The 52 Book Club: Week Twenty-Seven

Welcome back to the 52 Book Club, where each week we read an issue of the acclaimed year-long series in celebration of its 15th anniversary!

This week we’ll be starting the second half of this series with issue 27, written by the usual gang of Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Geoff Johns and Mark Waid, with layouts by Keith Giffen and finishes by Shawn Moll. This issue also has a Secret Origins back-up starring Black Canary written by Mark Waid and drawn by Howard Chaykin.

The weekly series begins its second half! Ralph Dibny confronts the Spectre and shows his wife’s murderer the true meaning of the word ‘hell’. Meanwhile, The Question and Renee Montoya train in the mountains of Nanda Parbat!

LINK: 52 #27

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

1 Like

I still feel so sorry for Ralph. This obsession with bringing back Sue is not going to end well. I have forgotten a lot of this story, so I am enjoying rereading it.

2 Likes

Looks like I’ll be playing 52 Pickup this weekend

2 Likes

Nice self-contained story actually this time around with a thoughtful morality play that had a sort of Dickens Christmas Carol feel to it.

1 Like

Oh yeah, Ralph’s story at this point is in some ways romantic, but mostly just tragic. It’s like Romeo taking the poison after seeing Juliet’s seeming corpse.

Moral of the story: Don’t sell your soul to the devil. You hear me, Spider-Man?!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :smiley:

2 Likes