[Superman Fan Club] Y1 Reading 19 SUPERBOY JOINS THE CLUB!

[Superman Fan Club] Y1 Reading 19 March 11 2021

[Superman Fan Club] and other interested parties, come in come in! We are just about to start rolling this week’s Silver and Bronze Age reel from Superman and his Family’s past!

We are examining carefully these surviving historic evidences of the Silver and Bronze Age of Superman! Action #331 (1965), DC Comics Presents #17 (1980), Adventure #103 (1946 Golden Age), Jimmy Olsen #8 (1955) and Lois Lane #8 (1959) !!!

spinner rack gif

Feel free to pick and choose what you like from the selection this time around, as you would an old school comic rack back in the day…

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership), click here: DC Community

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: [Superman Fan Club]

OH NO MR. KENT!!!

ACTION COMICS (1938-) #331 (released December 1965) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE “Clark Kent’s Masquerade As Superman” I KNEW IT!!!

DC Comics Presents #17 “The Ice Slaves of Killer Frost” (released 1/80) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE A sweet team up with Firestorm when he was between comic book series (like he is now, oh Firestorm, where ARE you???)

Adventure Comics #103 (released 4/1946) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE First appearance of Superboy!

SUPERMAN’S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN (1954-) #8 (released October 1955) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE “Jimmy Olsen, Crooner!”

SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE (1958-1973) #8 (released March 1959) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE

“The Ugly Superman” (aka Lois’ new boyfriend).

Please consider sampling some of these classic Silver and Bronze Age wares, and let us know your thoughts! Feel free always to post favorite panels / scenes etc from these exciting tales.

Up Up and Away!!!

4 Likes

Nice spinner rack

3 Likes

Nice Superboy story, could definitely see a young kid from back in the day enjoying the small bit relatable stakes.
But, Superboy looks a little weird.
Of the backups, Shining Knight was the coolest. And Aquaman isn’t letting predator fish eat? What’s up with that

3 Likes

When the spinner rack works, it’s great …just don’t ask me where I got it from…

3 Likes

I got one years ago from my comic shop. They had it out back ready to throw away, it was in alright condition and I snagged it, one of my favorite possession. It’s interesting to me how many people who come to my house love it.

3 Likes

They’ve been making a comeback locally at comic book stores and I like the way they’re made now.

The dealer near me likes to put the kid-friendly stuff in there but they really hold the comics nice and straight now, they don’t bend over like they used to back in the day.

1 Like

Ya, I saw that there is a company making them now. They’re not cheap, which makes me glad I got mine from dumpster diving. I keep some of my paperback collected edition in it. I’d never put real comics in there, cause like you said, it being vintage, it has the annoying problem of bending books.

1 Like

Hello there Superman Fan Club. :wave: :sunglasses:

Ah, onto the readings… :superman_fan_club:

Action Comics (1938-) #331 Summary

I think it is good luck if a pigeon lands on your head, right? :bird: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Save the face of the Planet and get a profit. :money_mouth_face:

Oh that’s an editor all right. Nice job Chief Perry!

Woah! This is crazy as I just read about a similar situation in Action Comics #964! :astonished:

Nice for Lois to say all those nice things about Clark, and Clark had to take it one step further for her to react as I thought she might. :joy:

Say… We may have seen a modern day version of Lesla-Lar in last week’s past episode of Superman & Lois!

Wow, a time magnet is an interesting item, and nice to bring in the Legion of Superheroes to help Supergirl! :00_legion: :0_supergirl:

Funny how they wanted to get Circe as she is now an evil character. :sweat_smile:

Nice thinking Supergirl in getting Dr. Supernatural to absorb too much energy and then explode! :exploding_head: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Very interesting seeing that The Spectre is coming and… Oh no! Dr. Supernatural lives, maybe!? :ghost: :fearful:

DC Comics Presents (1978-1986) #17 Summary

This is an interesting backstory for Killer Frost. :cold_face:

Also funny how Professor Knudson said “sometimes” hero Firestorm. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It is crazy that she froze Superman’s brain to do her bidding! :grimacing:

Thank you Julie for the update! :smiley:

Funny reaction from Ronnie on transforming. :joy:

