Superman Creative Going Into 2023 – New Teams or the Same Ones?

Hey all! Just curious… Are the Superman creative teams changing up in 2023, or are they remaining the same? Personally, I think a changeup is in order, as both “Action Comics” and the retiring “Superman: Son of Kal-El” have been ok, but not stellar. “The Warworld Saga” has been hit or miss for me, and Jon Kent seems to have lost his footing a little bit. Hopefully, with the new year comes new creative sparks. Fingers crossed!

Happy Friday!
Brian

4 Likes

Happy batFriday hope ur day is battaaatic

5 Likes

Back at ya! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personally I am looking forward to the Lazarus Planet series, there is one for Lazarus Planet Krypton,

An I missed out on action comics warworld but picked up on the Return of Superman 5 parter with Jon an Clark reuniting, I got a couple of the Superman Volumes , but I stopped at the Superman- Son of Kal-El, ANYBEANS

I am looking forward to and am subscribing for Superman in Action Comics for 2023

Grilled Cheese

4 Likes

Action Comics kinds of scares me after issue #1050. 3 stories in one comic? That hasn’t happened in decades! I wish they would create a separate comic entitled “Superman Family” for all those characters. They do it for Batman, why not Superman? lol But, besides that, I’m looking forward to Superman in 2023.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think Johnson nor Taylor have really dropped the ball on their respective Super titles. Have they been perfect? No. But, I truly think Johnson’s Warworld Saga was better than its 90’s counter-part in the new ideas it brought to the mythos and in how it handled the inspirational moments. Some grumbled about how long the Bendix saga lasted in Son of Kal-El, but I would argue it didn’t play the same note throughout. I don’t believe either writer has failed on a level that should cost them their jobs.

Also, a lot of fans bemoan the lack of long-form storytelling in modern comics. The only way you get that kind of storytelling is if you have creative teams stay on their books for longer than a year or two. I would also ask who would DC bring to replace them? I would want Waid or Morrison but I know it wouldn’t be them for different reasons. I’m not sure there’s anyone available who would clearly do a better job. All in all, I’d stick with them unless the sales numbers truly bottomed out.

5 Likes

It seems like superman is not as popular as batman so there is only 1 superman monthly title. It is good that there is that other superman title called superman lost. There is no kara zor-el solo title yet so maybe she will be in Action Comics for a while.

4 Likes

Technically we have had two Superman titles, unless you assume that only titles that feature Clark Kent are Superman titles. And Superwoman of Tomorrow did run for essentially a year. I believe the new DC plan is not to have a large collection of on-going titles but to have a number of both the one, two and three issue prestige format/Black Label runs, which sadly seem mostly to be Bat related by and large, and a fair number of limited series, which seem to be 4/6/10 or 12 issues. I actually think this is a more workable plan for DC, versus the relentless new numbering the main competitor engages in.

As far as I understood the solicits, @bridder01, Taylor is remaining on the Jon Kent book, which was solicited to the direct market as a limited run (I think it was 10 or 12) and Johnson is starting off Action but possibly not staying past the first or two arcs?

@TheCosmicMoth my main issue with Warworld was, if you take into account the preliminary stuff, especially the Morrison mini, it ran for far too long - without the pay-off to merit it, especially given what the outcome was. Likewise, simply because Bendis wasn’t really that interesting enough - although it was more mixed in because it wasn’t all just Bendix/Gamorra but still.

2 Likes

Dude I have noticed this as well, like at my LCS, and looking at my comic subscription site, everything is Batman, like there has to be close to 10 or more Batman stories / spin offs / or Bat family related stories, or one shots, and Superman is just, meh what ever.

What I also like about Superman, is even with all his powers, everyone always doesn’t take him to be that smart, like he is just a big dumb jock. An he is far from it.

any beans Superman 2023!

2 Likes

My guess is superman was based on samson and hercules who were not known for being smart.

1 Like

The less said about the Bendis run, the better. “Superman” wasn’t horrible, because Ivan Reis was the primary artist on that and it made the stories bearable. “Action Comics”, on the other hand, especially when John Romita, Jr. took over for the final 11 issues of the Bendis run, are completely unreadable. The art is so rotten, I keep those separate because they make my head hurt just looking at the art. The last year hasn’t been too horrible - peaks and valleys, as is normal with any piece of literature. Bringing in former writers/artists to try to relive the glory days of the early 1990’s wouldn’t help the books now. Superman should have fresh blood to try taking the wheel and driving it for a bit. My one lone hope is that the coming year, there’s no major DCU-wide story. “Dark Crisis” is good, but it’s becoming too much of a habit over the last 5 years. Major stories should be brought out sparingly, or the impact they have won’t register. Give all characters a chance to find their groove and go with it for a bit. Just my 2 cents. lol

1 Like