so 100% that will put in on their service”. It just isn’t that simple clearly.

I was reading an article about the success of CW’s DC shows from over a year ago. Apparently, the main reason these shows haven’t been canceled is because of the money they make through licensed distribution. The former Netflix deal saw the streaming giant buy the licensing rights for 1 billion dollars! If they didnt renew it, it’s because they think they can get more from someone else. If DCU has a billion lying around they should dump it into original content. You could make like 10 theatrical summer blockbusters for that kind of dough.

It’s the exclusive part of the statement if they can get .6 billion from Netflix and .6 billion from amazon and still be free to add it to WB stream or make the contract so it can’t go on WB stream but it could go to DCU.

I would love to have the flash and black lightning on here I also want to see if I’d like to try legends of tomorrow and supergirl I’ve heard good things about them

@DeSade-acolyte The thing is apparently Netflix still has the rights to stream all the current Arrowverse, just not any new ones AKA Batwoman. So they can’t do that.

1 Like