Taking The Community Temperature On: A Wildstorm Book Club

Jim Lee’s Wildstorm imprint offers a wide, wonderful bouquet of titles that runs the entire gamut of storytelling genres. Whatever your comic book preference, you can bet Wildstorm has a book for you!

Are you a seasoned Wildstorm fan or are you completely new to the imprint and you’d like to know more about it? Either way, a Book Club devoted to the brand would be your ticket to a wonderfully wild superstorm of quality entertainment.

Who among us would like to open up and say “aw yeah!” to a Wildstorm Book Club?

6 Likes

Sure! I’ve read a bit of it, and enjoyed what I’ve seen, even at its most shallow or goofy. I’d just worry about running out of material fairly quickly.

2 Likes

If Planetary is part of Wildstorm that would be a good first title to discuss.

Authority was good too.

The curtent Wild Storm Rebirth title i didnt really understand.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay There seems to be a generous amount of digital Wildstorm material available from what I’ve seen.

Depending on the schedule of a WBC, we could be talking about the brand for quite some time :slight_smile:

@Turok Planetary is indeed a Wildstorm book. A darn good one too as is The Authority. Great suggestions!

2 Likes

Ive never read a Wildstorm book, dont really know what it is, but Im seeing it pop up more frequently. Id definitely be open to trying it.

I like the idea of book clubs for particular titles like the Legion book club and this Wildstorm one and I like the one book club that goes to very different titles.

2 Likes

@MajorZuma You’ve not read a Wildstorm book? Then a Book Club revolving around it is just the thing you need :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ill watch some youtube vids to intro me to where Wildstorm came from and what it is. The book club would be great. There will probably some other newcomers to Wildstorm like me.

2 Likes

@MajorZuma Anyone with an interest in Wildstorm would be greeted with open arms. Newbies, those who know the brand, whatever. It’s a party for all!

3 Likes

@Vroom

There was a thread on Planetary recently.

Since Planetary can be very meta about other comic books and fantasy lirtature and movies i asked the questuon how much do readers have to know about the references Planetary alludes to?

In other words while i am sure already knowing this material enhances the reading experience how much does not knowing the references make Planetary more obscure? For example if you dont know the Ben Grimm Thing of the Fantastic Four does it lessen the impact of the Jacob Green issue?

3 Likes

@Turok I don’t think not knowing the references in Planetary would lessen anyone’s enjoyment of it.

I’m sure those of us who’ve read the series in full at least once either didn’t get some of the references, didn’t realize there were references being made or we just glossed over certain things entirely in our first go-around with it.

I think each issue of Planetary can be enjoyed at minimum for what they have to offer on the surface. Knowing what’s beneath the surface is a nice bonus, but not essential IMO.

2 Likes

@Vroom

Thank you for your reply and quick response.

4 Likes

@Turok Thank you for an interesting question and your interest in a potential Wildstorm themed Book Club.

3 Likes

I’d be lying if I didn’t want a Wildstorm book club, the trick is where to start. I’m not so sure you can read The Authority without knowing a bit about Stormwatch beforehand. Planetary would be good for a bit. I read original Wildcats recently and it hasn’t held up well over time and some of that 90s art is problematic.

2 Likes

@Wildstorm-Jeff I’d thought of WildC.A.T.S volume one as a starting point since it was the first Wildstorm book.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback so far. If anyone else reading would like to chime in, please drop a dime in the Feedback Bucket.

Your voices have been heard and are appreciated.

2 Likes

HECK F$&@ING YEAH

2 Likes

@Batwing52 I love your enthusiasm! Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bump-a-reeno, what a cuisine-o! inserts Seinfeld music here

I’m bumping this up to see who else is interested. Should this BC coalesce, it would likely begin in January right around when the new WildC.A.T.S mini-series begins (that’s assuming it doesn’t get bumped back again).

2 Likes

#Jackhawksmoore4life

I love that universe! During it’s early years i was not a fan, the writing was tepid. (Back in the 90’s when image illustrators mistakenly thought they could write), but man once the meta-plot surrounding stormwatch started to build, it became a facinating setting.

2 Likes

adds @taddmcdivitt to The List

Thanks tadd, you’re rad :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just did a massive read of the wild storm universe… I’m ready to go again

1 Like