Superman...Thoughts?

Ok everybody third post for today and it’s a sensitive one. What’s some thoughts on superman right now. Do you like bendis do you hate bendis who should be on the book right now. Should we maybe try a 12 issue maxi series if we are too far gone in his monthly title? I think clark as a character is the most important and I feel he gets passed by what’s some things as fans and creators we could do that doesn’t just change the best parts of him and makes him stand equally with his other fellow trinity members?

I dislike what Bendis is doing with the character currently. He hasn’t really handled Superman well. I thought Tomasi was going in a great direction with Superman. But Bendis kind of ran it into the dirt by aging up Jon and destroying one of the most iconic parts of Superman.

2 Likes

Do you think we will have to wait until a continuity reset for a reboot on the book itself

1 Like

Probably. To me, it looks like Bendis is seriously botching Superman. The identity reveal, aging up Jon, and the creation of Rogol Zar are some of the absolute worst things I would imagine seeing in a Superman comic.

2 Likes

It’s my feelings as well I gave his run up until the end of the first leviathan event and just gave up supes is so important and I wish we could get a run for him like what snyder did for batman someone whose writing every story like it’s there last

1 Like

Who do you think should do it

Maybe not. I think all of what he’s doing could be handled much better than it is currently. It doesn’t have to be completely rewritten. It would just be better to have someone else write his story. His story did start out really good. I was really interested in Rogol Zar and the other stuff. But it steadily went down hill with Jon being aged up and basically removed from the story. Right now though. It is really being butchered. He goes to all these pains of revealing that Superman is Clark. But then butchers that and turns it into another been there done that of the “fear Superman” storyline.
I hope it does get better. But right now, he’s not doing a good job and someone should really bring it back on track.

1 Like

Who would you recommend if you dont mind me asking

1 Like

I’m not to knowledgeable when it comes to writers. But I would love to see Tomasi come back to the character while continuing with the current artist. I also wouldn’t mind if they brought in a co-writer.

1 Like

To be honest I have no idea right now who could fit that tone other than venditti I think his superman would be along the lines you would like and he would also honor the character I think and is it still ivan Reiss drawing the superman title right now do you know I have no idea I’d have to look if so yes hes incredible

1 Like

Yeah it’s still Reis. He’s been doing a great job. But the newest comic kind of hurts my brain. They have like 8 side by side panels across 4 pages and it’s slightly annoying.

2 Likes

Oh man I could see where that would be more distracting than anything have you ever seen doc shaners superman by chance

1 Like

Haven’t read it yet. Do you know what year that’s from?

Here’s what it looks like underneath the spoiler tag.

1 Like

It does that for like 3-4 pages. It’s hard to focus on each individual panel while still maintaining your focus on the story.

1 Like

Thank you for sending that that’s beautiful but yeah they need to space that out more and hes an artist I think just googling it should do it I dont know if hes ever drawn him in a series but he does him all the time for covers and convention pieces

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Bendis’ work on Superman. To avoid repeating myself as to why, you can check my posts here:

and here

and here

and finally a nice little back & forth starting here:

I really don’t see eye to eye at all with the detractors, but that is my personal taste.

3 Likes

Hey that’s the absolute beauty of comics is everyone has their own tastes and dont get me wrong hes an enormously talented writer and this is hypocritical but I love jon being with the legion and think hes killing it with that but I just dont agree with his choices for clark persay I guess I just idealize the image of clark over superman and bendis really drives home that this is basically only superman hes still a dad and loves lois and has that insatiable desire for truth but hes always superman and I dont know if that’s good or bad

2 Likes

Agreed. Takes more than one person to make the world; we can’t all share the same opinions/tastes :slight_smile:
I think where Bendis is seems to be going with this is seeing a more unified character. He’s Clark and he’s Superman; he’s alien, yet very human, he’s super powered yet humble and even vulnerable, righteous but not immune from mistakes… all the different dual qualities we know about the character are there in this run. It’s just more of organic mix though, than say “the Clark side” and “the Superman side”. Not sure if I’m making sense, but that is how I feel.

2 Likes

I did really love the newest cover today. So I saved the picture.

3 Likes