The Adventures of Shazam! and Superman: The Film and TV Edition

I posted a similarly themed thread regarding Shazam and Superman in the Comics section that highlighted some of their adventures in that medium. Now let’s discuss their united tales in movies and television!

Their first movie pairing came in 2010’s Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam. A short film that features Billy Batson discovering the wizard Shazam (voiced by the legendary James Garner! Star of film and screen in Grand Prix, Maverick and The Rockford Files, to name but a few) and having the powers of Shazam bestowed upon him. Black Adam (played by The Mummy and live action Zartan himself, Arnold Vosloo) shows up to ruffle Billy’s feathers. Superman (voiced by George Newbern) gets more than a few choice moves in too, including a way of stopping an attack of Black Adam’s that clearly leaves the black and yellow adorned foe quite stunned.

The next movie pairing of Shazam and Superman came in 2014’s Justice League: War, an adaptation of the initial storyline (which featured no title as it came out in single issues) of The New 52 Justice League series. Alan Tudyk (Mr. Nobody of Doom Patrol, to notate his most recent DC credit) played Superman while Zach Callison reprised his role of Billy Batson from Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam. This time, the ever fun Sean Astin took the magical reigns from Jerry O’Connell (who played Captain Marvel in the previously mentioned movie) to play The World’s Mightiest Mortal. Shazam was not in the story the movie is based on, but in the movie he takes the place of Aquaman on the Justice League.

Speaking of the King of The Seven Seas, next up for Shazam and Superman is Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. An adaptation of the comic book crossover story of the same name from the New 52 Justice League and Aquaman series (which is available in the Comics section), this movie sees little of the Mortal/Last Son pairing as, in a departure from the source material, it is mostly an Aquaman focused adventure, essentially making this the first animated Aquaman movie in all but title. Nevertheless Sean Astin returns as Shazam! with Jerry O’Connell making his debut as Superman.

Regarding TV…

The most notable TV team-up of Shaz and Supes that I’m aware of was in the “Clash” episode of Justice League Unlimited. Lex is moving forward with his presidential bid while Captain Marvel is seemingly endorsing him (Oh, Billy! For shame).

Being the arrogant dbag that he is, Lex incites Superman and Shazam to rumble, which was all part of his plan to further discredit the Justice League; thankfully those meddling super heroes saw that he didn’t get away with it. Captain Marvel was voiced by Jerry O’Connell, who would go on to play him again but as a different iteration of the character in (as noted above) Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam.

Not to be anti-climactic, but this is the only TV outing of Shazam and Superman that I’m familiar with offhand. I know Shazam has appeared in many other animated productions, but I’m not aware of anything else with him and Superman in the same episode. If anyone else is, you’re more than welcome to notate that below.

So, what do you think of these film and TV based adventures of Shazam and Superman? Is there anything not on this list that you’re a fan of? Discuss away =)