The Bizarro Community Mixtape!

In your typical Mixtape Monday thread, our illustrious moderators propose a theme or character for us all to create playlists for. Today, I propose an alternate thread: I’m going to post a song, and your job is to tell me which DC character, team, or story that song best fits, and why. I’ll post a new song every day until I forget or get tired of it. Good luck!

Today’s song:

10 Likes

Lucifer!

He even sings it in the show!

9 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t necessarily say it fits anyone in the DCU, or even in related Vertigo or other material, including perhaps the most obscure, save perhaps something I may not know well like Wildstorm. [For one thing, it’s a very repetitive song, for as much as it has great hooks, features Isaak’s vocals and interpretation well, but barely has any depth nor certainly any extensive amount of lyrical meaning].

It clearly has connotations of either madness or mental issues (and I’m not meaning that in a bad way) and desire and romance; while I personally never bought Lucifer and the detective’s relationship as the great romance the series sold it as, I also didn’t really buy Lucifer as a bog-issue police procedural wannabee fan, it seems really trite and boring. Wanting to punish evil doers is something the devil could do without all the paperwork and inter-office drama and other crap that comes with the LAPD, either in real life or this fantasy version of it where they aren’t overworked, messy and disorganized, and in typical police procedural television fashion, are investing all this time, money and other resources on solving just one crime.

No, except for both words in the title, Lucifer liking or wanting to play games with humanity, and Lucifer liking, wanting to encourage or wanting to be wicked itself, I would not ascribe the song to him, but perhaps to someone dealing with unrequited love, an obsessive love at that, after a heartbreak, which could well describe the late Golden Age Clark Kent, before the superd**** that came with Mort’s editorial intervention, and how he felt about Lois Lane.

A relationship that also, by the way, didn’t become a great and healthy relationship (e.g. no longer obsessive on Clark’s part, no longer obsessive on Lois’ part as to Superman, etc.) until well after the Golden and Silver Age, for as much fondness as I have for a lot of ways in which it was developed and even nurtured even in these late 1940s and 1950s stories.

If I wanted to play on the mental health aspects, I could ascribe it to certain denizens of a certain gallery of certain basic and boring villains a certain mentally unstable person who hits his head many times on the daily and yet still gets considered to be a great strategist and excessively intelligent, but I’d really rather not.

5 Likes

I unfortunately thought for a moment this was a Bizarro focused mixtape thread. My bad. :hugs:
Anyway, I think for me, Christopher Chance from Tom King’s Human Target would be a solid pick for the song Wicked Game.

Christopher story involving his complex love affair with Tora where he’s falling in love with her and yet he knows he shouldn’t. Not just because he won’t live by the end it, but that neither are telling each other the truth about their intentions and that he will eventually have to break her heart if he dies or if discovers which member of the JLI poisoned him.

The Human Target #9

7 Likes

Hi

5 Likes

Ooh good pick!!!

5 Likes

Given the lyric, “The world was on fire and no one could save me but you…,” it could almost be about Lois Lane.

8 Likes

sad henry says hello

6 Likes

Mister Miracle

5 Likes

It’s about Batcat. Which one is the narrator? Up to you.

6 Likes

Would be fun to hear this song as a duet, actually.

5 Likes

I can think of a few relationships out of Watchmen that would fit…but I’ll say Silk Spectre I and Comedian strike a chord.

Every day, the future looks a little bit darker. But the past, even the grimy parts of it, keep on getting brighter.

7 Likes

Today’s song:

4 Likes

Doctor Dee in The Sandman Vol. 1. He’s seeking the key to all fables.

6 Likes

Great pick.

4 Likes

Resurrection Man.

Seeking out the truth of his origins.

Doesn’t smile much.

‘Til the day I die’ is a fun anti-theme since he can’t die.

5 Likes

Uh, yes, he can. He dies all the time. It’s his thing.

6 Likes

Well ■■■■.

I’ve just lost all credibility.

6 Likes

Happy anniversary @HubCityQuestion

6 Likes

Happy DC Anniversary!

4 Likes