The 52 Book Club: Week Twenty-Five

Hello and welcome to the 52 Book Club, where each week we read an issue of the critically acclaimed maxi-series 52 for it’s 15th anniversary!

This week we’re reading, you guessed it, issue number 25, written by the usual motley crew of Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Geoff Johns and Mark Waid; with art breakdowns by Keith Giffen and finishes by Joe Bennett, Dale Eaglesham, Phil Jimenez, and Patrick Oliffe. This also features a Secret Origins back-up about Nightwing written by Mark Waid with art by George Perez.

One Marvel Family meets another, and Ralph Dibny’s journey through hell with Fate continues. And what exactly are the Four Horsemen?

LINK: 52 #25

Let us know what you think about this issue down below! And if you’re just joining us and you want to catch up, you can do so by checking out the hashtag 52-book-club!

Also, I just want to say sorry for being off by a day for this one – wasn’t even that crazy a day, but I guess it was just crazy enough to slip my mind. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah Monday as a reading day turned into Monday as a shopping / sleeping / get my flu vaccination day…

2 Likes

Week 25 had some good moments. The Crime Bible, in my view, while an interesting concept that assumes there is “good” and “evil” and even accepts Old Testament Bible stories as truth, resulted later in storylines that were usually subpar, uninspired and at best just disturbing. Throwing in cannibalism was just over the top, again compared to the far scarier presentations of pure evil imitating a glossy “good” like Lex L.

Nice to see this classic Silver Age Wonder Woman villain show up.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t really remember them showing up anywhere else outside of Kate’s tenure on Detective Comics. It’s a bit of a shame they didn’t get to do anything really more interesting after that. Now that I think about it, I wonder if there could have been some overlay with some other similar groups like the Court of Owls.

Definitely, and in a way that is significantly less like a racial stereotype!

1 Like

I hesitate to share this link, but here is the disturbing miniseries that ran during 52:

Heh, it’s funny you mention that one, because I was considering doing that as part of this “group” as it is part of the 52 Aftermath stuff. I haven’t read it since it came out, but I remember liking it well enough, if not much else.