Take The DC Birth Week Challenge!

Inspired to create my own comic reading challenge by @CassTheStreet’s RETURN of the DC COMIC BOOK LIBRARY CHALLENGE, I’ve devised a task for those ready to take on the gauntlet. Just share the day and year you were born, and I’ll give you a list of every comic which was released on that day (or within 7 days) currently available on DC Universe Infinite. Your challenge: read every comic on that list, and report back with your crystalized snapshot of what the DC Universe was like on the day you were born.

For reference, I was born on April 26th, 1989. The last comic release day before my birth was April 25th, so I took on the following comics:

I was born on April 26th, 1989, and new comics came out on April 25th. So these were the comics I read for my Birth Week Challenge:

• Adventures of Superman #455
  • Animal Man #12
  • Aquaman #1
  • Checkmate #18
  • Doom Patrol #23
  • Flash Annual #3
  • Justice League Europe #3
  • L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 #5
  • New Guardians #9
  • The New Titans #55
  • Power of the Atom #13
  • The Sandman #6
  • Starman #11
  • Swamp Thing #87

(As should be no surprise, The Sandman was the standout that week.)

CHALLENGE COMPLETERS:

HubCityQuestion [4/26/89]
MatthewHecht [5/2/96]
Emanresu [9/28/82]
TheCosmicMoth [1/14/85]
SteveTrevor2.0 [10/4/71]
mercurie80 [3/10/63]
strikerdojo.30849 [7/30/75]
15 Likes

May 2nd, 1996

10 Likes

Your Birth Week Challenge is:

Batman: Black & White #2
Batman: Shadow of the Bat #52
Green Lantern #75
Hitman #3
The Power of Shazam! #16
Preacher #15
Starman #20
Steel #28
Superman #113

10 Likes

December 5, 2005

10 Likes

Batman #647
Doom Patrol #18
JLA: Classified #14
Legion of Super-Heroes #12
The Losers #30
Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere #5
Plastic Man #19
Teen Titans Go #25
Wonder Woman #223

9 Likes

33.3% of the way there.

9 Likes

March 10, 1963

10 Likes

The Flash #136

I do wish we had a more robust collection of Silver Age titles. To give you a better idea of what you’re missing, here are the issues from that week we currently don’t have archived:

Batman #155
Girls’ Romances #92
House of Mystery #134
My Greatest Adventure #79
Mystery in Space #83
Our Army at War #130
World’s Finest Comics #133

11 Likes

January 29th 1992 (is he dead yet?)

9 Likes

Adventures of Superman #488
Animal Man #45
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #28
L.E.G.I.O.N. '92 #37
Starman #44
Swamp Thing #117

11 Likes

Alright! Thanks @HubCityQuestion :clap: :clap: :clap:

9 Likes

77.88% done. I feel safe saying Starman is going to win the title of best comic.

9 Likes

December 31 1990.

8 Likes

Finished all 9.

A collection, and most are pretty simple. The best one is the final one where Joker and I are actors in a comic. It refreshing to see us in a wholesome relationship and have Joker be a good guy.

Simple to follow wacky plot. Perfectly okay. Villainous 4th degree burn victim puts some sort of fear toxin in milk supply.

Badly done. Overly wordy and spent most of its time talking about how important it was. Plot was something to do with Rann.

Some skeletons are saying some complex stuff in red text that is barely readable. Clearly they want to spread confusion.

Middle of a storyline that is a to be continued. Captain Marvel is captured on the moon by Dr. Sivana and I think Mr. Mind. The real good stuff is Mary finds out her parents knew Billy is her brother, and she and The Wizard save some people. This was very good, and most of the good stuff was The Wizard struggling to understand modern life.

Garth Ennis wanted to write lots and lots of curse words. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Worst one here easily.

Ted Knight needs to see Wesley Dodds, but he cannot bear to see his old friend before his likely coming death (remember this was two years after his death in Kingdom Come). Jack sees him instead.

The best of all these by far and the most mature (take careful notes Ennis). Surprisingly few words for a comic written by James Robinson, and this shows why he is one of my favorite comic writers (I go back and forth on who 3 is, but it might be him). One of the great details is Jack is thinking very smart things, but being star struck his actual dialogue is very basic and is sometimes just sounds.

Maybe this makes sense for someone who has been reading his series, but just jumping in on issue 28 is confusing. Also did they just kill Parasite? It is very character focused.

Superman is back and trying to fix past relationships. The first few pages are wonderful with his mullet and him plowing the fields. It is then all downhill with all the soap operas.

8 Likes

Thanks!

7 Likes

I believe that’s a Neil Gaiman story!

Yeah, Power of Shazam is a great read. Glad you got a taste of it in this.

This arc won an Eisner for a reason! Starman as a whole is far and away Robinson’s best work.

8 Likes

ezgif-5-1f65bca051

8 Likes

That comic written by Garth Ennis stank.

5 Likes

May 2nd, 2007

A fellow May 2nd chad took on the challenge so I shall as well.

7 Likes

No comics actually came out that week. In many years, DC skips shipping issues around the holidays. So your Birth Week Challenge will go back to the last release date before your birthday, December 18th 1990:

Batman #459
Hawk & Dove #21
Hellblazer #38
Justice League America #47
Mister Miracle #24
The New Titans #73
Superman #52

7 Likes