šŸ“– šŸ“ŗ Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Watch Party Event Today, April 28th at 5 PM PST! šŸ“ŗ šŸ“–

Yes love the use of color throughout this series! Great observation!

1 Like

Itā€™s so true! Iā€™ve always loved Superman and honestly canā€™t pin down the moment that I fell in love with the character but it had to be due to the Saturday morning cartoons. It wasnā€™t until high school I picked up my first comic and then found a comic shop and there went what little income I earned for the rest of time! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:dromedary_camel: Happy Humpday! You know what that means? Itā€™s the start of week 2 of our reading extravaganza!

Today we have one week to read the next 2 issues and we are one week closer to our Watch Party on the 28th! Things are starting to heat up in the next two issues!

Week 2 April 14 - 21
Issues 3 & 4

Click Here for Discussion Prompts
  1. We get some great special appearances by some of our favorite and not as well known villains in issue #3. Can you identify some of the more obscure villains?

2. We are also treated to some epic fight scenes in both issues! Do you think they accurately portray each characterā€™s abilities?

1 Like
  1. I see King Shark in the last group of villains. Giganta and Black Manta are there. Is that Riot peeking out next to Icicle? And maybe Polka Dot Manā€™s arm?

2. The epic fight scenes seem accurate to me. However Iā€™m not the best at looking really closely at that kind of thing. Superman uses many of standard powers: flight, strength, speed, heat vision, ā€œarctic breath,ā€ super hearing. Batman is agile, super skilled at fighting, and quick to use gadgets, and he doesnā€™t seem to be doing anything crazy like taking down metahumans with his bare hands. Nothing seemed so wrong that it took me out of the fights.

Great stuff again. Love the ending to issue #4.

2 Likes

Great points especially on Batman. Iā€™m watching the animated series right now and I get a little miffed at how he can just dodge every bullet and seems to have endless batarangs. I think Loeb does a good job at grounding him and finding that happy medium between realistic but still fantasy:)

Hey if any of you guys are runners there is a virtual 5K on National Superhero Day you can sign up for! Itā€™s on sale today and you can get an additional $5 off with the discount code: HERO
Iā€™m totally going to do this and run down my block wearing my Superman cape!

2 Likes

Wild!

I think issue #3 is my favorite of the 6. Itā€™s just got everything Iā€™m looking for! Issue #4 is also epic and I love seeing our heroes up against each other and admittedly outmatched.

We can see Luthorā€™s advisors learning about :00_superman1: & :batman:ā€™s approach and discussing what to do. I assume the conversation was something like this:

ā€œMaā€™am we have confirmation Superman is on approach.ā€

ā€œYou canā€™t sit on this he has to be informed.ā€

ā€œVice President Ross, Do your job or I will do it for you.ā€

Also, side note, how awesome Lois is totally in on the subterfuge!

I also really liked the inner monologue of :00_superman1: & :batman: and how they essentially say the same things about each other but in their own way.

Also, donā€™t be like :batman:, tell your friends when they impress you or do something amazing. Donā€™t be stingy with your compliments.

Fantastic moment showing :00_superman1:ā€™s really just Dorothy deep down :tornado: and :batman: prefers to be grounded :joy:

I drew some arrows pointing out the Kryptonite radiation thatā€™s visible in the sky. I thought it was the aurora at first. I also like how :00_superman1: totally lies and is like ā€œyeah yeah me too, Iā€™m fine.ā€ When clearly thatā€™s not the case.

And finally a question, is this a coloring error in the dialogue box? Theyā€™re usually opaque but these are very transparent. Or is :batman: whispering in his head?

:camel: Itā€™s Humpday again and you know the drill! Itā€™s the final week of our read along and the final stretch till the highly anticipated Watch Party on Thursday, April 29, 2021 12:00 AM

Feel free to discuss the discussion prompts on these two issues and your overall comments on the series as a whole!

