The Best Introduction to the Universe as a Whole

So, I’ve been a huge Batman fan for a really long time now, but I’ve never really gotten into the other DC heroes. This didn’t used to bother me, but when I read comic series like Bombshells or Injustice, I can’t understand any of the references or connections to things like the Greek gods or the Lantern Corps.

What is the single best comics series that will give me the most information about the DC universe as a whole? Thank you!

1 Like

If you just want to learn a little of everything I would personally watch the animated series instead of finding it in comics. It takes forever to dig out all the big arcs of the characters in comics and without knowing the characters it can be intimidating starting points. If you watch the green lantern series you get a general feel for the lanterns, legion series is a good primer for that part etc. Once you feel comfortable with the important characters it is easier to pick up the important arcs in comics because you don’t start from zero.

5 Likes

Alright cool, will do!

2 Likes

You could try the two-issue series History of the DC Universe.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/history-of-the-dc-universe-1986/363856b5-c466-4f3c-a44c-8e3195613982

The Who’s Who series might also help:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/who-s-who-the-definitive-directory-of-the-dc-universe-1985-1987/8312178d-2804-4cbd-8ec3-c3bbf79d4505

3 Likes

The best way to get into DC is through Series and Solo books, you get a great story while understanding the characters and concepts. Here are some that are important and or influencal. I don’t think there is one single book that represents the DCU as a whole, but here are some

The Batman Early Years: Year One/Legends of the Dark Knight #1-23/Long Halloween/Dark Victory
Green Lantern and Aquaman by Geoff Johns
Flashpoint
The Flash by Mark Waid
Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Dennis O’Neal
Swamp Thing Original/Saga of the Swamp Thing
All Star Superman
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
Wonder Woman by George Perez
Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison
Zatanna by Paul Dini
The New Teen Titans
Batwoman New 52 #1-24
Batman New 52 by Scott Snyder
Detective Comics Rebirth (2016)
Kingdom Come
Green Arrow by Mike Grell
The Dark Knight Returns
DC The New Frountier
Hellblazer
Batman: The Black Mirror
The Crisis’s: Crisis on Infinite Earth’s, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Flashpoint
The Question by Dennis O’Neal
Suicide Squad by John Ostrander
Knightfall Saga
Mad Love
Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight
Nightwing and Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixon
Elseworld Stories
Superman Rebirth (May require some research to understand what is happening in this series)

Series not on here, but still worth checking out

The Sandman
Black Orchid
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth
Harleen
Mister Miracle by Tom King
Watchmen

2 Likes