Support for Whitney Moore

I don’t think his work should be removed, but I don’t think DC should continue to do business with him.

9 Likes

Not familiar with this Landis guy at all.

1 Like

huggles

2 Likes

What was the concern over the author of Emerald Dawn?

I don’t want to distract from Whitney, but you can google Gerard Jones.

3 Likes

I think a comic written/drawn/inked by someone with serious accusations such as Landis, or even someone who has a conviction, shouldn’t be removed, but a splash page notification given at the beginning.

There are certainly comics from the golden age, especially WW II era that have some depictions (and stories) that are WAY not acceptable by today’s standards. However, they did happen.

Taking down controversial content generally brings more interest to it, by making it “taboo”.

5 Likes

I mostly agree with DSa here. DC shouldn’t associate with these people going forward, but they also shouldn’t sanitize history.

11 Likes

IIRC, one of the documentaries that was on DCU here features Gerard Jones. Not sure if that was taken down too.

As far as taking stuff down, it poses a moral dilemma I wish I had a better answer for. I don’t want to look at work done by scum, however I don’t want to take particular work down that was, for example, written by the late, great Steve Gerber (which a quick search shows is still available on DCU) even though the artist turned out to be scum.

The Naked Gun with O.J. Simpson as well as The Cosby Show are still available to view too. Those, like comics, are collaborative works and I feel bad for the innocent collaborators, but I’m not looking at those works anytime soon either.

3 Likes

@drbtg1.95630 Was the documentary in question the Aquaman one? If so that would explain why it went down so fast. Although I am getting off track.

I do want to add my support to Whitney, saw when that tweet first went like, sounds like a horrible situation to be in.

Stay strong Whitney. Don’t give up.

2 Likes

We don’t know the nature of abuse that Whitney suffered, whether it was physical, emotional, or a combination, but it doesn’t matter. Abuse, regardless of the form it takes, is always tragic. The important thing is she recognizes that she was abused, which is harder to do than you might think. I hope that she’ll be able to work through what happened and heal

We’re with you, Whitney!

2 Likes

My heart goes out to Whitney! She has my support fully. I am so sorry that she had to deal with something like this. She is a strong individual. I have even more respect for her than I did before. Thank you for speaking up Whitney.

2 Likes

It’s a really brave thing she’s doing, it’s can’t be easy to come out like that. We’re definitely with you, Whitney!

3 Likes

Much support for Whitney.

2 Likes

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/max-landis-accused-sexual-abuse-eight-women-1202150703/

2 Likes

That’s stunning and horrible. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, @Mae

2 Likes

That dude is absolutely disgusting.

1 Like

Is there evidence that the guy did something?

3 Likes

There’s certainly not enough to convict him of anything, but there’s definitely enough smoke around him that it doesn’t look good for the guy.

I hope she’s doing okay during this stressful, awful time.

3 Likes

This is the Daily Beast’s article that is referenced to in the above link: https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-landis-8-women-accuse-hollywood-filmmaker-of-emotional-and-sexual-abuse-were-not-people-to-him

And to the people asking for “evidence” - I would point to the documentation of these incidents on social media from multiple different sources over the years.

3 Likes