Take Ava DuVernay off New Gods

Why does everyone in Hollywood insist on giving their opinions? Her recent comments bashing the Chicago Police in the Jussie Smollett case are unwanted.

1 Like

Sounds like your projecting based on her as a person and not a director. I don’t care who or what DuVernay supports in her personal life. If she makes a competent New Gods film, than that’s all I care about.

10 Likes

Agreed with Truth

4 Likes

This post will be fun. Here’s hoping it turns into an engaging discussion about the Venn diagram of an artist’s ideology and the story they tell, and not what I think it will become. :grimacing:

4 Likes

People should be free to say their opinion. Both the OP and the director. Will she make a good film? That remains to be seen. I for one have chosen not to look to far into directors personal or social lives. That is why I deleted twitter.

5 Likes

@Behemoth.Ravenlord I don’t think anyone is attempting to suppress anyone’s opinion. We love opinions here. We’ve all got one, just like we all have…

3 Likes

I know, just saying though.

2 Likes

I mean, I wouldn’t want her directing New Gods based solely on how horrible her Wrinkle in Time movie was, but that’s just me…,

5 Likes

Wrinkle in Time might have been a narrative letdown, but visually it was a sight to behold. That’s probably what got her the job. Jack Kirby’s New Gods are basically an acid trip. DuVernay took audiences on such a trip with a Wrinkle in Time. All she needs in a competent writer to help her along.

5 Likes

Now that Smollet has been arrested, perhaps her opinion may change. I don’t believe in trying to silence people, but it’s bad business for creative people to climb on soap boxes.

4 Likes

As penance for jumping to the wrong conclusion, she should put extra time into her New Gods prep this month. I don’t want to be part of the pitchfork crowd just cuz the other side can’t stop picking them up

3 Likes

I just read her comments and I’m curious OP, which part are you offended by?

3 Likes

I cried watching Selma. So yes… give her a DC movie. I wanna see it.

1 Like

Definitely excited to see this brought to the big screen.

1 Like

@Southpark

Ava DuVernay
Ava DuVernay
@ava
Despite the inconsistencies, I can’t blindly believe Chicago PD. The department that covered up shooting Laquan McDonald over a dozen times? That operated an off-site torture facility? That one? I’ll wait. Whatever the outcome, this won’t stop me from believing others. It can’t.

The first sentence. She can blindly believe Jussie Smolett, but the police are liars. She was projecting instead of letting the courts do their job. Even at this point today, 02/21/19, Mr. Smolett is presumed innocent until proven guilty. But to call the police liars was ill advised. As a good rule, anyone in the public eye should not give their opinions on religion, politics, or social problems. Whatever side you are on, you risk alienating half of your audience. Her bosses are about selling movie tickets. And frankly, I don’t care to hear an entertainers opinion on something they know little about. I don’t tell her what kind of lens to shoot so and so scene with.

2 Likes

@beaste1356 I completely respect your right to express an opinion on her opinion, but to be fair she did direct 13th, a documentary which involved a significant amount of research and data collection on the very topics surrounding this event. She does kind of know something of which she is speaking.

Also, I have never understood the line of criticism that entertainers aren’t supposed to voice their opinion. While they’re in the public eye, they are also citizens or more generally human beings, who have just as much a right to say something as you and I.

I don’t understand the culture of calling for entertainers to be fired because they said something you don’t agree with. Why is this something that is okay to do in so many people’s minds these days?

I think intelligently disagreeing with her and sharing your point of view would be such a more productive way to improve the conversation. That’s the foundation of a good democracy, someone somewhere said similarly in more eloquent words.

Why attack her livelihood? The ideas should be refuted if you disagree. Not the person. Who knows, she might make your favorite comic book movie ever? Wouldn’t that be interesting if someone you disagreed with so vehemently did something unrelated that you liked? Like I’m sure people do in your daily life all the time. It happens in mine all the time.

3 Likes

I think her point is that the police have shown to be untrustworthy. I think her last sentence was in reference to the bad things cops have done in her area, which others refuse to believe or acknowledge. Regardless I don’t think she should be taken on the movie bc you disagree with what she believes. I’m sorry but i just can’t get behind the idea that something so small is alienating dc fans. You say people in the spotlight shouldn’t speak on matters that are important to them, but I’m sure some see their fame as a platform to do good.

2 Likes

So you are saying calling cops liars is “good”. So are you calling all gay black men liars based on an instance? I’d say that is a little short sighted. Regardless, I won’t be supporting her movie.

For self-preservation she should keep her mouth shut. With social media people organize and boycott. DC movies don’t need or want the bad publicity.

1 Like

@beaste, that’s your prerogative, and your loss imo.

3 Likes