Superman...Thoughts?

No no incredibly fair points that are hard to ignore or devalue I’m not going to lie I love the separation between the two and maybe it’s because I tend to like a younger superman so he really is using both identities as dual disguises I guess my ultimate representation of this is frank quietly sketches on superman for all star and the posture for both clark and superman and how different 5hey were and I guess I like a superman that has that in bold lettering I hope this makes some sense

2 Likes

I will say that his first 10 issues on action were amazing I really loved how that became the daily planet book almost is it still that way wont lie not current

1 Like

Your right hes the guy to do supes

1 Like

I get it. The contrast between the dual identities was (still is) fun. Seeing Clark in a normal family setting as a husband and father not only emphasized his humanity but also made the otherworldliness of his powers and accomplishments stand out. I think many folks really miss those elements.

I don’t think Bendis is neglecting these things though. I think he is going about it very differently. Clark’s humanity is very obvious (see his relationship with Lois, his sadness over losing years with Jon, his memories of his father)… but the family aspect is not that of a traditional family… which I think is understandable given that it’s a family that involves the world’s most powerful man, the world’s best reporter and a super powered son.

The books you mentioned are seminal Superman works that very few argue against. Understandable that they are your reference point :slightly_smiling_face:.

When Bendis is done, I’m not sure who I’d like to see on Superman. Someone mentioned Venditti. I’m personally not the biggest fan… I find his writing a bit sterile. His action sequences are fun, but I find myself feeling very little. Feel the same way about the first 12 issues of Hawkman and his current JL run. My personal pick would be a nice long run by Brian Azzarello (love his Superman: For Tomorrow story). Also wouldn’t mind seeing Tom Taylor take a stab at writing a “normal” honest to goodness Superman after he wrote douchebag Superman (very effectively) for so long in the Injustice comics. And hey, if Geoff Johns ever wants to jump back in on the Man of Steel, I’m sure most of us would welcome him with open arms!

1 Like

I’d love geoff to come back but I dont think it will ever happened do yo8 think snyder could do something with him better than unchained

1 Like

Snyder did some solid work on Unchained and with Superman on Justice League (see the Sixth Dimension arc). I’d like to see him write more of the character, but from his interviews it seems like his focus is elsewhere after the Metal stuff. Tom King also wrote a great Superman story with Up In The Sky; wouldn’t mind seeing him either, but I think he’s booked with Strange Adventures for the next year.

1 Like

No I’m current on his justice league that’s why I ask and I hope hes not done with heroes after death metal in may I will say I’d rather not have tom on a monthly book it’s not about the character its about the monthly ship strange adventures first issue is really really good and mister miracle speaks for itself and your right up in the sky is awesome maybe a 12 issue maxi between him and clay mann

1 Like

Robert Venditti writing Superman is a great idea. DC thought so too, as Venditti is currently writing the bi-monthly Superman Giant series.

As for Bendis, I like his Superman output (through the franchise, not just on Superman itself) so far. It’s not without its qualms, but there has been a noticeable quality uptick in Superman over the last few months, which I’m glad to see. Maybe The Truth was the story he wanted to tell the most, and that excitement led to better issues? In any event, Ivan Reis’ art is beautiful.

For me, the best contemporary Superman book since Bendis came to DC is Superman Giant. Tom King was great on the original volume (with Steve Orlando popping in occasionally) and I’d argue it’s easily his most overlooked, underrated DC work.

Robert Venditti has done well in his two issues of the newer Superman Giant book. Want one and done, mostly continuity free Superman tales? Superman Giant is your book and did I mention its only two issues in? Come on, jump on board already, it’s fun! :smile:

My favorite Superman title from his regular line is absolutely Lois Lane. That book is fantastic on so many levels, as month after month, it just gets better and better.

1 Like

@Behemoth Your posts are dead on for me. I feel Tomasi and Jurgans had the comics going in the perfect direction. But Bendis is a “Bigger Name” and appears to have been given his choice of characters to write. For me he has no grasp on Superman or any supporting cast. He has basically destroyed the Kent family. Aging Jon really hurt.

I really can’t point out anything good in Bendis’s run. I do like Reis art. It gets busy sometimes but for the most part I dig it.

2 Likes

Oh my god thank you so much for this had no idea he was on the Walmart books that’s amazing thank you for that have you read fractions Jimmy Olsen by chance

2 Likes

Remember, the Giants aren’t Walmart exclusive anymore, and haven’t been since September 2019 when the new Giants line debuted. In fact, Superman Giant #2 made its direct market debut last Wednesday, while Aquaman Giant #3 hit the shops this week and Titans Giant v2 #1 is on-deck for next Wednesday.

Regarding Jimmy Olsen, I’m reading it and enjoying it heaps! I’d say it’s one of my favorite books in the Superman line right now. It’s cute, quirky and quite quixotic.

2 Likes

Thank you so so much after scott ended jl at the 39 I’m down to just being current on hawkman and green lantern and I’ve got six of the Olsen issues but really want to jump on a book so outside Tom Kings superman any recommendations

2 Likes

Oh my Granny Goodness, I could recommend Superman books for as long as the horizon is wide, but…to keep things within reason, some current reads I’d recommend are:

-Lois Lane
-Batman/Superman (it just started a new arc at #7, the latest issue, so that’d be easy to jump on board with)
-Outside of the Superman line is the Invasion of the Supermen arc in Justice League (began in #40). That’s been fun and features the Eradicator as the heavy.

2 Likes

Oh I meant just books in general but those a re e great pulls I know joshua williamson is on bat and supes is it still Marquez on the art do you know by chance

2 Likes

Nick Derington pencilled Batman/Superman #7 and will be on #8 too, since it’s a two-part story. After that, I don’t remember offhand who’s handling the art.

If you want a slightly offbeat and different Superman read in the vein of Jimmy Olsen, there’s the Bizarro mini from 2015. It’s just pure fun.

2 Likes

Thank you so much vroom

2 Likes

You’re welcome. :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

I am enjoying them. I really only liked Bendis on Daredevil and early issues of Avengers. I dreaded him coming to Superman, but it’s been a top my pull list suprisingly.

2 Likes

Tom taylor

2 Likes

Love your choice

1 Like