Superman: Emperor Joker Comic Talk

Have you read Superman: Emperor Joker? Are you interested in this 5-comic run? I just finished checking it out since first spotting the killer front cover posted here by @dogwelder9 in @Don-El’s Comic Book Covers Featuring a Stark Single Color Background Fan Clubhouse! thread. This was my first time reading a Superman comic, albeit contained a mix of DC favorites like Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Plasticman, and more - so it’s not an entirely Superman-focused adventure. I loved the comedy, creativity, art style, and overall story. It is a visual feast and I even found a few bonus references to add to the Fun “Real” References/Ads in Comics thread! Highly recommended series!

What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

Links to the issues:

2 Likes

I’ll be sure to check this out, looks interesting enough!

2 Likes

Excellent, @AnonymousBB! Let me know what you think once you’re done. It was a fantastic read for me!

1 Like

I am semi-obsessed with the growth and maintenance of a super-hero’s rogues gallery. I bring that up because I yearned to see some of Emperor’s Joker League of Anarchy appear again. I thought that Bounty might have been an attempt to make a modern version of Terra-Man. Since they matched him up against John Henry Irons, I half-hoped he would come back to menace Steel as a recurring foe.

I thought Gorgeous Gilly was gruesomely hilarious an would love to see her return to comics in some way.

All that aside, I loved the Emperor Joker story. I would happily re-read that classic story again.

2 Likes

I’ve read Emperor Joker, and I enjoy it more every time I dive into it.

The Superman: Arkham arc that preceded it was fun too.

1 Like

Thank you for weighing in, @cosnerama.86780! I really enjoyed TJLOA (The Joker League of Anarchy) too. :joker_hv_1: There was a great variety in characters used and I liked how each was modified to fit into the crew. I agree - Gorgeous Gilly was equally terrifying and hilarious! Since you have an interest in the super hero rogues gallery, have you found other comics that use a similar model? Did you like the creativity in the main hero’s alterations too (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Plasticman, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc.)? I thought the little story panels were fantastic!

Awesome, @Vroom! What is your favorite part?

Thank you for the Superman: Arkham reference. I’ll check that one out!

1 Like

Links to Superman: Arkham (the preceding story):

2 Likes

Favorite part…well, I don’t really have one, but the Emperor Joker one-shot is fun.

There’s also an episode of Batman: The Brave and The Bold (titled “Emperor Joker!”) that adapted the story. I believe it’s in season 3, and while it differs from the comic story a bit, it’s still quite fun.

2 Likes

Nice catch, @Vroom! It is in Batman: The Brave and The Bold Season 2 - Episode 19. I like the mod of Bat-Mite providing Emperor Joker the power, a fun alteration that ties in well with The Brave and The Bold’s crazy storylines.

1 Like

Emperor Joker took me by surprise. I love the cartoony vibe throughout the story. It was enjoyable to see how they depicted a lot of mainstay big name characters. I loved the Arkham Asylum Joker inspired riot. Also the Darkseid anti-life equation & Mxyptylyk sections. Imho a must read involving a lot of classic characters.

1 Like

I completely agree, @dago-mage! It took me by surprise too! I also the “cartoony”, almost animated vibe - like it could jump right off the page! So much fun seeing all of the different DC characters come together in The Joker’s upside-down world. It is definitely a must read and I hope that this discussion encourages others to check it out!

1 Like

I agree with @KeyFamily. It was like reading a cartoon series with a combination of silly & serious tones. An emotional roller coaster & a great storyline.

1 Like

I’m glad you brought that up, @dago-mage! I was astonished at the tone change nearing the end of the story. Up until that point, things were jovial and silly, with The Joker being the main controller of the story. I only had surface knowledge of Superman, so the friendship and sacrifice that Clark was willing to make for Bruce was both shocking and deeply moving.

1 Like

Yes, I did love the weirdo riffs on the JLA heroes. As a big Aquaman nut, I was most tickled by that specific one.

1 Like

Yes! The Aquaman jokes were some of my favorites too, @cosnerama.86780! I especially loved Aqua “Lung” Lad. :laughing:

If you liked Emperor Joker, you should read Jeph Loeb’s Superman/Batman (#20-25) story “With a Vengeance!”. It’s a semi-sequel to this storyline.

2 Likes

For those who have read the books, is there any underlying symbolism or reference in this page with the highlighted words (“amalgam”, “zero hour”, and “crisis)?

I really can’t tell if you are joking or not, but here we go
Amalgam Comics

Zero Hour was a big DC comics company crossover in the 1990s
Zero Hour: Crisis in Time! - Wikipedia!
And Crisis most likely refers to Crisis on Infinite Earth, but there have been a few now, but this is probably a threw back to the 1984 mini series
Crisis on Infinite Earths - Wikipedia