Ta-Nehisi Coates Writing A New Superman Film For DC and Warner Bros

From Variety

5A3D2C5D-5AA0-42F9-B119-FCB71168277A_4_5005_c

Ta-Nehisi Coates will write a new Superman film for DC Films and Warner Bros.

The project is in very early development, but the new film is being produced by J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot. Hannah Minghella will also produce. There is no director attached to the project at this time and the search for an actor to play Kal-El / Superman has not yet begun.

“To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor,” Coates said in a statement. “I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America’s most iconic mythic hero.”

“There is a new, powerful and moving Superman story yet to be told. We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we’re beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity,” Abrams stated.

Coates is the acclaimed author of bestsellers including “Between the World and Me,” “The Beautiful Struggle,” “We Were Eight Years in Power,” and “The Water Dancer.”

“Ta-Nehisi Coates’s ‘Between the World and Me’ opened a window and changed the way many of us see the world,” said Toby Emmerich, chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group. “We’re confident that his take on Superman will give fans a new and exciting way to see the Man of Steel.”

The new Superman project is not the author’s first foray into the superhero realm. Coates also wrote the Marvel comic book series for “Captain America” and “Black Panther,” with his run writing the latter saga ending in April.

News of Coates’ attachment to the superhero project comes amid a number of recent Hollywood projects and adaptations of the author’s work. “Between the World and Me” was adapted into an HBO film which debuted last November, while “The Water Dancer” is getting a big-screen adaptation from a producing team that includes Oprah Winfrey and Brad Pitt.

Shadow and Act was first to report the news.

Sure, without a doubt some quarters will not be thrilled with this news, but I am.

Great Scott! (Ha!)

Somewhat unrelated, Between the World and Me is good.

But Superman. Wow.

My word.

No words.

Speechless.

:superman:

17 Likes

I want to be excited, but we’ve been down this road a few times already only to hit a dead end.

It would be fantastic if it pans out this time though…

9 Likes

And from The Hollywood Reporter

According to sources, the project is being set up as a Black Superman story. This is something that the studio has been trying to wrap its head around for months, if not a year or two. Michael B. Jordan tried to develop a Black Superman project when he first arrived at the studio with his deal in 2019, but that did not go very far at the time, according to sources. It is possible that the studio could return to him to star down the line.

And…

I don’t care if it’s a Black Superman or not, I just want a new Superman movie.

Of course, if it is going to be a Black Superman, then I’m over the Moon with excitement. But I just want a new Superman movie.

This is going to blow up and be a huge controversy if it is a Black Superman, though. This we know. [insert sad face]

This is America.

Hopefully it won’t be too bad. [insert hopeful face]

4 Likes

This is a mic drop moment. Coates is one of the most important writers in American literature today. His masterpiece Between the World and Me should be taught in schools. He is the exact type of writer that should be hired for Superman.

Personally, I wasn’t a fan of the early portion of his Black Panther run and I haven’t checked out his Cap work. But I’m overly excited to see Coates take on Supes. I am hopeful.

4 Likes

Ok, let’s get the show on the road!

3 Likes

Let em cry.

7 Likes

I am all for new content, but makes me sad Henry is no longer Superman… Hopefully he will continue his journey on HBOMax. Three Superman’s are better than one!

6 Likes

With them embracing the multiverse thing, would be cool if we got Val-Zod Superman, in addition to Cavill’s Kal-El.

9 Likes

Yeah i was surprised by how little i cared about Coates’ Black Panther work, however I agree this is has the makings of THE superman movie to define the character in a way that Only Morrison has this generation

3 Likes

Like others mentioned I can already smell the same people online who were upset with a Latina playing Supergirl now upset with the idea of a Black Superman (even though Val-Zod exists). :pensive:

The multiverse format and all that opens itself for more opportunities of character exploration (Joker, The Batman and now Superman). I’d like to see more of Henry Cavill in the future but if it’s not panning out at least we’re still getting some form ‘Super-’ on the silver screen. Just like Tyler Hoechlin’s Superman can exist at the same time as another this new Superman can exist as well.
:peace_symbol: :+1:

5 Likes

Of course, I gotta do a fan cast.

If DC and Warner Bros. are going to go with a Black Superman. And just going from the comics (THE MULTIVERSITY) because we have no idea what the story would be…

…and so Earth-23 and Calvin Ellis, then…

Idris Elba to play Calvin Ellis.

Of course, Idris Elba is who I would pick to play Icon too, but that’s neither here nor there. And if he has the opportunity to play Superman, then okay then… [insert smiley face]

If they want to tell a story with a younger Superman, then I don’t really have anyone in mind right now…

4 Likes

I’ve always thought about Idris Elba playing a version of Batman but a Superman would be cool too.

2 Likes

I hope they don’t screw this up.

3 Likes

The words JJ. Abrams and reboot should never be used in the same sentence.

5 Likes

Or just do an Icon movie

2 Likes

Same.

I’d go with Trevante Rhodes

4 Likes

Black Hawkman
Black Superman
Black Batman

I’m here for it. Tell a good story and I’ll read/watch/listen to it. I am very excited about this news and know it’ll bring in more fans than it will drive away. There’s no reason any character has to be a certain race as it’s all a world, or worlds, built on imagination. This is great news and I’m looking forward to seeing it.

3 Likes

Has it been announced that Superman is going to be black? I haven’t seen that.

2 Likes

Its what everyone’s thinking.

2 Likes

@LooseNate

On Black Panther:

Being a DC guy the only Marvel movie that I’ve seen was Black Panther, and I only saw it to support the cause for diversity.

I’m glad it made over a billion dollars, and I’ve been waiting to see what affect that it may have had. This may be it.

Although, I had assumed that DC and Warner Bros. would counter with John Stewart. But to counter with a Black Superman?

Okay, Warner Bros. and DC. I guess you’re kind of serious.

@NanoDeVice

Yeah, Henry Cavill is my favorite Superman, and I grew up with Christopher Reeve as Superman; which is my second favorite Superman, and that’s the list. (Ha!)

Of course, I’m also one of those people who love both Man of Steel and Superman: The Movie.

The kid in me will forever love Superman: The Movie, and the adult in me will forever love Man of Steel.

@TheTerrificToyman

Oh yes, Trevante Rhodes would be excellent.

He of course was my pick to play Jace Fox in a hypothetical HBO Max “Second Son” series.

But Superman would be great too.

This is kind of an exciting day. (Ha!)

3 Likes