Superpower Origins

I was just reading Supergirl & it occurred to me how genius it was that Kryptonians get Superpowers from Earths Sun. Or any yellow sun, but in any case I think that’s one of, if not, the best ideas for receiving Superpowers. What’s your favorite one or ones?

3 Likes

For some reason I always like powers are bestowed upon or born with like (mutants). I feel like when they’re bestowed at any point they those powers can be revoked.

2 Likes

Bane

Good point. That’s the basis of what drove me to create the thread. I was thinking…man I never really stopped to consider it, but the yellow sun resulting resulting in superpowers that would’ve never happened if Supergirl, Superman & so on didn’t get sent here as a last ditch effort to carry on the El name is tough to top. Especially considering he (Superman) then later she (supergirl) were created at a time when there wasn’t any such thing as a person with superpowers.

1 Like

I like all of the super power origins.

I’ll give a special mention to the green lantern power ring. My understanding is it’s directly related to the will power of the wearer, which means the power kinda comes from within the person wearing the ring. (I’m a novice on Green Lantern, please forgive any misstatements I may have made.)

2 Likes

JLWWSM

You made 0 mistakes. It’s all about the ring choosing the recipient & it’s controlled by willpower. Different colors different rules but for green u got the main thing correct my friend.

2 Likes

I love “scientific” accidents (cheesy as they can sometimes be) like the Flash or Dr. Manhattan.

3 Likes

You got my attention with Dr. Manhattan. Watchmen opening day, still my number 1 DC movie ever.

1 Like

Dr. Manhattan in the intrinsic field chamber was one of my favorite scenes.

1 Like

Agree with you guys when it comes to Dr. Manhattan (and definitely with the #1 fav comment, @djd187.81432!). :slight_smile:

1 Like

MissInkBlot

Awesome, that movie is so long & I swear it’s so good it feels like it’s an hr & 45mins. When I went opening day I didn’t look at length. I never do, nor do I watch any trailers if I know I’m gonna see it. Anyways, me & my friend walked out & I looked at what time it was & I felt like I went thru a boom tube.

1 Like

Really? That’s an interesting attribute, regarding watching trailers - I don’t check for length, myself, but always end up always watching the trailers and checking the cast to determine if I want to see it :stuck_out_tongue:

That aside, regarding your experience, we had a very similar one, I think. The immersion, plot, and characters hit me in a way that I’ve never had a piece of media touching on the concept of superheroes has before or since, so I completely understand, @djd187.81432. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m with u 100% I was sucked in from the second I heard Rorschach’s journal & the comedian fight scene was so incredible. I knew right then, like 10mins maybe less it was gonna be a great movie. Yeah, me & my movie buddy (who happens to be my biggest DC fan friend also) never watch a trailer if we know we’re gonna see it. We like seeing everything for the 1st x & definitely don’t look at reviews. Because if it’s bad reviews it influences u to see it that way, & if it’s rave reviews it’s never as good as u picture it in your head. At least for me & he’s same way. Those are just my personal rules for movie viewing.

2 Likes

I have never met anyone else that doesn’t watch the trailers, @djd187.81432! My family and friends think I’m crazy for going into a movie or TV show blind, but, to me, it just adds an extra level of excitement. The closest I will get to listening to a review is if it is a movie that I’m not sure of the characters and plot, then I will allow a family member or friend to let me know the type of movie (i.e. action, comedy, horror, etc), but that is it. So glad to know I’m not the only one that does this!

3 Likes

My favorite “Science” superhero origin story is Captain Atom’s. I mean, a court-martialed military guy tries an experiment to get his cred back and gets teleported 20 years into the future, with silver skin and a body made of living energy? That’s a-pretty-pretty cool.

1 Like

PrettyPoisonBombshell

Isn’t it so much better tho? My friends make fun of me cuz if we’re hanging out & a trailer comes on I run out of room with fingers in ears. When I’m with my movie buddy we both do it. I watch Conan & I ff the trailers every time. Movie blind, that’s a perfect word for it, may I steal that phrase? That’s awesome. I thought we were only 2 that did it also but it makes sense. B4 I started doing it, there’s actually been movies where I watched the trailers & they were the only good parts of the movie. Like sweet, just spent $16 & the best parts were the trailers I’ve already seen 10xs. So I started doing it like 15yrs ago.

Show blind that’s what it was even better sounds like snow blind

Great taste, @Adamantine. His name is already cool, but with a gnarly backstory like that, how can you not like a character like that all the more? :slight_smile:

You and @PrettyPoisonBombshell have an awesome method of movie watching, @djd187.81432, and must be a blast to hang out with at the movies. :slight_smile: I only have one other friend who purposely doesn’t watch trailers, but I don’t know how you guys do it, what with all the tv spots shown for commercials. I end up seeing them by default even when not wanting to. >,< Half the time, I don’t pay attention to the tv when it’s on, and when I come to, boom, there’s a trailer. Can only imagine what it’s like when you run out of the room xD I’m the same on avoiding reviews, however; don’t blame you at all, as I avoid them like the plague lol

Hope there are a lot of great movies you’re looking forward to in 2019. That thread on it in the Random section has me pretty excited for what’s to come.

1 Like

MissInkBlot

There’s soo many I’m beyond excited for. Our friends mess with us. We,ll run out of the room & then when it’s over & we’re back they’ll say; can u guys believe Aquaman trips down the steps at the lighthouse & breaks his neck. My friend always says shut up lol.

Aw, those are truly the friends to have, @djd187.81432 :wink: Please let us know how you end up liking the movies you wanna see, btw. One of my resolutions is to watch more (pretty much cut out all media this past year), so I’l happily join in on the review fun when I see them, too. Also… gonna be quiet now and stop derailing your thread :stuck_out_tongue: (sorry about that! lol)

1 Like

MissInkBlot

Post all u want I love it. I’m extremely, if not impossible to upset. I’ll definitely give u my reviews, but I’ll make sure I don’t spoil anything so u don’t have to plug ears & run like I do.