4 Likes
  1. In reality, no, the heroes should not have broken into the White House. There was definitely potential for Luthor to twist that to his own ends. Rescuing :00_superman1: and :00_batman_1989: would only have helped if they were able to get evidence of Luthorā€™s misdeeds. Iā€™m sure Luthor would see it as validating his concerns, but he has a long history of operating outside the law himself. The break-in was a foolish ploy, but it did make for pretty good comic reading, so Iā€™m not going to complain.

2. Iā€™ve read a fair amount of Silver Age :00_superman1: and :00_batman_1989: as best friends, which is probably my favorite take, but I do like this iteration. They still get along well overall. I think thereā€™s a temptation to lean too hard into the contrast, but the the differences between our boys can make for good drama and character work in the hands of a skilled writer like Loeb. Iā€™d say I like this iteration better than the New 52. Part of that is probably having more experienced heroes here. I love having the two heavy hitters together. Writing a good story with two leads seems to be difficult, but when itā€™s done well, I absolutely love it.

On a side note, great to see :00_superman1: take down power suit :00_lex_luthor:. I loved tying up the President Lex story from :00_superman1:ā€™s solo titles. Iā€™m also a huge fan of the completely ridiculous composite rocket ship.

3 Likes

@brian_hofman have you watched the movie yet or will this Wednesday be the first time? I think you mentioned before that youā€™ve read the comics before. Iā€™m looking forward to hearing your perspective on the film adaption :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @Bar-El! Iā€™m really glad you put this together.

I have seen the movie before. I really enjoy it. I actually bought a double feature of the two animated Superman/Batman movies a few years back. Sadly Wednesday evenings donā€™t work for me, so I canā€™t watch along, but Iā€™m hoping to rewatch the movie on my own sometime this week. Iā€™ll try to share a few thoughts then.

1 Like

Please do! I find it fascinating how they change seemingly insignificant things but it ends up shifting the tone. Just little things like Batman says dialogue originally Superman said in the comics. Or they shuffle some things for time etc. looking forward to hearing your perspective! We will miss you! Hope to see you in the next read and watch next month! :smiley:

1 Like

Happy Monday folks! Iā€™ve got lots of thoughts as usual for these last 2 issues!

1. Krypto is so hardcore and the best boy for trying to rescue his pa! I need more Krypto content!

1. I love this Huntress moment and the Batfamily dynamics in this issue so much!

1. I had to look this quote up since Iā€™ve never experienced any Shakespeare in my life I was excited to learn itā€™s from Macbeth and totally fits the narrative of Luthor!

1. Epic Batman reveal!

1. This entire page is awesome!

1. Classic Jimmy/Perry moment that makes me chuckle every time.

1. Proof that Bats has more cash! :moneybag: :batparrot: :moneybag:

I love these comics so much! I seriously have read them so many times over and it doesnā€™t matter, they are so fun and exciting!

You have 2 more days to finish up the comics and then itā€™s watch party time!

3 Likes

I hope to catch up on my sleep so I can join the watch along.

I barely held on for Godzilla and Kong last Friday lol.

2 Likes

Guess you need an interdimensional ship jump like they gave Kong!

2 Likes

Thanks to last Fridayā€™s Watch Along I now know why they call Kong ā€œKingā€ and where Gatorade came from.

I got a fairly decent amount of sleep last night at a proper time, I feel confident that Grandpa can stay up at least for the first half of this tonight, maybe all of itā€¦ Yaaa hoooo!

Weā€™re giving away the copy I have of this on DVD to Goodwill (along with a stack of other frankly super DVDs but never Babylon 5 as Iā€™m only through season 1 and beginning season 2) so this is the only way Iā€™m going to see it I guess, since I hadnā€™t gotten around to watching it.

2 Likes

Happy National Superhero Day!

Itā€™s finally time to celebrate in style with our Watch Party 12:00:00 AM!

Get your cape ironed out, ready the popcorn, and settle into your batchair!
:popcorn: :couch_and_lamp: :tv:

8 hours until syncronized :arrow_forward:

2 Likes

That is so generous of you! I love to donate Superman stuff. I recently donated some comics to a Library version of Goodwill we have here. They have an entire Superhero section that is always picked clean!

3 Likes

Tonight is the night!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes