[Superman Fan Club] Presents: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS Week 14 December 14th 2022

[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Secret Society of Super-Fans!

Welcome to Week 14 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week (as they are digitally published that is) of THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS (1976) .

This time around: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #14, with Gerry Conway as writer (now freelancer), Mike Vosburg, Artist, and Bob McLeod, inks!

Click below to go to Volume 2 of The Secret Society of Super-Villains, then go to page 203 for this issue- if you have Ultra.

Q&A:

1. Does Power Ring’s battery still have corrupting power in today’s storylines?

2. Did the background of Volthoom change between this story and now?

3. How good did a win for poor beat up Captain Comet feel this time around?

4. When was the last time the good Captain Comet used the pistol he wears?

I read THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #14
  • Yes, I did!

• Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of Secret Society of Super-Fans

Here are the parts of this week’s comic book that have not been digitized by DC Universe Infinite Ultra:

Letters Page:

…

DC Feature Page:

…

Direct Currents Promotion:

…

Dollar Comics Ad:

…

Superman Hostess 1 pager!

…

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here:
[Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club] Superman fan club - DC Community

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , where currently we are featuring a daily old time Superman newpaper strip, click here:
Club Lounge Room Entrance

And our DC Community Live Chat room is here: Chat #Superman Fan Club

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Long of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle). The next one is planned for Thursday January 4th at 9 pm ET!

2 Likes

Finally, Superman…in the Hostess ad anyway…

1 Like

Always love a good Crime Syndicate story :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not exactly. I don’t remember seeing Power Ring’s battery mutate people into monsters in the most recent stories. However, the current version of the Ring of Volthoom does corrupt its wearer by feeding off their fears. This was most recently exhibited in the latest Crime Syndicate series. So, not exactly the same but the ring still has a corrupting influence.

Yes, Volthoom’s background has changed a lot since then and now. The Volthoom mentioned in this issue is in line with how he was characterized in Justice League of America #29:

Power Ring JLA 29
Power Ring SSoSV 14

In the modern stories, Volthoom was retconned as the “First Lantern” or the first creature in the Multiverse to wield a power ring. Power Ring’s Ring of Volthoom is now powered by a part of Volthoom’s soul and there are now Overlords of Oa from Earth-3 that oversee their Power Ring agents.

Hey! My boy gets a win!!! It was great to see Captain Comet finally come out on top and against enemies as powerful as the Crime Syndicate! He’s a jobber no more!

Honestly, I can’t remember ever seeing him use it. I even flipped through a lot of the Secret Society issues to try and double-check. It could be that I missed something, but I didn’t see it. My best guess is that he must’ve used it at some point during his original run in Strange Adventures.

One, last thing: This issue kind of threw me because we are introduced to Earth-3’s Lois Lane. This kind of confused me because I associate Super-Woman as being Earth-3’s Lois. After doing more research, I came to the conclusion that was because of Grant Morrison’s JLA: Earth Two. That story makes the alternate Earth’s Lois Lane into Super-Woman and that stuck with the character into Forever Evil and Convergence. Prior to that, Super-Woman was just an evil Amazon.

1 Like

Today we have DC Universe Ultra. Back then, we had Direct Currents. Oh, how times have changed!

2 Likes

Great point!

2 Likes

@CaptainYesterday Any time to speed read this one?

I can’t recall Captain Comet using his pistol either.

I did not read this issue as a kid, so my first encounter with Earth 3 Lois is DC Comics Presents Annual #1. The current Superwoman from the last Crime Syndicate series was Donna Troy.

I thought the power battery going “bad” after a long period of being unused was a good little twist.

Finally we get to the JSA vs SSOSV clash next issue. This will be epic!

2 Likes