The Batwoman Thread

I’m actually kind of surprised an official discussion/appreciation thread doesn’t already exist for this character. Anyway, have fun everyone!

5 Likes

My favorite Batwoman.

DK43

5 Likes

And you are right on time! Actually, I thought this thread would be quiet for a little while longer before you would show up. But welcome!

6 Likes

I shall brood on this.

5 Likes

I remember when Kate dated Nocturna. Not the best time for her but you know what, it did give us a pretty funny joke in Detective Comics.

7 Likes

I will say one of my favorite Kate Kane arcs is Rise of the Batmen, when she leads and trains the new Bat-Team. She was (and still is) such a badass!

4 Likes

@EDT Made a Batwoman thread, so of course I would want to catch up all Batwoman content, and I should. She along with Batwing are coming out with an Outsiders series soon, and I got to know everything I can about Batwoman as well before that series arrives.

Any particular storylines featuring Batwoman I should check out?

5 Likes

I remembee reading her New 52 and that it was overall decent. Her Rebirth book was a little better so that’s also worth checking out

3 Likes

I remember that storyline. Nocturna was pretty harsh at the end. They didn’t need to close that shipping possibility THAT hard.

Also, what issue of DC is that panel from?

3 Likes

Aye yo @Mae you wanna get in on this Batwoman love?

3 Likes

She’s great and that’s all there is to it! I’ve gushed about Kate so much in the past, I don’t think I have anything original or profound to say. I’ll keep an eye on this thread for delicious art though :eyes: :purple_heart:

4 Likes

So new 52 and rebirth are good places to start? Any other suggestions for comics? I’ve read some of her in Urban Legends. I thought that was good

3 Likes

I’m gonna read Elegy, a Batwoman story pre-Flashpoint, and I’m gonna check her out in Tynion’s Detective Comics run because I heard both are good

3 Likes

If you’re looking for a start, drop everything and ready Elegy (her first run in Detective Comics):

4 Likes

Elegy is one of the best stories DC has ever published.

4 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken, Kate Kane made her debut in the maxi-series “52” early on in Renee Montoya’s storyline. Then she would reappear as Batwoman towards the end as Renee & The Question have their confrontation with the Religion of Crime.

I liked Kate and Maggie in the New 52, but I’m still hoping Kate & Renee reunite

3 Likes

Thank you!!
Batwoman

4 Likes

Oh yea, the TV show! By the time that came out, I was mentally done with the CW shows, only hanging in there for their COIE adaptation. I checked out the show and ended up watching the entire first season.

I actually thought it was decent for a CW show. Personally, I thought Ruby Rose did well and I really liked Alice. My favorite moment wouod have to come from the season 1 finale where she confronts the escaped Arkham inmate and there was a moment where it felt like Kate was actually making a connection with the guy to descalate the situation and actually end things peacefully. But then more chaos happened. Haven’t watched the show beyond season 1

3 Likes

Gotten to check out Batwoman Rebirth and wow!

I enjoyed reading this run of Batwoman, and it reminded me of how far and complex Batwoman is. Dealing with her “lost year” she had when she landed on the island of Coryana, and met Safiayah, queen of the pirates. Along her journey, she is accompanied by the criminally underused, Julia Pennyworth, as Batwoman finally closing a chapter of her life in probably her most important adventures as Batwoman.

-The first volume: Many Arms of Death features her coming back to the island to confront a past rival, knives, who is part of a terrorist group called the Hands of Death. It also includes a special issue set in the future where evil Tim Drake Batman was around. I could only say yes, that it does exist.

-The second volume of Batwoman is a classic tale of strange, with Kate Kane’s search for Safiiyah leading her to the Sahara Desert, where she faces a bitter foe, a familiar Gotham villain, and her own personal demons. This volume deals a lot with Kate’s flaws as a hero. My overall summary is here for people who are interested.

Summary

Kate’s problem with the past is often a weakness, as it is her strength. It is how she defeated Scarecrow but how she was unable to stop Professor PYG, who toys with her emotions, fears, and past trauma, causing her to let him escape. She does not sugarcoat her mistakes, admitting that she let people down and needs to reevaluate what kind of justice she wants if she allows people like him to get away. As Batwoman continues her quest to end the Many Hands of Death group, she must confront her biggest challenge yet when Bette/Alice is captured.

-Third Volume: The fall of the House of Kate is super great. It provides an awesome ending for Batwoman where it gives Kate a long deserved date with Renee Montoya and even a happy ending for Beth.
Overall, the three volumes provide a pretty great storyline for any established Batwoman fan and those who are largely newcomers to the character. Recommended for sure. It gives a certain fitness that gives Batwoman not a happy ending, but a path toward one, which I love.

3 Likes

I remember the Rebirth stories being really great. Especially pirates, that was fun! And she feels like a Bat vigilante more suited for globe trotting adventures than Batman even

3 Likes