[Superman Fan Club] Presents: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS Week 8

[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Secret Society of Super-Fans!

Welcome to Week 8 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week (as they are digitally published that is) of THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS (1976) #1-14 (and we hope the rare #15-16 plus other issues).

This time around: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #8, with Gerry Conway returning as writer (now freelancer) and Rich Buckler, artist with Bob Layton, inks! Now we get a glimpse of what Mr. Conway had in mind when he rolled this out originally those many many issues ago!

Above, a photo of the cover so you can see the amazing price in 1977 of…35 cents!

(click the blur below to go to the comic)

Q&A:

1. What do you think of Funky Flashman’s new look this issue? Do you think it has anything to do with Gerry C being a “freelance” writer now?

2. Any cool flying cars this time around?

3. How would you rate the unfolding new hidden benefactor of supervillains plotline?

4. Any ideas on what is going on with Captain Comet’s mysterious female friend or friends?

I read THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #8
  • Yes, I did!
  • Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of Secret Society of Super-Fans

We once again have several very special pages from the original comic book to share this time around that are not part of the digitized version. 1977 continues to be an exciting time for DC fans both then and now!

Letters page (August 1977)

…

Daily Planet with Crossword Puzzle!

…

Batman gear and superhero socks!!!

…

Super teams reign that month!

…

Tiny Bi-onic Ads!

…

Batman Hostess Ad!

…

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Long of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle). The next one is planned for Thursday November 3rd!

1 Like

It’s toooo much comic book goodness!

1 Like
  1. You can’t expect Funky to use just one look. I mean it’s the 1970s after all.

1. one flying car and a van crashes through a wall
  2. Conway’s got all sorts of plots going in and out of one another as time goes by dragging in other teams and other Earths
  3. sometimes the obvious answer is the right one, the details were supposed to be given in SSOSV #17
2 Likes

Well, the Flashman is definitely being drawn more like Stan the man than he was in previous issues of this series. On one hand, this was the original intention. Kirby based Funky off (an unflattering portrait of) Stan. That being said, it is interesting that they are indulging in this Stan Lee parody now that Conway is back at DC as a “freelancer.” My knowledge of what was happening with Conway in this period is limited. I tried to read up on it and discovered that Conway originally left Marvel because Wolfman was promoted EiC over him. Then Gerry returned to Marvel to be EiC, but only lasted in the position for about a month before stepping down. From what I understand, that’s what prompted Conway’s return to DC here. My best guess is that Flashman being drawn more like Stan suggests some sour grapes between Gerry and how things went down at Marvel. But, again, my knowledge of the inner-Marvel politics of the time are limited.

Yup!
Secret Society Car
*Cortney Building Playset sold separately.

I like it! It’s obvious that Conway really wanted the “mysterious benefactor” plotline in this book as he did it in issue #1 and is doing it again on his return. Personally, I like a little mystery in my comics. I’ve already done some digging to try to figure this one out. Going off one of the editor’s notes in this issue, I read World’s Finest Comics #103 and already have some theories going. I also really like it when writers reference obscure stories from the past, so, yeah, this works for me.

After reading issue #8 and thinking about this question, I asked myself: Do I know of a woman like this in the 1970’s DCU? A dark haired woman who is not afraid to go straight for what she wants and is good at maintaining at least two separate identities? At which point I said to myself… oh… duh… because I’d figured it out and, yeah, of course it’s her.

1 Like

Yeah I was impressed with World’s Finest #103 tying in as well. I forgot to mention that’s another great excuse to have the [Superman Fan Club] reading this LOL.

I do like the design of this issue’s flying car. Thankfully nobody’s selling toys based on this comic series.

I’ll have to go look up if Rose and Thorn was around at the time of this comic…

1 Like

Well, they were definitely around in the 70’s (and that’s another good Superman connection), but I’m not sure if they made it all the way into 1977…

Thorn’s last appearance as a backup in Lois Lane #130 was in 1973. Her next appearance is Superman #336 in 1979.

The Earth 2 Thorn appears in All-Star #72 in 1978.

2 Likes

Thanks! I figured there was probably a gap after Lois Lane ended.

…For the record, I don’t think it’s Rose and Thorn but it is a great guess based on my description.

1 Like