The Batwoman Thread

I’m praying that Jackson lanzing and Collin Kelly, the creative team of the Outsiders series with Batwoman and Batwing are doing their homework here. Towards the end of her rebirth series, you get this exchange between Batman and Batwoman that would be amazing to see come up in Outsider.
Here is a slight spoiler toward the end of Rebirth Batwoman run.

After Batwoman narrowing stops Batman from putting Beth Kane in Arkham Asylum by triggering the trauma of the night he lost his parents by playing back a recording of the gun that killed his parents. Batman allows Kate to take Beth, but with one clear warning.

Perhaps during Gotham War, Batman threatens strike three and instead of taking that nonsense, leaves Gotham entirely. It would be the perfect excuse as to why Kate Kane leaves Gotham to begin working with Luke Fox, Batwing.

3 Likes

Wait…has Batwoman been involved with Gotham War? I thought she was but I can’t remember

3 Likes

She was in the sit down with the rest of the Bat-family in Battle Lines. It’s one of the few characters I believe would agree with Catwoman. Although not likely work with her like Red Hood.

3 Likes

My favorite Batwoman depiction in media was in Batman: Bad Blood.
That version perfectly captures the best quirks about Batwoman. Her pragmatism by using guns, an sarcastic attitude which gives her the best banter in the Bat-family. And she’s just shown as an genuine all around badass.
tumblr_3c46a4703da7c01ad018416921b3e055_49ff0da2_400
If the new 52 DCUAU was still around, I would want a movie around this version of the character.
x75

2 Likes

Finally finished “Batwoman: Elegy” and it was really damn good. The art is fantastic and I love getting to know Kate Kane on a more personal level.

Also, I did come across one layout that I found interesting. Now, it’s safe to say that Bruce has some anger issues. And Kate has her own moments of anger and frustration. But looking at this specific layout, I do get the sense that Bruce takes his role as Batman as…not exactly a burden, that comes off the wrong way. But more like an obligation that he can never abandon. You can tell by the scowl and how he treats criminals. For Kate on the other hand, this makes it seem like she does genuinely enjoy being Batwoman. Not in any sadistic way, but more like she is fulfilling a calling. You can tell by the ever so slight smirk.

3 Likes

If one thing is always true to Batwoman is that she always has the most interesting pages. They have so much going on that tell you who the character.

Batwoman (2017) #8

3 Likes

I’m already finishing up most of the new 52 Batwoman, and later have some thoughts I love to share about the CW show. But for now, let me just say that when reading Batwoman Rebirth my two favorite moments from the series are one where Beth as a child is sad when she can’t dress up as a pirate with her sister for Halloween because of a cast on her arm, so Kate decides to change up their costumes and dress up as mummies instead.

And at the last issue after both Renee and Batwoman defeat the clock king, he describes to Bulluck how his foiled scheme was totally bonkers and that maybe lesbians were involved. :joy:

2 Likes

The Rebirth book really was a fun time

2 Likes

I’m a fan of Question and Batwoman, but it’s funny you know. I Have no genuine preference on Kate’s relationship between either Renee Montoya or Maggie Sawyer.

Why didn’t Dan Didio let these two get married I would never know.

2 Likes

Because they like teasing gay romance but never comitting. Also, they seem to have a thing against weddings in general

2 Likes

To think we lost a great creative team co-writers J.H. Williams III and W. Haden of Batwoman from this decision. What a Shame.
Well, Pride comics are still here. They usually do big stuff around those times and DC has gotten better with showcasing more prominent LGBTQ representation. Hopefully next time they would be willing to give Kate a second shot at marriage.

1 Like

Hydrology is a pretty interesting start for Batwoman in the new 52 era with Batwoman actually fighting a ghost all while dealing with the DEO and the aftermath from the Elegy storyline. I like a lot about the volume and I while the storyline is not as memorable compared to Elegy or later arcs in this series, it does a pretty great job at making a great introduction to Batwoman.

Coming from someone who is from South-Central Texas, whose heard all the stories before, seeing La Llorona is rather funny and how DC comics incorporated the mythos of Batman books with that of Mexican folklore. I think the way Batwoman fights La Llorona was pretty awesome though and it’s interesting to see how Batwoman handles an more complicated threat than your average supervillain.

I think for the most part those supernatural elements are handled really well, but this story really shines is when it’s focusing on Kate Kane herself. While an impressive crime-fighter she’s also one vulnerable to her emotions and Kate Kane isn’t always portrayed as a great person as she’s gets easily more frustrated at situations not in her control and I love that rough attitude in some parts, but I do feel less sympathetic when she hurts Flamebird feelings. As I said before, Kate’s an complex superhero, dealing with the inertia of being an lesbain superhero who has to deal with personal trauma on a daily basis which unlike Batman, she can’t really separate from her personal life.

The art in Batwoman is phenomenal. J. H Williams III has this amount of crazy detail and beautiful look, like really nothing in the new 52 can’t compare to it.

There is is these great scene in #4 where sensuality is juxtaposed with violence that is honestly brutal as much as it was surprising to see romance portrayed that way in a DC comic. After I finished this series a week ago it still sticks as one of the more memorable moments from Batwoman.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve picked up on while reading her stories is that Batwoman is more likely to deal with supernatural enemies than Batman. Not to say Bruce hasn’t had his fair share of solo adventures against the unexplained, but he is usually accompanied by a magic user like Zatanna or Deadman. Kate, on the other hand, will still go in solo and not have much assistance outside of her usual supporting cast

2 Likes

Before being revealed to be her cousin, I like the connection that Kate Kane has with Batman is not by blood but rather is this kinship that she feels toward the symbol that she wants to understand.

Detective Comics #949

I like this explain a lot, more so than the convenience of being related, Kate’s motivations are both dependent and independent of Batman. She doesn’t want to appropriate a Bat symbol for her own reasons, unlike another Bat related character, (Jace Fox) Kate’s inspired by Batman to become Batwoman and seeks to understand his cause to inform her own motivations.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the status of their current relationship, but hopefully they still are on speaking terms, my favorite parts of Batwoman were there father-daughter relationship.

2 Likes

I can imagine Bruce and Kate getting into a heated fight one day. Then at some point, she says something along the lines “At least I didn’t lose both parents.”

Even Jason would have been like “I know I’ve chopped off heads, but that was RUTHLESS!”

2 Likes

I heard that the new Outsiders book had a moment where Kate made it clear that following the events of Gotham War, she is absolutely done doing things Bruce’s way and doesn’t even want to work with him.

Intellectually, I completely agree with her. But…they are cousins. I do hope they can actuall make some kind of amends

2 Likes

Decided to give the new Outsiders a read even though I don’t actually follow the team. Mainly here for Batwoman. Good so far and I like her snowsuit

4 Likes

Her snowsuit is so cool! :+1:

3 Likes

I somehow forgot that I once paid an artist to draw Jessica Chastain as Batwoman

3 Likes