The 52 Book Club: Week Thirty-Four

Hello and welcome to the 52 Book Club, where each week we read an issue of the critically acclaimed series in celebration of it’s 15th anniversary!

This week we’ll be reading issue #34, written by the usual gang of Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns and Mark Waid, with art breakdowns by Keith Giffen and finishes by Joe Bennett. This issue also features a Secret Origins back-up starring Zatanna written by Mark Waid and drawn by Brian Bolland.

The Suicide Squad makes a move on the Black Marvel Family, which means Black Adam and an old friend share words and blows! And the various heroes and villains ring in the coming New Year with a bang…and a whisper.

LINK: 52 #34

If you’re just joining us or need to catch up, you can use the hashtag 52-book-club!

Looking forward to talking about this issue with you all. :smiley:

2 Likes

52 #34 …hey, I’m up to the New Year’s Eve issue now!

Nice appearance by The Suicide Squad although I’m puzzled why the Persuader from the 31th Century Legion storylines shows up here.

I’m sure we’ll find this is some 20th century version with the same Atomic axe which I’m not sure I’m buying today… or maybe not, considering what happened to this guy.

This is also my favorite version of Amanda Waller doing all this just to get some psychological warfare edge on Black Adam and family.

Wow I wonder what horrible thing Lex Luthor is up to now as the ball drops for New Year’s Eve 15 years ago… I’ll have to get to that next issue soon (that I already read once but somehow have forgotten many details over the years).

1 Like

See, when I was reading the issue, I was thinking that maybe he could have been trapped in the present as part of the JLA/JSA cross-over shortly after Infinite Crisis, but yeah, considering he turns into pink mist, that’s probably not the case. :sweat_smile:

1 Like