Supermans ethnicity

Should Superman be portrayed by anyone other than a Caucasian actor? How important is it to preserve the creators original concept?

3 Likes

Don’t care with regards to supes or any characters ethnicity, but establish a standard and stay with it…
I think it would be more important to produce a Superman movie to rival either of Donner’s. Until that happens… Who cares!

1 Like

I want my tv and movie superheroes to look and feel just like they jumped right off of the comic page.

So yes kal-el has a specific look and feel, but the earth 23 president Superman or earth 2s val-zod would be great to see portrayed someday.

3 Likes

Jackie Chan for Superman!!

Personally, Id like him to stay Caucasian. I’m starting to get tired of the race swap thing. It’s feels forced. There are so many amazing characters who aren’t Caucasian. When characters are race swapped, it kinda takes away from the others. As if they aren’t good enough. Also no one would ever ask that question about cyborg or black lighting.

3 Likes

Multiversity has shown that any one can be superman. I think it would be cool to have a whole movie on Earth-23.

3 Likes

He should stay as accurately as possible as the source content. Hair color should be the same eye color should be same. Most importantly, the personality should be the same. If you change 1 detail like skin color why not change hair color? Or eye color or the costume color, or the accent (australian superman) or his powers. Any small detail change just evolves into a bastardazation on his character. We have plenty of very interesting black characters that i would hate to be portrait by a white or asian actor… like Steel he is awesome but he is a black hero or superman from earth 2!

5 Likes

if they staying strong with “The Worlds of DC” tagline then I dont see any problem with it. You can have prime earth superman who is a white dude then then you have earth 2 and earth 23 who would have black Supermans.

1 Like

I would like more diversity and seeing Superman not Caucasian would be fine. I do agree with the fact that there are so many great characters that are already diverse in race and ethnicity. Would love to see more of them on the big screen.

2 Likes

Technically Superman is Jewish. Personally I dont believe in race swapping. Many of the DC character’s ethnicities add critical elements to their backstories. To race swap would lose those key elements of who they are and who we grew up with. For example, it wouldn’t make sense if Black Lightning was swapped for caucasian. However, I would be supportive if DC promoted the multiverse and made a film (animated or live) for Earth 2’s Val Zod! That would be AMAZING! There are many great stories of diversity in the multiverse.

2 Likes

I literally could care less the race of the actor. I just want the character to be portrayed correctly in terms of personality.

2 Likes

What is the point of bringing a character from comics just to change it? Might as well create a new character, and move forward.

Kal-el is a white kryptonian, Val is a black kryptonian, they are not just interchangeable, just cause they are both aliens, every character is unique, and if you feel like you can change them so drastically or minimally in some ways, it means you don’t really care about the character themselves.

A white miles Morales or John Henry irons sounds so off from their actual characters, so why is it ok to change the character that has been in print for longer than almost EVERY person who has commented on any media platform.

Now seeing as though DC is making a separate joker from the DCU joker does leave the door open for them to use val or president Superman, aslong as they make it clear that they are NOT kal-el and their own character, which you know WB, being themselves, wouldn’t do

2 Likes

I feel anybody should be able to play any character in film as long as their ethnicity doesn’t play a major role in the story itself. MBJ is a talented actor, and if they do wanna go with him as superman, I’d look forward to it.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t be kal-el anymore.

Do you understand these characters were created by ppl in a specific way for a reason, and that they are trademarked characters, with things that make them who they are, they go to court for this kinda stuff, and some think it’s not a big deal when they change something actually big? Get real

2 Likes

I always love the idea of a black Kryptonian. Because I always picture myself as Super-Man. Than 2014 came in Val-Zod Superman. I also like Blue Marvel and Icon.

4 Likes

These characters were created a long time ago. They have evolved with the times. A lot of these characters are ethnicity agnostic when it comes to their core being, so any actor can and should be able to portray the character. I’m down for some Idris Elba Batman!

7 Likes

If it don’t look like they came right off the comic page they are NOT those characters period.

4 Likes

My wife and I agree. Elba Batman would be sick…that being because he’s absolutely the sh**. But I also hate characters being altered heavily it takes away from who they are in away it’s hard to feel like you know the character… Imo

Depends on the character.

1 Like

The question is misleading.

In a perfect world you would do a Calvin Ellis superman who is black and different from the Clark Kent Superman. With him you get a black Superman without changing Clark’s ethnicity. You could even have the two supermen meet(mostly to shutdown the haters and show they are different characters… spider-verse anyone).

In a perfect world hey Calvin Ellis superman movie Would set up a multiversity movie.

6 Likes