The 52 Book Club: Week Ten

Hello, and welcome to the latest installment of the 52 Book Club, where each week we read an issue of the acclaimed maxi-series!

This week we’re reading issue #10, written as always by Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Geoff Johns, and Greg Rucka, with breakdowns by Keith Giffen and pencils by Chris Batista! This issue also continues the back-up story chronicling the (then) History of the DC Universe written and drawn by Dan Jurgens.

Who is the new guardian of Metropolis known as Supernova? Clark Kent attempts to break the story of the year in a way that would make his wife Lois Lane proud. Meanwhile, across the world, Black Adam holds court in Kahndaq and encounters unexpected civilian resistance!

Link to the issue can be found here: 52 #10

This reading will be current from 2021-07-12T05:00:00Z2021-07-18T05:00:00Z, but much like my other club, everyone’s welcome to come back at a later date to share your thoughts. :slight_smile:

If you’re just finding this little club and want to start from the beginning, check out the tag 52-book-club to catch up!

Looking forward to talking this issue with you guys! :smiley:

1 Like

Very interesting to see Clark operate as a regular guy.

1 Like

I agree – I feel like the human aspect of Clark Kent and the Daily Planet has been overlooked for a way long damn time, and that can have some really cool stuff. Sadly nowadays that’s pretty much completely gone since his secret his out. :\

1 Like

Another quick fun read. I assume the refuge lady becomes Mrs. Black Adam for a while later in the narrative.

While we wait for Clark’s battery to recharge, we get this:

Aaaaaiiiieeeeee!

3 Likes

I really enjoyed 52 when i read it the first time and enjoyed rereading this issue. I liked Clark taking the Lois approach and hurling himself out the window. it made me think…would he have survived the fall? He alludes to not being fully “charged” in his conversation with Lois. Did he have enough charge to get seriously f’d up but still survive?
This series really made me like Black Adam. He does what he does out of a warped sense of whats right and wrong. It brings to mind how we judge that kind of stuff in the real world. Just because we as a culture, feel its wrong, doesnt mean the rest of the world views it the same. Whos to say who is wrong or right?

2 Likes

Me looking at the description: “Clark breaks the story in a way that would make Lois proud?” Huh, wonder what that could be…

Me watching Clark yeet himself out the window:

Seriously, it was really interesting to see Clark having to deal with the fact that without his powers, being a reporter is actually harder on him, and he’s been kind of using it as a crutch all these years. I kind of wish we got more of that. Plus, watching Lois freak out and Clark being like “I learned it from watching you” was priceless though.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. I wonder what coulda have come out of there…

2 Likes

a pretty butterfly

2 Likes

i sure wont … “mind” finding out

2 Likes

The one with the really unfortunate name? Yep, I believe so.

It’s cool reading this today when we’re actually going to be seeing her in action next year in the Black Adam movie, played by Sarah Shahi.

Definitely – while other series like Ordway’s Power of Shazam and especially Johns’ JSA got him there, this series I think is what really propelled Black Adam to the role he has now, and is likely why he has a movie coming out next year (having a major actor and producer be a big fan helps a lot too).

Okay, calm down, Kovacs. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes