Support for our female heroes

I know this is for the competition but I feel it has a great impact on the comics community as a whole.
I have seen numerous people voice their dissent with Brie Larson’s comments about having the journalism field of interviewers be more inclusive. She even clarified, without needing to, that she just wants more seats at the table than the majority of past interviewers. She even went so far to do research before making further comments.
For these comments, numerous people have shown their disrespect because of some imagined slight( which she never said) by posting negative reviews and comments before her movie even comes out. They plan to do the same thing when it does come out.
I for one worry because what does this say for our society when we feel threatened because someone wants more people to be included. Diversity can be great and does not have to exclude anyone who was there before. We are getting another great movie that is headlined by a female superhero and all we want to do is tear it down? Do we really want to make the next filmmaker think twice for including diverse characters so we see the same ones over and over?
I was so glad to see Zachary Levi stand up for this even if this movie will be competition for his own film. That shows real character.
#ISupportBrie

3 Likes

I’ll admit, I was not fond of her words at first. Once she clarified it all made more sense to me. I will be seeing the movie opening night. Hope Captain Marvel delivers!

1 Like

I don’t think the backlash really is a reaction to anything Brie Larson has done (besides presuming to be a woman). They tried to tank Ghostbusters and Black Panther the same way. It’s a much bigger, uglier social movement that’s breaking across the entire Western world in reaction to social progress in general.

2 Likes

I am not likely to get to the theaters, but I do intend to see Captain Marvel when it becomes available on cable.

I think one of the problems with promoting woman power these days is it seems more like a campaign to push men aside, and this, tends to put men on the defensive.

If the message was instead, “Women are just as important as men, and here is how we can prove it,” the message would be far less threatening to most men.

No, you are never going to get every single male (especially those with a neanderthal points of view) to change their minds, but you will probably be able to open more men’s eyes to the reality that women really are just as important as men. There are difference between the genders, but that does not mean that women are less able to contribute to society in an equally valuable way.

I am against suppressing women and limiting their potentials. Feed all young minds, and old ones too, with the knowledge to be their best, no matter what gender they are.

MACJR

5 Likes

I agree that people are being a bit ridiculous about her words, blowing them out of proportion and projecting an exaggerated and contrived meaning to them. They’re certainly pushing a narrative across the YouTube echo-chamber (femme-nazi bad!)
That being said, she said some fairly stupid things and said them in a very disparaging, almost degrading tone. I don’t think she “hates white men” but she does seem to be singling them out as a problem in broad generalizations. She is “othering” and contributing to the divide. It’s a bad look.
I’m seeing this movie not to “support female heroes” but because it has Skrulls, 90s nostalgia, and it’s the episode before the series finale. I didnt see Wonder Woman to support female heroes, I saw it because it looked good (and to support DC). Aliens, Terminator, Hunger Games, Atomic Blonde, Resident Evil, Underworld, Tomb Raider, the list literally goes on and on for female lead action movies that people of all demographics love and went to see in theaters without a heavy handed and off putting “feminist agenda” being pushed in the media.
She should look to how Gal Gadot handled Wonder Woman questions.

5 Likes

Personally, I don’t care for all the pointless, petty drama. Still going to watch Captain Marvel.

Both of them.

3 Likes

@Zombedy I did not realize there may have been more comments. I still agree with her intent about more inclusivity so more people can have opportunities.
I do agree with you that the quality of the movie matters more than gender. I want to see the movie too because it is the last one before endgame. I also saw Wonder Woman and really liked it but more about the story and characters than politics.
I just do not like people trying to bring something down without seeing it first because of what may have been said beforehand especially if the comments were not insulting.

2 Likes

Oh, I agree totally. For the record, I think it looks like a good movie. Antman at worst, Wonder Woman at best. At first it was “she looks bored, this movie is boring” and I felt that was kind of a petty, contrived thing for people to find “problematic”. I was like “slow down, maybe theres a story based reason, it’s just a trailer”. There was clearly people looking for a problem to really behind. There is an agenda against this film, they consider themselves a counter attack against a corporate and government agenda. It’s all pretty bizarre. Sometimes it feels like both sides forget the great and diverse movies and leads we’ve had in the past.

2 Likes

There is a difference between expressing opinions and making suggestions to that of drama, WildDog.

Drama is when there is conflict, especially when two sides just cannot agree on anything, or too few things, and proceed to argue about it.

Oddly enough, saying, “Personally, I don’t care for all the pointless, petty drama,” is injecting drama into the thread. :wink:

Of course, you may be talking about the debate about what the actress said, and not about what was said in this thread, but that is not clear, so someone could take your post wrong, and then start a messy drama event. They are words that could easily be misunderstood and spark heated arguments. It does not need to be that way though, but the potential for that is great, thus, drama, or the strong possibility of drama, has been added to the thread.

Just saying. If you were talking about what the actress said that sparked a heated debate though, then yes, that is drama that I want to avoid as well.

MACJR

I personally did not take any offense to the drama comment. I think I understood the intent behind the statement but correct me if I am wrong.

Well, I meant that all of those people getting mad at other people because of what such and such actor or actress said or what gender they are is so pointless, I just don’t get why they cause so much drama around such a topic. Especially if they make it a political hit piece and start calling out people based on their political views (seriously, all this throwing around accusations of people being SJWs and alt-right Nazis gives me a headache), especially considering I don’t swing towards either of the political extremes myself. And because of people getting mad at what such and such said about such and such topic, I try and avoid some of the more questionable events of that nature since I don’t normally wish to express my views when others are doing it for me and better. I guess a personal quirk of mine is sometimes i come across vague when I’m trying to get to the point without needing to resort to big works and longer ramblings. Regardless, I’m all for equality and believe journalism should be fair and welcoming to all professionals willing and able to work that field. And if people are getting mad at Brie Larson for saying it in a vague manner that could be taken as something else, well, not my battle. I’m still going to watch Captain Marvel regardless of the shit going on in some Twitter page. Marvel has a good track record going on and I’m curious to see how they’ll go about with the story leading up to Endgame. Plus, it’s a 90’s period piece and, well, not enough 90’s period pieces in my honest opinion.

I hope I defended my point of view the right way. If not, let me know.

4 Likes

@WildDog well said

1 Like

I think we give to much credit to angry Twitter etc for actually impacting the real world. Ghostbusters did okay at the box office but cost too much to make and was only okay. The last StarWars had a weak middle act and still made a billion despite a tiny group trying to sink its online reviews. Larson said something some object to, cleaned it up and will make a mint with Cap Marvel at the Box office.

2 Likes

The Last Jedi is widely considered a below average Star Wars film. So it’s not a tiny online group trying to put it down.

@WildDog now we agree, and no drama involved.

As a writer (not published (except on my own web sites at one time or another), I always have to try to be as clear as I can, this I know how easy it is to leave a key word or sentence out of something I say that could be easily misunderstood because of that missing word or sentence.

In this case, all it would have taken is the twitter drama storm, and that clears everything up. Thus, you are then just expressing your view, not adding drama, or the potential for drama in the thread.

Your second post was much more clear, well thought out, and expresses a viewpoint that I agree with.

Thanks for clearing things up. :slight_smile:

MACJR

2 Likes

As for all the melodrama in media this day, yeah, they do blow things WAY out of proportions at times. It is that too many people are taking positions on the extreme ends of each view, and pushing the center points of view out of view. You are either with them, or against them, and there is no room for a middle anymore.

That is getting to be a bigger and bigger problem in American society today.

The center point, in my view, is what I stated in my first post on this thread. Short version, equality, not domination, or the refusal of any changes at all, is the best solution.

MACJR

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of Marvel, so I’ll be skipping this film. I’ll definitely be watching all the DC films.

3 Likes

@ReallyReallyDarkGray I like both films equally. I was just in more general terms talking about more inclusion being welcome and should not be insulted.