Superman The Movie (1978) Thread

They put this 1978 TV Making-Of Special up on YouTube:

2 Likes

I mean, it’s one thing when people do their fan trailers, ya know, cutting The Batman (2023) together to have it resemble the Batman '89 trailer. Stuff like that is fun and for kicks. But this is an OFFICIAL trailer they paid for and put together. Out there, some young kid may see this and think ‘wow, the Superman movie, I wanna see that’ and don’t get what they thought they would from the trailer. Hence, I think directors should do the trailers, not the studio or marketing firms, what the hell do they know?

2 Likes

Well, sadly, Donner is not around. I don’t necessarily think a director needs to do a trailer, they don’t - for example - cut the commercials or necessarily approve print ads or advertising tie-in and promotional materials.

As I said, the editing is incongruous to the movie, as was the choice to change the music to stuff that has no relationship to the movie, both very poor choices.

I do agree that a director or producer’s input should be taken into account, for example, Pony Boy being upset about the leaking of the WW cameo from Fury of the Gods in advertising, whereas the Flash director himself revealed the Nic Cage cameo.

1 Like

I don’t trust the studios for they are well…idiots. Let’s cut this war drama to look like a teenage coming of age story in the trailer for that will sell better.

2 Likes

Sorry, what?

1 Like

A typo that I have now fixed, although I’m sure what I meant was clear contextually.

1 Like

Happy 75th Birthday to the late Margot Kidder, Lois Lane in Superman: The Movie:

2 Likes