The 52 Book Club: Week Eighteen

Hello and welcome to the 52 Book Club, where each week we read an issue of the acclaimed series in celebration of it’s 15th anniversary!

This week we’re reading issue 18, written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Greg Rucka, with art breakdowns by Keith Giffen and finishes by Eddy Barrows. It also features a back-up Secret Origin story of The Question, written by Mark Waid and drawn by Joe Bennett.

A hero’s funeral, an appearance by Shadowpact, a new bearer for the helmet of Fate! The action continues in Week 18 of the year-long series by writers Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid!

LINK: 52 #18

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

1 Like

I think I can I think I can I think I can I think I can

1 Like

I enjoyed this issue. Fate is one of my favorite characters. If seems we’re back to desperate Ralph. I really feel for him. His despair comes thru loud and clear. I’m also liking Detective Chimp more and more. Funny how a chimp is usually the most grounded character in his scenes. And once again I have to state how much I dig Renee! She couldn’t care less about Black Adam or his medal. I think she might be the single most believable character in comics. Who hasn’t had those nights of “drunkenly taking pleasure”?

What fun I own 52 every issue I read it when it came out 15 years ago… and I honestly don’t remember much of this at all.

So it’s been fun reading it over again really like it’s the first time. I guess 52 comic books is a lot of comics to try to remember.

For this issue, two items caught my eye:

@capo-mage Cincinnati just can’t catch a break.

And this was a great last panel; I do like many of these characters portrayed here.

1 Like

Yes that’s my favorite iteration of Enchantress. Cincinnati has the Hall Of Justice. Inspiration for it, but it’s the Hall Of Justice pretty much exactly. A lot of people think Ohio should have a comic book hall of fame. Got Superman (Cleveland) 1st Superhero ever. The aforementioned Hall Of Justice, Aquamans creator. Plus it’s known as the cradle of writers due to the multitude of characters created, & writers of characters. I’m completely satisfied with the Rock Hall & the NFL Football Hall Of Fame myself. But, absolutely wouldn’t complain if they decided to give us comics too…

1 Like

I hear that – there’s a lot of book in this series, and I’ve read A LOT of books since this series finished, so I’m with you on the “oh, I kinda remember this” and “I don’t remember this AT ALL.” Like the Booster thing – I know from other books where his story goes, but I don’t remember the how of it all.

Cincinnati aside, I did like how Clark showed up at the funeral – his relationship with Booster has been…rocky in the past, but dude will always show props and respect for those who do truly try their best to help, and while Booster was in a dark place, he did “die” saving Metropolis.

Oh yeah, remember how Entrantress used to be portrayed with a Wicked Witch hat instead of a grungy goth princess because of the movie?

(I actually like the modern look a little better, I just thought it was funny).

And with all the Ohio talk, let me put on some mood music:

1 Like