The Best of The New 52

I’m sure someone’s made this thread before. Probably. If they have, then mods, you know what to do.

Anyway…

I’ve written somewhat extensively on here about how I’m not a fan of The New 52. I think it failed a lot of its supposed editorial goals and many of the books just felt lackluster. That said, I’ve read many of The New 52’s titles, but I haven’t read them all. So I pose a question: what were your favorites? I’m looking for something to read, and I’m willing to have my mind changed.

Thanks community!
-Batwing52

2 Likes

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman run
Geoff Johns’ runs on Green Lantern, Aquaman and Justice League, especially The Darkseid War
Forever Evil
Superman Unchained

2 Likes

Snyder and Capullo’s run on Batman was good. Red Hood and the Outlaws did a good job in reestablishing Red Hood. Batman and Robin Eternal I found to be a very entertaining story even if I had problems with some elements of it but I really loved the characters in it.

Grant Morrison’s Action Comics run and…Grant Morrison’s Action Comics run.

I’d also say Grant Morrison’s second volume of Batman Incorporated, but that one feels like a bit of a cheat. It does the bare minimum to exist in the New 52.

I also like Gail Simone’s Batgirl run despite all of the editorial efforts to sabotage it.

4 Likes

Talon by James Tynion IV is an underrated gem! I’ve always likened it to Goodwin and Simonson’s Manhunter. The only downside is that it had a logical end point, but went on for two or three more issues.

2 Likes

Shoutout to Jeff Lemire’s Animal Man. People don’t believe me when I say it’s better than Morrison’s run, but it is.

3 Likes

Francis Manapul’s Flash is one of the series that got me into comics. As well as Scott and Greg’s Batman run.
I also enjoyed Batman and Robin by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason. (I know some people hate Damian, but I did like this run)

1 Like

Jeff Lemire’s Green Arrow

2 Likes

new 52 batman
green lantern
aquaman
animal man
Jeff leimire green arrow
death stroke 2014
wonder woman
red hood and the outlaws

1 Like

Marquee titles that everyone and their Aunt Ida knows are wonderful, however I’m shining the New 52 spotlight on underrated gems such as:

-Blackhawks
-Demon Knights
-Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E (my favorite of Jeff Lemire’s New 52 output)
-Team 7
-Threshold

You’ve got black ops, supernatural chicanery, odd bodkins, black ops with Wildstorm and DCU characters, along with a hearty science fiction adventure featuring little known Green Lanterns alongside the Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle.

The Comics Division of the USDA approves of the variety in these books, and recommends a good variety in all sensible comic book diets. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Some of the more underrated runs:

Demon Knights
Animal Man
I, Vampire
Sword of Sorcery
Gotham Academy

2 Likes

I will second Grant Morrison’s run on Action Comics. He has proven that it doesn’t matter the circumstances to tell a good Superman story with this run.

2 Likes

While people’s criticisms of the New 52 are certainly valid (I’ve kvetched about it quite a bit myself), it always saddens me that the hate helps to overshadow some great stories. My favorites have always been Johns’ rebooted Shazam!, World’s Finest: Power Girl & Huntress, Secret Six, and Cyborg. Batwoman before the original creative team left was also fantastic.

3 Likes

The main two series that come to mind is Brian Azzarello’s Wonder Woman run, and Jeff Lemire’s Animal Man. Both series are fantastic and I’d highly recommend either series.

3 Likes

Azzarello Wonder Woman
Lemire Green Arrow
Giffen/DiDio OMAC. Seriously. I loved that comic.

2 Likes

I’m one of the few who enjoyed the new 52 I guess, I really enjoyed:
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batman Eternal
Action Comics by Morrison
Justice League
Forever Evil
Superman/Wonder Woman
Superman and the Men of Tomorrow
Green Lantern by Johns
Wonder Woman by Azzarello
Green Lantern New Guardians
Sinestro
The Multiversity
The Flash by Manipaul

3 Likes

Aquaman
Demon Knight
Frakenstein Agent of Shade
Earth 2 from issue 17 on
Worlds Finest
Justice League Dark by Jeff Lemire

Around that time

Superman Lois and Clark
Titans Hunt

1 Like

Supergirl and Teen Titans are the New 52 titles I’ve read the most of, but others that I’ve sampled and enjoyed are Earth 2, Demon Knights, and StormWatch.

Supergirl in particular was a lot of fun because I loved how angry she was and how genuine a reaction to her situation that anger felt like.

They nailed Justice League during the New 52 run; thought it was much better than what we now have.

3 Likes

What we now have is an extension of what happened with the New 52 Justice League.