Team One: Stormwatch

I came up with a Random Comic Generator for picking out random comics to try, and it landed me on this random Wildstorm comic. I know almost nothing about Wildstorm. In my experience, everything from the early Image days that isn’t Savage Dragon is pretty terrible, but I haven’t delved too deep into Jim Lee’s creations.

I kind of liked this, but I’m sure it’s not written for me. The first issue did a good job with setting up the scenario, and it was pretty good. I was interested, but the second issue was essentially all generic action with characters I barely knew using powers I didn’t understand, and it was just meh.

I know this is a prequel designed for people who already know the characters, but I find this to be my feeing with most early Image comics. They are Action centric without great characters, and I never feel like I really have a grasp of the big picture.

Anybody have thoughts on this series or feel like giving me the basic lay of the land for the Wildstorm Universe. Here’s a question, what is the Wildstorm? They talked about it in this mini-series, but I couldn’t tell if it was in reference to a specific thing or just metaphorical. Also, what comes next? The series ends saying, “Continued in Stormwatch Ground Zero, and I cant figure out what that is.

2 Likes

Don’t pay attention to anything Wildstorm that isn’t by Warren Ellis.

1 Like

That bad, huh?

I did read some of his work on the new Wildstorm. Pretty great. It was part of what made me think I might be missing out, but maybe that’s just Warner Ellis not Wildstorm.

Of course, Ellis wrote Trees which I thought was abysmal.

2 Likes

@BatWatch
Oh, Warren Ellis has written some BAD comics. But all of his WS stuff has been enjoyable. Here’s what I’d check out from Wildstorm:

-Stormwatch V.1 #37-50 and V.2 #1-11
-The Authority V.1 #1-12
-Planetary V.1 #1-37
-The Wild Storm #1-24 (not all issues are here on DCU)
-The Wild Storm: Michael Cray #1-12 (yet again, it isn’t all on DCU)

Michael Cray is the only WS book I’d recommend that isn’t by Ellis. The rest are pretty bad.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I’ll have to check it out. I read a Stormwatch versus Aliens trade and thought it was pretty neat, but that’s about the only thing I’ve read WS. Oh, and I read the original Chuck Dixon written Team 7, and it’s one of the few things by Dixon I didn’t enjoy. I don’t even know what it was about.

2 Likes

Yeah a lot of early Wildstorm is not good. I agree that the new stuff by Warren Ellis is better, but doesn’t have the nostalgia of the past.

I would love for Jim Lee to come back to Wildstorm with all he has learned.

I have enjoyed Jet, Point Blank, and Sleeper is worth reading.

All the Team One books came after the titles the books were established so try and figure that out or not.

2 Likes

@Wildstorm-Jeff
Oh yeah! Sleeper! Also some of Gen13 is good. Particularly the Adam Warren stuff.

1 Like