Take Ava DuVernay off New Gods

I could give not a care about her opinions, as long as she comes correct with the movie. Silly to deny yourself something, or punish DC over nothing that pertains to you.

3 Likes

Free speech is always wonderful- until someone disagrees…lol. My thoughts are, we either have freedom of speech or we don’t. Anyway I just hope the movie is good :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

We are losing that freedom. It is becoming impossible to have a conversation about anything controversial for fear of being reprimanded or fired. How do you solve problems with those that disagree without discussion?

3 Likes

@IsaacBrown Agreed. Wish I had that answer. As a society, we’re losing our ability to conduct ourselves gracefully in debates or other types of meaningful discussions.

My opinion: This begins at home. Parents need to be encouraging patient, considerate, and respectful dialogue when engaging their children so they can in turn, enter into society with that skill set in hand. Additionally, it’s desperately needed that children witness adults actively demonstrating kindness and consideration to others. I don’t know how else to resolve this. We certainly can’t seem to rely on our “leaders” for model behavior…

6 Likes

I do see hope emerging despite all the noise and misinformation. I believe we are witnessing a electorate getting engaged and informed on the facts. An informed electorate is a strong Democracy.

2 Likes

So are yours

I dont care about her comments on Smollett, personally. I do think she is ridiculously overrated as a filmmaker though. I dont think she should have been hired for this project in the first place, but she got the job and these comments arent a reason to dismiss her.
I feel like her film career has more to do with her abilities as a publicist than as a filmmaker. I dont understand why she is so often cited as “visionary director Ava Duvernay”. Is it because of the liberties and embellishments she made in Selma? Wrinkle in Time might not have been aimed at my “demographic” but kids seem to dislike the movie just as much. I read those books when I was a kid and was excited that it was getting the big screen. I really dont have a problem with making Meg Murry biracial, I have a problem with Ava’s reasoning being “I thought it was really powerful imagery to show a white boy following a young women of color”. It meant a lot to her, but literally meant nothing to the 90% of the world that doesn’t care about peoples skin color and just wanted a good story. Is this the “vision” in “visionary”?
There is literally nothing in her career that makes me think “she needs to direct a DC film”. In fact, everything in her filmography makes me think she should not be in charge of a tentpole franchise, unless that franchise is about “the black experience in America”. Dont take that as a slight, shes clearly very focused and passionate about that specific topic for obvious reasons. But again, I think shes a better publicist than filmmaker.
Heres her opprotunity to make me eat my words, fingers crossed for a New Gods film with a relatable story that is narratively cohesive.

4 Likes