[Superman Fan Club] Presents: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS Week 19 January 18th

[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Secret Society of Super-Fans!

Welcome to Week 19 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week (as they are digitally published that is) of THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS (1976-1978) .

This time around: Super-Team Family #14 (December 1977), with Gerry Conway as writer, Arvell Jones, Artist, and Romeo Tanghal, inks.

Click below to go to Volume 2 of The Secret Society of Super-Villains, then go to page 107 for this issue- if you have Ultra.

Q&A:

1. Do you like the plot about Jean Loring’s special curse that she brings with her wherever she goes? Have you seen a concept like this before in a storyline?

2. What do you enjoy about having the Floronic Man as part of this storyline? Is it his powers or perhaps his loathing of humans, or something else?

3. This time the Secret Society of Super-Villains faced a new set of heroes opposing them. Which hero, Wonder Woman or the Atom, did you feel had the most exciting role in the battles? Why?

4. Did we ever hear what Gorilla Grodd planned to do once all the nations of the world bowed to him? What was his big idea?

5. Did anyone explain why Jean Loring is suddenly mentally just fine again?

I read Super-Team Family #14
  • Yes, I did!

• Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of Secret Society of Super-Fans

Here’s a pretty cool back of the issue ad or two:

Here’s some of the letters pages:

And here is a neat ad for super hero wallets etc:

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: [Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club] Superman fan club - DC Community

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , where currently we are featuring a daily old time Superman newspaper strip, click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And our DC Community Live Chat room is here: Chat #Superman Fan Club

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Long of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle). The next one is planned for Thursday February 2nd at 9 pm ET!

1 Like

So THAT’S what Gorilla Grodd was up to!

1 Like

Any Ultras out there?

2 Likes

I remember quite a number of these comic book ads. You’re making me feel old, @Don-El !

2 Likes

I guess there’s legal reasons why they don’t publish the ads in the digital versions LOL

2 Likes

I liked it, alright. It allowed Atom to get angsty. It reminded me of the music video for Green Day’s “Walking Contradiction.”

Jason’s loathing of humanity and animal life, in general, is what makes him a fun character to read. The fact that he values plant life over all else gives him a slightly different slant than most villains.

Full credit to Atom for out-thinking the villains’ traps, but I always like watching Diana in battle. The way she ripped apart Floronic Man’s Venus flytrap while blind was impressive.

Nah. Conway allows us to fill in the blanks for ourselves. My guess is that he planned to rule the Earth as its Gorilla Emperor and remold it in his own image. Or, maybe he was just going to hold the world governments ransom for a lifetime supply of Burrito Bucket. I guess we’ll never really know…

Is she, though? I mean, she comes out of her coma and immediately tosses aside her career plans to marry Ray as soon as possible. Then, later on, there’s the stuff with Sue Dibny… Maybe the explosion woke her from her coma, but I’m not certain that Jean came out of this mentally fine.

1 Like

For some reason, a fantasy series that came out around the same time in the 1970’s that really gripped me at the time, Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, I believe had a character with a similar curse where their presence would decimate everyone around them even though the character meant no harm. …or not. I definitely wrong a piece of fiction in the 70s featuring this concept, and for sure two of my buddies read it lol.

1 Like