The 52 Book Club: Week Fifteen

Hello and welcome to the 52 Book Club, where to celebrate its 15th anniversary, each week we read an issue of this acclaimed maxi-series.

As you can probably guess, this week we’ll be covering issue 15, written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Greg Rucka, with art breakdowns by Keith Giffen and finishes by Shawn Moll. This issue also has a back up featuring the origin of Steel, written by Mark Waid and drawn by Jon Bogdanove.

Renee and The Question break out while Booster Gold’s obsession with Supernova slowly pushes him over the edge. When Metropolis faces a major disaster, Booster’s ego might not be the only thing that suffers a deadly blow!

LINK: 52 #15

Looking forward to talking about this issue with you guys! :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow! Booster just couldnt take it anymore! It’s really not a good look for Booster! You could almost taste the rage and fury coming off of Booster when he attacked Supernova. Its probably a good thing there were no Red Lantern rings in the area, looking for new recruits. We might’ve had the newest rage ring slinger! I loved the big ugly monster, exactly what I’d expect from a comic book monster!
I’m really enjoying the Question story. I love the art and I’m digging Renee. Shes such a strong female character without being that over the top, girl power chick. I think thats why I like her so much.
Overall a good issue. Cant wait to see if Renee and Charlie make it out of prison and is Booster really dead?

2 Likes

I have always had mixed feelings about Booster Gold with his whole publicity seeking shtick. Sorry to see him go out like that, though. Renee and The Question are a good team. Hope they can find the answers they need and get out of Kanhdaq.

1 Like

I’m the same way with Booster. He doesnt seem very heroic to me.

1 Like

So tell me again how Booster Gold gets out of this cuz he looks kind of dead dead dead here…

1 Like

Hmm…maybe, but I think Booster is a stronger candidate for the Orange Ring than anything. After all, his rage here comes from a desire – a greedy need – to be recognized.

Renee is pretty damn awesome, and she continues to be throughout the series.

I can see the pros and cons as a character – on one hand, it can potentially make him unlikeable, but on the other hand, it also makes him unique among the other DC heroes.

Hmm…he does seem pretty dead, but he does have his own ongoing series after the release. I honestly don’t remember how he comes back, so I guess we’ll all find out together. :smiley:

Speaking of, I’m thinking once we finish the 52 series of continuing just a little further, dealing with the aftermath mini-series like 52: The Four Horsemen and Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood. I wonder if the first arc of Booster Gold, literally called “52 Pick Up”. Would anyone be interested in that?

2 Likes

52 pickup is of great interest to me.

The rest I would prefer to avoid.

Im down to read anything. im trying to become well versed in the DC universe. but its so vast that i find myself jumping around. ill read old stuff freom the 80s and then bounce up to death metal, and then go back to Wonder Woman from mid 2000s. So I’ll read anything if it helps me get a better feel for the multiverse.

1 Like

Fair enough – I remember reading Five Lessons of Blood a while back and liking it well enough. I don’t think I’ve even heard of The Four Horsemen until I was looking at it on DCUI, so that should be curious to read at least.

I hear you. I kind of get the same thing – though it’s less knowing things because I have read and researched long enough that I have a fairly good understanding of what happened, but more so I have a more personal opinion of these things, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Thats how I want to get. When they refer to something, I want to be like “ok, I remember that happening”

1 Like