The Comics Library

Just another in the chorus of voices saying the comics selection on here is really poor. So many books with just one issue available. C’mon, DC – you can do much better!

13 Likes

Just a reminder, Marvel Unlimited started the same amount of comics when they first launch their subscription.

“Marvel’s Digital Comics only grew modestly, reaching over 24 comics in April, 2006 until finally it relaunched in November, 2007 as Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited.Unlike earlier initiatives, Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited was a subscription service with over 2,500 comics available to subscribers, with new comics added on a weekly basis. A small portion of the library was made available for free in an attempt to entice viewers to subscribe to the service through either its monthly or yearly plans.”

This was just comics only. DC Universe has comics, animated movies/series, TV shows, and live action movies. Oh yeah, and it just release.

1 Like

Just a reminder, Marvel Unlimited started the same amount of comics when they first launch their subscription.

“Marvel’s Digital Comics only grew modestly, reaching over 24 comics in April, 2006 until finally it relaunched in November, 2007 as Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited.Unlike earlier initiatives, Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited was a subscription service with over 2,500 comics available to subscribers, with new comics added on a weekly basis.”

@Edot The difference here is that, according to the Support FAQs, DC is flat-out stating that the comic selection will not expand. Rotation will keep it around 2500, with the rest available for issue by issue purchase. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of reason to wait and hope when they’re telling us not to bother.

As for the video content, would happily jettison every frame of it to finally get DC’s version of Marvel Unlimited after 10 years of waiting.

6 Likes

10 years. I didn’t even think about that, but yeah it has been about that long. Wow.

I agree that I’d trade a lot of the streaming for more comics. Having only 1 or 2 issues of many titles is ridiculous!

1 Like

I agree they need to add all the full issues for a series they just have like 1 or 2 issues available and I’m kind of disappointed hopefully they change that.

1 Like

I hope that if we keep bringing this up it’ll get their attention and make them change their minds. Or maybe have a separate service for comics. Or just a separate subscription tier, like how Netflix and Hulu have separate tiers for their service. You pay $8 for the streaming and basic rotation of comics, $12 for a larger catalogue for example.

Id also be more okay with the comic rotation if they were up front and transparent about what comics will be added and taken off and when. Like if say a bunch of series with issues 1-3 rotate to 4-6 next month or something. If we are told ahead of time, it wouldn’t be that bad because then you can keep up with the comics you want to read.

2 Likes

When marvel started with such a low subscription amount they barley had many of their titles properly digitized. DC has something between 25,000 and 40,000 titles ready made to read through digital services, so the comparison is a false equivalence.

2 Likes