The 85th Anniversary of Superman is Coming!

Not from the comics, but my all-time favourite Superman story is the classic Fleischer animated short “Mechanical Monsters.” Supes was at his best in those cartoons.

9 Likes

Superman is my favorite DC hero and my favorite Superhero in general. Glad to see people celebrating his upcoming 85th b-day!

Congrats on 85 super years of stories Supes! Here’s to 85 more! :beers:

13 Likes

louis-tomlisson-superman

9 Likes

I loved

Available on DCUI, btw. We even had a Book Club focusing on the comic here on the community as well. Good times. Brought about very interesting and enlightening discussions. Probably my favorite Superman story, ngl

11 Likes

What a perfect excuse to rewatch Superman: The Animated Series. Happy birthday, Supes!

8 Likes

YES!!! Second-best comic of all time!!!

10 Likes

Superman: Secret Identity

Clark vs Lex throughout all of Smallville

Ooh! Definitely Ivan Reis!

All of them!

8 Likes

With a post like that makes me glad you’re a member of a month! :smiley:

:superman:

7 Likes

Aw! Thanks @Lincolnfan78!

7 Likes

Hey @staticshocks,
I’ve got so excited that I didn’t see your questions, so here we go, :smiley: :superman:

1. My favorite Superman storyline, probably has to be from The Death Of Superman to Return of Superman, cause growing up in the 90s, that story was a huge deal at the time, what made it so special? DC Comic was killing off a beloved hero!
    I was sad and heartbroken, I really thought it was the end of Superman and he’s not coming back.
    The reign of Superman storyline was really interesting and was thrill to see Superman again, at the time I wasn’t crazy about him having a long hair, but it grew on me, so I’m use to it! :rofl:

2. Favorite fight is Superman Vs. Metallo, cause I think that’s a fair battle, not only he’s fighting a villain, he has to deal with his weakness as well…Kryptonite! :superman_hv_2:

3. Favorite Artist is the man who started it all with his Co-Creator Joe Shuster. Had it not been for him, and Jerry Siegel, there would’ve been no Superman, and maybe there would’ve been no superheroes as well, these guys were a genius. They definitely deserve to be remembered. :pensive: :superman_hv_4:

4. Best Superman moment…That’s a tough one, probably when Superman The Movie first came out, I was a baby when it first hit theater, that movie is a movie masterpiece! From the music to the casting, I love everything about this film, I can still remember the first time I saw the movie, I was probably 4 or 5 years old, I really believe that Superman was real at the time, Christopher Reeve was perfect for the role.
    I remember how scary General Zod was in Superman 2, but that’s a story for another time.

I never realize til now, Superman is 40 years older then me! :grinning:

Also my favorite Team-up is when Superman & Spider-man Team-up! As far as I know, they had 2 different Team-up, I sincerely hope that someday DC Universe Infinite or Marvel Unlimited will allow a Marvel and DC Crossover on one or both of the app, it would be so great to read them again! :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s it for now from me, but I’ll be back.:sunglasses:

Can’t wait til April!

:superman:

10 Likes

Best Superman moment: him getting married to Lois

9 Likes

yay happy 85 superman

7 Likes

I was adopted as a baby. It was never a secret, my family was always open about it. But just to make sure it wasn’t a stigma for me to carry, my grandmother would read me Superman comics and tell me, “see, Clark Kent was adopted, and he’s Superman!” Superman has been my favorite hero ever since. Also, it led me to a life of working in newspapers. You take the good with the bad, I guess…

Anyway… favorite Superman stories: Kingdom Come, Emperor Joker, All-Star Superman, American Alien and, of course Death and Return.

Favorite Superman writers: Always a big Dan Jurgens fan. Grant Morrison just gets it.

Favorite moment: Superman wrestles an Angel in JLA.

Hopefully, everyone keeps their Superman faves coming! I love reading it!

10 Likes

My answers to a lot of these will hue modern/recent.

Favorite Storylines

I will mention some that I don’t think many others will mention:

• Superman: For Tomorrow by Brian Azzarello and Jim Lee. It’s been years since I’ve read this, but I remember I couldn’t put it down till I was done. A good chunk of the world population vanishes, including Lois. Supes has introspective conversations with a priest. Balls out action. Incomparable art by Jim Lee
  • The Unity Saga by Brian Bendis and Ivan Reis. It’s comprised of issues 1 through 15 of the Superman (2018-) series. I know some of you will consider this a controversial choice, but I have to be true to my favorites. All 32 issues of that series are worth a read, but the Unity Saga is special. A story spanning earth to the far reaches of space, with Superman & Son helping bring unity to the universe. Great action, great voice for Superman/Clark, and just about the best art I’ve ever seen by my favorite artist, Ivan Reis. This story is followed directly by “The Truth” where Clark reveals his alter ego to the world, another gem.
  • Warworld Saga by Phillip Kennedy Johnson

This where the current Action Comics run starts, a run that has seemingly united Superman fans behind it and reinvigorated interest in The Man of Steel. Supes spends all his time here on another planet, Warworld, in an attempt to free it from slavery, while being severely powered down. It’s Johnson’s statement on what makes Clark Kent Superman, and it is not to be missed.

• Superman: Space Age by Mark Russell and Mike Allred

A tale spanning the 60s, 70s, and 80s of US history, tying into the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths, while also exploring what it means to be Superman. Instant classic.

• The Death & Return of Superman by Dan Jurgens, Louise Simonson, Roger Stern, Karl Kessel, Tom Grummet, Jon Bogdanove, Jackson Guice, & others.

Ok so this one will be on most lists, but I couldn’t help mention it. You’ve heard the sales pitch countless times by now. The comics event that put Superman & DC Comics on the news, and that explored the character’s significance not only to Metropolis, but the DCU at large. It’s peak Triangle Era Superman, and a must read, imo.

Favorite Fights

• Superman Vs. Doomsday from Death of Superman. Art by Dan Jurgens.

• Superman Vs. Rogol Zaar from The Unity Saga. Their fights were awesome. Art by Ivan Reis.

Favorite Artist Portrayals

Ivan Reis

Jim Lee

Lee Bermejo

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

John Byrne

Dan Jurgens

Mike Allred

Alex Ross

Favorite Superman Moments

Oh man… way too many. I will try to list a few without going down an endless rabbit hole, which is difficult for me, as you can tell by how long this post has already gotten.

• The ending to “Generations” from Superman Red & Blue #5 was the first time I was brought to tears reading a comic. As a father, and as a Superman fan, it hit me in a pretty tender place. I believe this short was nominated for an Eisner, and for good reason.
  • The ending to season 2 of Superman & Lois. When this happened, I was grinning from ear to ear. Epic sequence.

• “You’ve got me? Who’s got you?” This scene from Superman: The Movie, along with the timeless John Williams score, is where it all started for me. Rest in peace, both of you.

Whoo whee! Sorry for the overly long post. It’s Superman & I got carried away. Happy 85th Supes, and thank you to all the writers and artists that have brought your stories to the page and the screen throughout the years :00_superman1:

10 Likes

85 five years of SUPERMAN! WOW!!!
I have been reading Superman comics since 1966. Favorites associated with The Man of Steel? You might as well ask me to count the grains of sand on the beach! But like my favorite fictional character I will try to rise to the occasion and pull together a favorites list. Here goes!!
Favorite story: “For The Man Who Has Everything” Superman Annual #5, 1985, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
Favorite fight: (fighting is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about Superman) But of course, Superman and Doomsday slugging it out in the streets of Metropolis
Favorite Artist: That’s easy, Curt Swan
Favorite Writer: This one is a tie–John Byrne and Dan Jurgens
Favorite moments: Clark finally reveals his Superman identity to Lois. Action Comics #662, by Roger Stern and Bob McLeod
Superboy (!) must decide whether or not to sacrifice 30th century Metropolis in order to save the Universe from the Fatal Five.
Adventure comics #366, by Jim Shotter, Curt Swan and George Klein
Superman; “I’m for everyone.” Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank
Favorite Actors to portray Superman: Christopher Reeve, George Reeves and Dean Cain.
Favorite big screen Superman adaptation: “Superman: The Movie”
Favorite small screen Superman adaptation: “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”
Favorite supporting character: Need anyone ask? Lois Lane, of course!
And I will end my list with my two favorite Superman quotes from across all media:
“Don’t worry miss. I’ve got you.”
“You’ve got me?! Who’s got you?!”
and…“Lois, Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am.”

9 Likes

I’m so glad you cited the source of that moment — I’ve been combing through everything trying to find exactly when this happened!

Also a fave!

Of course! Besides Lois, who is a total badass, my other favorite would be Jimmy. I like how haphazard he is … guy just seems to have the worst luck in the world.

8 Likes

Absolutely no apologies necessary. I love when people talk about something they’re really passionate about — and Supes deserves it on his 85th!

You’ve also given me plenty to read. Superman is one of those characters I mostly know on the surface level, and some of that comes from his interactions with Batman (I love their dichotomy); I definitely want to read more about him and these are great recs!

I also recently read Superman #1 for Dawn of DC and enjoyed that. So definitely looking forward to cracking into more this month. :superman:

Imagine me rubbing my hands together like a fly and going “yeeeeeeesssss”. He has some really beautiful and absolutely seamless work.

Curious — how do we feel about this costume overall? It’s definitely interesting for someone who hasn’t yet read RoS. Is it made out of some void matter that makes it completely dark, or is that a stylistic choice?

7 Likes

I really like this cover in particular:

Superman’s made of primary colors, so I like seeing primary colors used in his surroundings too. The highlight of yellow outlining him with the black of his cape makes this POP. That’d be something I’d want framed on my wall.

9 Likes

This is amazing.

7 Likes

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope you enjoy at least some of the stuff I listed.

Superman #1 was excellent work by Williamson and Campbell. If they keep it up, they will be making it on my lists in the future.

If I remember correctly, it’s a “Kryptonian Regeneration Suit”. The black helped him absorb more solar energy so that he could heal faster. Don’t recall anything about exotic void matter :slightly_smiling_face:.

As to my feelings about it, I will always prefer Superman with a cape, but I like it nonetheless. Jurgens gave it a good in-story explanation, but I think it also had something to do with black and shiny silver being a cool combination to look at!

Now you’ve given me ideas for a couple more favorites to mention. Something to do while I wait for my kid at the dentist’s this morning!

8 Likes