It was indeed a neat trick Ronald! :fire:

Adventure Comics (1938-) #103 Summary

How nice of Superboy to do those feats and make Betty Marr’s birthday special. :birthday:

Yeah, why ride in a car when you can fly with Superboy! :superhero:

Poor Clark… But good to see him in good spirits in not getting cake or ice cream. :clark_hv_4:

That’s also so very nice of Ma and Pa. :cry: :+1:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #8 Summary

No Jimmy, you can’t betray Superman! :scream:

And also going to the classics eh Mr. Olsen? :face_with_monocle:

Jimmy does have a good record with using bikes. :biking_man:

Jimmy did get all the necessary info to get a good profile as to who Superman is. :thinking:

Good for Jimmy getting Bart Gordon out of sorts! :rofl:

Ha, that’s what you get Mr. Gordon! Well played Superman and Jimmy! :grin:

Should have checked on Ms. Lane’s story Jimmy! :woman: :newspaper:

I imagine Superman might have been a little embarrased about having the costume off of the wax dummy. :flushed: :sweat_smile:

This is an interesting turn of events. How so could Superman be ruined Mr. Trent? :open_mouth:

It was very nice learning later that Mr. Trent tried to keep that “secret” of Superboy for so long. :sunglasses: :+1:

Interesting knowing that Henry suffered from amnesia, but good that he will be able to get home to his parents. :smiley:

Yup, poor Clark and not having that good of an imagination. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sometimes I wonder how many times Jimmy has called Perry Chief. :rofl:

Good to know Scoop the computer has gotten a Coop now. :computer:

It is pretty funny Superman. :joy: :superman_hv_4:

Oh it certainly is back to normal Clark! :rofl:

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #8 Summary

This sounds like a super birthday gift for Lois! :birthday:

Very clever of Lois is right Clark! :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

Interesting that Clark would put his secret identity in a time capsule. I wonder where Krypto was to take it back to the Fortress of Solitude? :ttns_gif_krypto:

Oh no Lois… That is clever, but probably tastes awful. :nauseated_face:

Interesting lesson learned Lois. :thinking:

This is an interesting take from Lois. :men_wrestling:

Oh no! He’s got a swivel chair! :chair:

Say 'ole chum, that emergency exit is swell! :grin:

Very nice joke their Lois! :joy:

Send out an S.O.S. to the world Clark. :coconut:

I wonder what Wonder Woman had to say about all this? :wonderwoman: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks again oh faithful club member!

Pro marketer tip, it’ll possibly help attract flies, I mean fans, fans I meant, more to the thread if you do let us see at least one favorite panel or two on your post directly, not everyone’s going to want to click to see the drop-downs …I do course I look forward to it!

The Supergirl storyline should enter a contest called Plots Gone Wild… that strange ghostly shape with the face is hilarious at the end. Guess we’ll see on Superman and Lois with Lesla-Lar. I’ve been following it on the free CW app and so far my brain hasn’t gone on fire from all the commercials…

Young Clark is definitely styling the early forties look even with the glasses in the first Superboy story. I still think it would be cool if DC was brave enough to have Superboy / Clark Kent storyline again someday.

Nice coincidence that the Superboy theme is in Jimmy Olsen this time around as well.

I’m also just noticing Clark Kent’s glasses in the 50’s Jimmy Olsen comic are similar to the ones that Superboy was wearing in the comic that came out 8 years prior. I’m thinking our club needs to do a scavenger hunt using the private messaging of "The Many Glasses of Clark Kent!" Hey I’m talking about seriously obsessing on this hobby, see?

Yeah I agree the Lois Lane plots were out of this world and yeah where was Wonder Woman for all this? DC of the 1950s responds, “What, me continuity?”

2 Likes

Ah, okay. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I usually do that just in case others have not read the story yet but could sneak one or two out of the drop down menu going forward. :sunglasses: :+1:

I found out a fun fact also about Clark’s glasses while reading Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane #8. If you pay close attention to Clark’s glasses throughout the story when Lois and Clark were “trapped” on the island, you may or may not see Clark’s glasses appear and disappear from panel to panel. :astonished: :joy:

Count me in! :partying_face: :clark_hv_4: :mag:

1 Like