[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Week 17 THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #17 B&W + script to #18, January 4th 2023

[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Secret Society of Super-Fans!

Welcome to Week 17 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week (as they are digitally published that is) of THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS (1976) .

This time around: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #17, in black and white, with Bob Rozaskis (the Answer Man) back as writer, Dick Ayers / Mike Vosburg, Artists (I think?), followed by the script to #18 that was never illustrated by DC.

ssosv 17

Click the blur below to go to Volume 2 of The Secret Society of Super-Villains, then go to page 259 for this issue- if you have Ultra.

Then, if you have time, please check out the script below for issue #18 here (this part is free, you don’t need to have Ultra to read this):

Q&A:

1. Did you like seeing the Freedom Fighters totally defeated like this?”

2. How many Mirror Master puns can you count?

3. What did you think of the Silver Ghost big reveal with Firebrand at the final drawn panel (and then later in the script for issue #18)?

4. Does anyone know the backstory we never got about the French speaking Star Sapphire?

• Extra credit: Draw a few panels or pages of issue 18 based on the script however you like, stick men accepted too!
I read THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #17
  • Yes, I did!

• Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of Secret Society of Super-Fans

This issue was never published beyond 35 Xeroxed copies, so no letter page or ads to share this time.

…

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: [Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club] Superman fan club - DC Community

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , where currently we are featuring a daily old time Superman newspaper strip, click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And our DC Community Live Chat room is here: Chat #Superman Fan Club

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Long of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle). The next one is planned for Thursday January 4th at 9 pm ET! [Superman Fan Club] 📻 Superman Radio Listen-Along 📻 Thursday 1/5: Looking for Kryptonite + The Invisible Man 9 pm ET

2 Likes

Next week we’ll read the special issue that we skipped before because we didn’t have the omnibus in Ultra.

2 Likes

Not really. I love the Quality Comics characters, so I didn’t exactly enjoy seeing them get jobbed out to a bunch of c-list Earth-One villains. I mean, these heroes were the resistance force against a world controlled by Nazis! Have some respect! However, as I pointed out last week, there weren’t many super-villains on Earth-X, so I kind of get it.

Oh, god… I counted at least three when the Mirror Master/Chronos vs. Black Condor/Phantom Lady battle started. There were also some choice time and watch puns for Chronos in there. If there are more, I don’t want to know…

This is a classic example of me getting myself excited over nothing. The last panel of issue #17 got me pumped. The Silver Ghost knows who Firebrand is! This is personal! My Public Domain comic nerd-brain went into full gear thinking who it could be. Is the Silver Ghost really Rod Reilly’s friend and man-servant, Slugger? Is he Rod’s father, “Emerald” Ed Reilly??? Then I read the script for issue #18, and… no, no… Silver Ghost is just some Nazi from Earth-X. He has no actual connection to the Golden Age comics or any other previously published story. What a letdown…

So, here’s what her DC Wiki article says:

" Remoni-Notra, of the planet Pandina, was chosen by the Zamarons to be their queen, an honor previously bequeathed upon Earth’s Carol Ferris, but refused. Remoni-Notra was given one of the five Star Sapphire gems and was told of the existence of the other four. Using her powers, she came to Earth to locate and steal Carol Ferris’ gem and joined the Secret Society of Super Villains as the new Star Sapphire in hopes of finding a clue to the gem."

Unfortunately, there’s no footnote regarding when any of that was revealed. If anyone knows, please chime in! It would be cool to read the issues with her backstory.

One more thing:

I was letdown that the Silver Ghost had no connection to the Golden Age comics. However, Golden Age continuity does work its way into issue #17. Phantom Lady mentions a time when Black Condor was a senator alongside her father. This was actually true in the Golden Age comics! Phantom Lady, of course, is the daughter of Senator Henry Knight. Black Condor became a senator (in a manner of speaking) in Crack Comics #11. After coming upon the dying Senator Tom Wright, Black Condor realizes that he and the Senator are identical. He then assumes Tom’s identity to vote down a crooked bill and remains the Senator after the real Tom Wright passes.
Senator Black Condor

Not exactly democratic and a bit morally ambiguous, but… these were desperate times. I could see Senators Henry Knight and “Tom Wright” working together as they were both concerned with defense.

Alright, that’s it for now, but I will return with some poorly drawn comic pages!

2 Likes

I am contributing a free panel for the never Illustrated issue 18 of Secret Society of Super-villains!!!

1 Like

Calling all artists calling all artists

1 Like

Well this will still be open through tomorrow night!

1 Like

I like what you did! A lot of action, and Doll Man shrinking is very cool!

So, I wanted to do two pages. As is usually the case, though, the project was bigger than I thought. I only managed to finish one panel. Here is where the Silver Ghost has all the Freedom Fighters captured and believes he has won:

1 Like

Very slick! Mind sharing if you are using a specific app to get that great lettering?

My panel may or may not have some connection with DC Comics Presents #62 - let’s just call it a “tribute” panel on my part lol.

1 Like

I have a program on my computer called Comic Creator by Summitsoft. I got it a while back to help me create my own comics which I never finish. My version is pretty old, but it gets the job done!

1 Like