Superman and Lois Lane - Speculation Thread

I think they are trying to capture “Lois and Clark with kids” vibe. I didn’t like L&C, but plenty of people did.

Also, it is a different world with a different history. So in this new world Supergirl may not have fought Luthor or Brainiac or Metallo. They can bring new iterations of these characters (although just moving Lex from Supergirl to Superman makes sense. Lex really only had the one “red daughter” event. So he could easily be retconned as a main villain for Superman instead of Supergirl.

That is the great thing about COIE. Everything before it is canon, but moving forward only some, if any, of those events happened in this timeline.

5 Likes

We saw in Crisis part 5 that with the merged earth, villains go to different heroes, so the ones Supergirl “took” can be in Superman as well. Also, we don’t know how much they’ve changed by merging them into one earth. We know President Luthor and more kids, but we’ve yet to see all the ramifications from Crisis. It can definitely allow them to retcon what they need to give each show what they need to be unique and true to source material.

1 Like

Yeah they could make Lex Superman’s main villain and Lena Supergirl’s to retcon into something more akin to the comics.

1 Like

I think they should make that into an animated movie, making it a focus of a tv show would be hard, especially as @henrywalsh77.6742 said, it’s too bold for the arrowverse.

It could allow for a “Super Sons” story which would work with the more family focused nature of the show. Each show in the arrowverse needs a different vibe and they’ve done that well with the character choices. Arrow was dark and gritty, Flash was brighter and had superpowers, Supergirl bright with the alien focus, black Lightning was dark and gritty with superpowers and family, legends are campy comic classics with magic. Superman and Lois could be bright and family focused with superpowers, a combination we haven’t gotten.

2 Likes

Lena isn’t a villainous character, and the show has already undone the first half of the season where she was “flirting with the darkness” so that she and Kara are (still) friends (again) … or that’s what’s implied by Alex’s comment about Lena before J’onn does his ‘memory thingie’ to her (Alex).

1 Like

The trailer for this weeks supergirl episode shows that Lena remembers the old world, so thinks Lex should be dead and her and Kara aren’t friends.

She’s been the antagonist and embodies the “hero of her own story” that makes for a good villain. If she and Kara don’t make up then I can see her continuing down the dark path. Lex also thinks he’s doing the right thing, it could be a Luthor trait. It would be more tragic and harder for Kara to remember who Lena was and blame herself for Lena’s actions, similar to Clark in Smallville.

1 Like

Being an antagonist is not the same thing as being a villain.

Antagonists are simply people who act in opposition to the protagonist; antagonists can be perfectly ‘good’ people, but fill an antagonistic role because what they’re doing is in opposition to or contrast with the protagonist.

As morally questionable as some of the stuff Lena has done might be to some, she hasn’t ever been presented or defined as being a villain.

And her knowing that Lex should be dead doesn’t automatically mean that she and Kara’s friendship is still fractured; it’s all going to depend on what they show us going forward with the two of them.

3 Likes

I do hope they resolve the Lensa/Kara rift. They work better as a team rather than in conflict. It also makes Lex look even more “villainous” and ego maniacal.

2 Likes

I hope the “kids” have grandparents. Jonathan and Martha/Sam and Ella? If we are doing family let’s set a big table.

1 Like

Oh, for heaven’s sake. How hard is it to find new villains? Here are a few antagonists for Superman, just off the top of my head:

Lois

The Devil

Dinosaurs

The Ghost of Jack Kirby

Twitter mobs

Ennui

The Japanese, of course

Voldemort

A Thinly-Veiled Stand-in for any Republican President

Bears

Grammar

Captain Kryptonite

The Death of Print Media

I hope that helps. You are most welcome.

I am really excited about this show, although I am really excited about any Superman or Superman related show. Sadly Krypton ended up breaking the 100% success rate Superman shows have had (although even it was a hit in season 1 but sadly had the sophomore slump). Add to that nothing in the arrowverse has been cancelled and Black Lighting, their most recent show is pickedup at least to season 4 everyone else more seasons… and it seems primed to do well.

As for how it will work… I agree about Supergirl having taken his biggest villains although Lex could easily move to Superman or be an antagonist in both even. So sure he will be part of the show, especially as it is clear Lex still considers Superman his TRUE enemy. When he got the book of destiny he didn’t try to kill other world’s Supergirls.

I also think it will redeem Tyler. His Superman has not been real well recieved but that is largely because unlike any other Superman on TV (or movies), due to him being a recurring supporting character and not the star he has basically taken a back seat. I mean it is Supergirl’s show, as the lead it would show him in the light people want to see.

Clearly it will revolve heavily around Superman and Lois as parents. Not sure where the seemingly having two kids now instead of 1 is going. but I am guessing they will eventually age up like Johnathan Kent in the comics. As basies they are little more then props and short of them being captured or the like not much they can do with them, and that can’t happen every week. Where as they are full characters if they become teens or hell even pre-teens.

I am leery because Superman Returns did not fare well giving Superman a kid and Lois and Clark was cancelled with them being dumped with a baby. But I think the Arrowverse has the potential to make it work.

1 Like

I’m definitely eager to see what Tyler’s Superman can do when he’s given the spotlight. Elseworlds and Crisis gave us more of an idea what his Superman could be.

He’s got two sons now, huh? One is Jon and while I love the idea someone put forth that maybe Chris could be the other son…what about Keith from the 90’s run of comics? He was a staple in the Man of Steel title in the 90’s. I loved the relationship he had with Perry and Alice when they adopted him. Maybe they could have that same dynamic with Clark and Lois.

2 Likes