[Superman Fan Club] Inaugural Reading Week 1: Superman through the Silver and Bronze Ages Retrospective Run May 6th, 2020

Oh for sure! I wanted to ask Geoff Johns what DC character he would pair with the Rocketeer, but used up my to questions. Ok now to put a dent in some of these issues.

Ok. Iā€™d never read the Parasite issue. It was a lot of fun and had me cracking up. No disrespect towards Shooter truly and very impressive for being a youngster and doing it but some of the dialogue and scenarios were classic (perhaps new then) over the top superhero things. As some one who works in labs Jensenā€™s carelessness in just opening the waste container labeled Radioactive was flat out shocking. How he immediately decides to pursue a life of crime after obtaining the intellect of scientist. How upon revealing himself to Superman and states that heā€™s glad he wore this costume and that it makes him look more intimidating? he was already a Purple People Eater! He just threw on some short shorts and put a pair of racing strips down his chest! LOL. The banter back and forth while fighting is classic and how Sup is playing on how drained he is reminded me of being a kid playing with friends and pulling the ā€œoh you didnā€™t have me I was faking it waiting for my moment to strikeā€ And to top it all off with Jensen telling him he will explain his plan now that heā€™s defeated him. I know Iā€™m ripping into this and Shooter was a kid when he wrote it, sorry. The actual fight was well done and overall premise is fantastic. I do prefer the S:TAS origin better, him having been on the raw end of a heist gone bad.

1 Like

I find 99.99% of cross-company crossovers to be fairly poopy, but a Superman/Rocketeer crossover would be a must read.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: 99.99%!
Thought bubbleā€¦carry the 9 subtract 32 add the derivative, multiples by 100
Well, I think we may just have our selves a fighting chance at a swell story right there.

Yes I agree, most Iā€™ve read donā€™t mix so well but I would pull a Fry on that one.

This is a job forā€¦ fanfiction!!!

1 Like

@Don-El Hey speak of the Devil and he shall appear :joy:
I just got off the phone with DCCC. He is doing well. He says hey and is glad you, Vroom, & moro are doing well. He is hoping to be back on the community come June/July once things open back up and work picks back up for him.

1 Like

Thanks AquamonC137. Great to hear the update, especially these days.

Next we need to get you back on the podcast with Nu52 point and counterpoint, lolā€¦ @nu52

Unless you want to wait for the Titans to come back firstā€¦

1 Like

Yeah he was very moved to know you were asking about his status. Gosh I havenā€™t been on the Podcast since January before the semester started. I was very busy this semester between school and work and really had not even been on the threads much these last few months. I took the discord thing off my phone and just totally forgot about it.

This post by @TravisMorgan reminds me, I noticed some sweet Silver and Bronze age Worldā€™s Finest recently to add to the reading plan for our [Superman Fan Club] fun. Thanks for posting Travis!

2 Likes

No problem @Don-El. I loved those old $1.00 comics with a ton of stories. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the classic Superman goodness, just the right reading for a few minutes each day this week.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the Parasite story. It reminded me of the TAS origin of Parasite. I thought the fight scene was good but was kind of surprised how quickly it was wrapped up at the end. I liked how he figured out Supermanā€™s secret identity and wanted to use that. Pretty good for a 15 year old. I enjoyed the Supergirl story too. I think my daughter and I may have read it before.

2 Likes

I agree, lots to like in that story.

Iā€™m hoping folks consider reading the Supergirl stories in these issues, as they are historical / cultural gold mines as well.

Oh, everyone is invited to the Wednesday night Superfriends Watchalong this week. We had a blast last month, and once again these will be carefully curated selections of the very best and most intriguing of the 9 seasons. Iā€™m not sure if we will do a third one, I guess it depends on if I can discover 3 more that stand out as exceptional.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be there for the SuperFriends. I like them all to at least some degree. They were my intro to the DC universe.

2 Likes

I had never read Kryptonite Nevermore before. Iā€™m curious where that will lead. I definitely prefer Clark as a newspaper reporter than as a TV news anchor. I guess they thought it would be more relevant but I donā€™t like it. The art was good but something looked weird about the lettering. Maybe it was redone?
The back up story of how Jor-El met Lara was nice. Lara was quite daring. She reminded me of Lois. Was the dog Krypto?

1 Like

Iā€™m not seeing anywhere that the dog Jor-el uses is Krypto. Iā€™m not sure Krypto is around for this reinvention / relaunch of Superman, interesting topic Iā€™ll try to dig into more today.

1 Like

Yup, as I suspected, DC (Julie Schwartz) deliberately kept Krypto out of the picture with this relaunch. Krypto returns 1974/5.

2 Likes

If ye seek exceptional Super Friends episodes, check out the final season when the showā€™s moniker was The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians.

ā€œThe Death of Supermanā€ in particular is a nifty Superman-centric episode.

2 Likes

Some quick thoughts:

Superman 76: So, to keep Lois from getting more involved and distracting the heroes from their mission, the plan was to spend all their time messing with her head instead of actually concentrating on their mission. This makes sense!

Action 252: I really liked the Metallo story, however what was up with the Niagara Falls scene? That seemed rather pointless, especially when the main story is basically resolved in the very last few pages with a snagged shirt.

Action 340: I liked this one quite a bit, even though the origin of how Parasite receivers his powers was fairly simplistic.

Action 233: This is my first time reading this, and I always wondered how Clark became a TV man. Seemed like the start of a fun period in Supermanā€™s life. This was my favorite of this weekā€™s sampling.

Superman 233: I liked this one, too. I especially liked taking a nostalgic look back at Supermanā€™s zoo. Seems a bit cruel looking back, I guessā€¦he canā€™t possibly have the best environments for all those exotic alien creatures, but stillā€¦pretty cool.

4 Likes

For Action 252, the series totally living up to its title since it has both the original appearance of Metallo and Supergirl, I believe the Niagara Falls scene was one of those many side things that Superman is forced to do in his role in society and a great excuse for having Metallo / John Corben get involved with Lois more since Clark was gone at lunch time and now as a result of that chance circumstance, she thinks John is Superman.

it may seem odd that John Corben looks similar to Clark and Superman but a couple things here-one, to the aliens of Mars Attacks, all humans look the same (and we feel the same way about them right?),

unnamed

And, two, sometimes people really do look very similar.

2 Likes