Ta-Nehisi Coates Writing A New Superman Film For DC and Warner Bros

Or they could have done a Steel reboot. Steel is such a cool charactor design wise.

4 Likes

Yeah! Ole John Henry Steel was my favorite Superman after Clark died in the ‘90s.

3 Likes

Why can’t DC just delvop their other minority charactors and not race-swap charactors.

5 Likes

I don’t mind with certain characters. I think with Patterson’s new Batman movie with Jeffery Wright as Gordon is a good choice.
They can bring in other black Kryptonians or John Henry as Steel and so on. I still think of Christopher Reeve as Superman. Henry Cavill is also a good fit for Clark/Superman.

2 Likes

I think The studio should keep Henry Cavill.

3 Likes

They can do both. The reason you don’t develop Static or Green Lantern John Stewart is that there’s no name recognition among the masses. Everyone knows Superman. Everyone knows Batman. Everyone knows Wonder Woman. Those names are iconic around the world and will bring people to the theater based on the name alone.

3 Likes

Probably depends on the Snyder Cut reception. If it’s off the chart praise, they probably let him do another film (and Cavill stars as Superman in that).

4 Likes

I think you’re right.

1 Like

Hey @bjkicks - can’t wait to see your YouTube video breaking all this news down!

2 Likes

@IssacBrown

According to sources from The Hollywood Reporter this Superman will Black.

There’s no official statement from DC or Warner Bros. at this point, I don’t believe. Just a report from one of the Hollywood trades.

@Clonegeek18

As far as “race-swapping” is concerned… it’s just an imaginary story. Like all of them are. (Ha!)

If this Superman is black, it’s highly doubtful he’ll be Clark Kent.

And I personally SERIOUSLY doubt he’ll be Clark Kent.

I’m guessing they’ll go with Calvin Ellis from Earth-23, or keep it simple and create someone new. I don’t think they’re going to make him Clark Kent. And I know I wouldn’t want to see that…

5 Likes

Why…?

I agree they likely won’t, but it wouldn’t bother me if they did.

2 Likes

@TheTerrificToyman

I just don’t think it’s necessary for him to be Clark Kent is all… and I guess it wouldn’t bother me either, I would just rather they didn’t go that route.

For example, the new Wonder Girl is Yara Flor. There was no need to make a new Donna Troy.

Same thing would apply here, I feel.

It would just be a Superman from a different Earth. Keep it simple.

4 Likes

I know a lot of people automatically go to insensitive and name calling if you don’t agree with this decision but here I go. If this is Val-Zod I have no problem with it bring it on! I don’t want this to be Clark Kent and that’s only because this movies pull from 80 years of comic history and I think should stay true to that history. Not a huge fan of gender and race bending heroes that have been around forever for no purpose.

If they want a strong black lead for a powerhouse superhero they have a deep bench to pull from. I mean Icon is making is way back into print why not make a movie focused about him.

I love the character Natasha Irons why don’t they make a film around her and put a spotlight on these great black superheroes

This doesn’t come from a place of hate at all I want to make that clear, but I think they should focus on black characters with history. As I stated in the Beginning though if this is Val-Zod I’m game.

6 Likes

Always up for a new Superman movie if it is Coates, take on Clark/Superman, I am sure that will be fascinating as he is an excellent writer. If it turns out to be Calvin Ellis or some other or brand new iteration, that’s also awesome, and one I will look forward to watching. I don’t get the whole race-swapping arguments with characters, unless race is a defining point of the character or story, then if you are trying to be true to that story sure, but if not it shouldn’t be an issue. So the more the merrier I say, as long as it’s a great actor for the role and story, I’m in.

3 Likes

I’m excited for Ta-Nehisi Coates’ take on Superman, and I’d be 100% on board for a black Clark Kent. And if they go that route, I’d love for a post credit scene where the Jace Fox Batman shows up.

4 Likes

@RexRebel

Yeah, that’s the beauty of the Multiverse. You can have however many versions of whomever you want.

And it all started with Barry Allen and Jay Garrick.

And they’re already going to do it in Andy Muschietti’s “Flash” movie with the Batmans (the Batmen), and the new Supergirl.

So more of the same it looks like…

Long live the Multiverse.

5 Likes

DC over uses the Multiverse

1 Like

Am I the news guy now? Lol let me read up on it. I can have a video up tomorrow.

1 Like

True That

1 Like

You are to me, apparently! :slight_smile: I like your videos and living vicariously through your shopping excursions and mystery boxes. When this news broke one of my first thoughts was, I wonder what BJ Kicks is going to say about this on YouTube.

1 Like