[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Super Fans: Season 2! Week 8 ACTION COMICS (1938-) #349

Welcome to Week 8 of Season 2 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week from the currently- digitized DC Universe Infinite collection of Silver and Bronze Age Superman and Family comic over an interesting space of time!

@Patterson65.37405 Apologies, I couldn’t find new Red Kryptonite stories you requested that we haven’t already read for the club yet, but I did find this kryptonite-related story in the Silver Age we haven’t discussed yet!

This time around: Silver Age!

ACTION COMICS (1938-) #349

Story #1The Face of Fear” by Leo Dorfman, art by Wayne Boring

Story #2, “Supergirl’s Black Deeds” by Otto Binder, art by Jim Mooney. Cover by Curt Swan!

Click blur below to go to the comic:

2 great Silver Age stories in one comic!

Q & A:

1. The Face of Fear! How was that shocker ending for you???

2. Supergirl’s Black Deeds!* Is this yet another weakness for the SuperFamily, should they be concerned?

I read ACTION COMICS (1938-) #349
  • Yes I did

• Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of The Challenge of the Superfans

Also, here is the possibly-final exciting standing of the Secret Society of Super-Fans!

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Longs of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle), the next one being Thursday March 2nd!!

1 Like

Could these possibly be the very best of the Silver Age? Hmmm…maybe not exactly…

2 Likes

No problem. I did want to check this one out anyway, so thanks.

2 Likes

The search for Red Kryptonite in the Silver and Bronze Ages continues!!!

2 Likes
  1. The Face of Fear! How was that shocker ending for you???
    Aliens saving Superman wasn’t expecting that. I’m just wondering how Krypto survived K poisoning for so long.
  2. Supergirl’s Black Deeds!* Is this yet another weakness for the SuperFamily, should they be concerned?
    Yes from time to time they can be mind controlled, lucky they are not in the Marvel Universe with all those telepaths.
2 Likes

Agreed. I’m a huge Krypto fan so, number one, I wasn’t too thrilled with how he’s drawn here, and number two, I was also sad at how helpless he was with that villain.

2 Likes

Yes, he was drawn poorly, seemed more like a starving stray than a Super Dog.

1 Like

All that was missing was the foaming at the mouth.

1 Like

Another thing: we’ve seen stories in which someone from Krypton gets exposed extensively to Green Kryptonite, and as soon as their skin turns green, they are goners. As much of a fan of Krypto as I am, he should have been dead by the end of the story. It wasn’t fair of the writers to fudge the timeline in that way.

1 Like

Agreed

2 Likes

What a way to … er …glow!

They definitely did Krypto dirty, but surprise endings for both.

2 Likes

Yeah I think maybe they overdid the use of aliens for both.

Instead of deus ex machina it was alien ex machina

3 Likes

All things considered, the Supergirl story was probably the best of the two.

1 Like

Agreed …and I’m a little late publishing this week’s challenge, I’ll have to get to that in a bit!

1 Like