Swamp Thing is the least interesting thing about Swamp Thing the show.

Loving the show so far but I really do think ST is the least interesting part of the show. Everything else is fantastic.

1 Like

Yea, I think they’re doing a lot of set up for Swamp Thing right now. He’ll kick off in the next few episodes. But you’re right, they’re really milking the premise of ‘small town and everyone has a secret’ right now, and as far as I’m concerned, it’s working great.

1 Like

I think a lot of the problem this show has (doesn’t seem to be a true problem to most based on feedback though) is that even with their high budget they simply can’t afford to have Swamp Thing show up prominently in each episode, it would just be too expensive. Heck, based on some reports (which I know are largely speculation and rumors) the show’s budget is the biggest problem it had behind the scenes.

As such the only way to make it work is to have Abby be the actual star of the show. In some ways it works to it’s advantage because Swamp Thing is more impressive in a lot of ways when his appearances are toned back. Sort of a less is more effect.

But I think it has been detrimental in that Swamp Thing basically has to be a supporting character in his own show. Heck, in the latest episode Daniel Cassidy got more screen time then Swamp Thing I think, and he isn’t even a main character. I also think that it has caused the show to sometimes come off as a soap opera with occasional glimpses of Swamp Thing thrown in. The last episode balanced it out better, so maybe they have finally figured out a good way to balance it out. But I think it has shown to be one of the biggest challenges of the show. And not one I know for sure what they can do about it, since for budget I don’t think showing Swamp Thing more is really a valid option.

1 Like

To me, it looks like a first season show. They are introducing the characters, and setting up story lines and such. A lot of people say look at it as a 10 hour movie, but probably wasn’t written like that. If they had announced a second season instead of cancelling, maybe people would watch it with a different mindset?

Derek Mears in an interview recently said they did a great job tying it all up at the end, so all we can do is wait.

1 Like

@AvataroftheGreen Maybe, but most people seem to be loving it. Although I wish there would be less, “this show is AWESOME… shame it is ending soon.” It is a natural reaction, just wish more would enjoy what we have then constantly focus on something out of our control. Shows sadly get cancelled, and not always shows we are going to think suck. It is just how it is.

1 Like

DanTheManOne1, I agree with you. I was one of the people you speak of, but at this point I’m not letting that keep me from enjoying what we did get.

After thinking about it for a bit, I’m sure DC have good reasons to cancel the show, and if they could continue it, they would. They still could down the road.

The slow burn of the series, in my opinion, is due to the fact that they wrote the season thinking there may be a few seasons to tell the story they wanted to. After filming ep.#10 and told to wrap, they had to make what they had, work. which means they couldn’t go back to the first few episodes and speed up the story so it’s not as slow… which is why I wouldn’t use that as a critique of the show. Again in my opinion, it isn’t their fault.