Swamp Thing on the CW?

Either way, I’ll always take more Swampy, but a piece of me wishes they had gone slightly lighter on the horror & a little heavier on the gothic/romance aspects. Is that kind of what you mean as well, @Behemoth? That could def shine thru more of its more PG.

5 Likes

If this is all a simple re-airing of the original show, then I see no downside here. I just hope that they don’t water the show down to bump it below a TV-MA rating. I understand where you’re coming from @Razzzcat about maybe highlighting the more gothic elements, but I think the creators of the show were really specific about the tone that they were going for with the show, and to some degree I’d like to at least respect that. I could see there being a really good Swamp Thing show that is less horror, but I think that it’s an intrinsic part to the identity and tone of this show as it stands. I’m not even a horror fan at all, I just think that there should be some respect for the original intentions of the show.

I also want to say that this rant is all based on many assumptions that are not necessarily true. I could be totally misinterpreting the situation, so keep that in mind.

3 Likes

@YoYoFroYo :100: agree they should respect the original vision, but Im wondering what’ll get edited for CW and how that will impact the overall feel. Like…will it feel more gothic vs horror?
I think both of those elements bring in an audience, tho, so I’m happy it’s getting dispensed in general.

2 Likes

Right, that’s kind of what I’m worried about. I wonder if a re-editing might tarnish the original product. I also like the attitude that it could end up making a better product though. Maybe I’ll just have to have a more open mind about it. We’ll see what happens and I can make my opinion of it then.

1 Like

I think some are confused, they are not doing a second season, they are just re-airing season 1 on CW. As the article mentioned they picked up several shows, Swamp Thing, a CBS All Access show, a candian show and a Uk show. I think this is going to happen on a lot, shows from outside the US or previosuly airing on streaming will be repeated in the Summer and Fall on network TV (and possibly cable.). The truth is that they still are not filming and while some places are slowly re-opening it is far from a given that they will be able to resume filming anything in time for it to air in the fall. And they got to have something, Swamp Thign is better then re-running The Flash. I don’t think there is a bigger picture in it’s airing there.

I am surprised that it is Swamp Thing and not Titans though. Titans was produced by Berlanti and slightly less racy and gory. So would need less editing and be more in line with the Arrowverse shows CW fans are used to. But there might be other issues, or DC Universe might not want to do that with a show still airing. I mean Swamp Thing is over a year old and not getting a second season. Sure people still watch it, but doubt it would be a huge hit to have it air once on CW as opposed to any of the other ongoing shows.

But yeah, don’t think this has some bigger tie in with JL Dark, or sign of a season 2, or DCU’s future or some like others on the internet have been saying. Think a lot of shows previously streaming only will be airing on network TV. I mean licensing something like that is better then re-runs.

7 Likes

The weird story of htis show continues… I’m not too surprised, and not too worried, CW does a good job with it’s shows…Flash and Arrow have large followings…My only hope is that it retains it’s same vibe… But having a much more character based show will be really great… AND because we have CW’s Legends of Tomorrow… Constantine / Swamp Thing! Calling it!

2 Likes

Swamp Thing was cancelled because the series blew its entire budget on production costs in its first two months of filming, so a new audience finding the series through syndication isn’t going to matter, especially more than a year after-the-fact.

3 Likes

But-- they’ve already shown a willingness to use the same actors at a different production house that knows how to make glossy TV on budget. An new show is possible-- if not exactly likely at this time.

1 Like

Swamp Thing’s budget was reportedly nearly 90 million dollars for 13 episodes, and yet the production blew that entire wad of cash within 10 episodes.

The CW could not afford to revive the series even if it wanted to.

5 Likes

@DanTheManOne1 hit the nail on the head. All they’re doing is showing the first season to fill some airtime because with the virus, there’s not a lot they can show in the next few months once sweeps are over. There is no second season.

2 Likes

I Wish CW would at least film the final 3 episodes that were cut once the show was canceled. We only saw 10 of the 13 episodes.

2 Likes

And the last 50 or so episodes of the original, USA series cost about 750,000 dollars for three episodes. What does the overblown budget of the existing 10 episodes of the newer series have to do with a remounted effort by a different production company?

Cutting Swamp Thing down to 41 minutes on the CW will at least be interesting. It probably won’t work-- but wouldn’t it be cool if it did?

1 Like

I’m hopeful they air season one this year and then incorporate him into the Arrowverse for season two in 2021. I read it as CW acquired the rights to the show and that tells me they have the option to continue it with new episodes if they choose to.

1 Like

I understand that but I feel a little torn because when this was being advertised it kept implying you won’t get this content anywhere else and I am like should I have just waited a year later just has me feeling a certain way I don’t know why​:anguished:.

But this is a good thing. This gives people a taste of what DC Universe has to offer.

And it’s not like this is unprecedented. Hell, I can name a few HBO shows that eventually ended up on syndication…albeit severely edited. The Sopranos, Tales From the Crypt and Sex and the City instantly spring to mind.

Plus, it was licensed to the CW, which means that money will hopefully go to funding more DC Universe content.

5 Likes

Fingers crossed! More eyes on it could lead to good things…More things!

5 Likes

I also imagine that since it was the first show they debuted with that DCU feels that Titans is their flagship series and won’t push it out like that. It would be like HBO letting Showtime air episodes of Game of Thrones.

Anyway, crazy news. I’m tempted to watch an episode or two on there just to see how they edit things.

3 Likes

It’s nice that Swampy will be on TV again, but even if it gains an audience I can’t imagine it’ll do anything for either a potential show revival or DC Universe’s prospects, considering HBO Max is currently making a Justice League Dark show. DC probably doesn’t want 2 Swamp Things hanging around.

Also, worth noting that DC Universe is now down to 2 exclusive shows - Young Justice and Titans. Something to think about.

1 Like

Considering Titans is on Netflix in other parts of the world (I’m not sure about Young Justice) but I’m not seeing the problem.

3 Likes

My hope is that this means that Swamp Thing could live on into HBO’s JLD. And then that post credit Floronic Man appearance would carry over. I think there’s a significance to the fact that they made it a point to show the Swamp Thing universe existed Post-Crisis. As a cancelled show, it was wildly considered a failure because of the rumors that swirled around. So it was like they reminded us about it, why if they didn’t have future plans?

Also, it’s gonna be like a 30 minute show with commercials after editing. Lol. They can’t show guys getting ripped apart by vines and reanimated corpses on the cw.

1 Like