Superman #18. Thoughts?

So, I guess Superman is following “Titans” lead with the whole no secret identity thing?

Idk, I wouldnt say #18 was bad. I mean for one that panel with Perry was amazing. However, the whole Clark revealing to the world hes Superman does feel…kinda disappointing.

I mean I definitely was more open to the rebirth changes of them killing off new 52 supes and bringing in rebirth Supes and family than I am of this change.

Although there has been quite a lot leading up to this. The whole Leviathan storylinr. The Lois Lane solo comic where Clark was really getting fed up with people thinking Lois was cheating on him with Superman. Which all started with the beginning of Bendis’ run that started it all.

Idk, I currently feel like how I felt after Batman #50, ya know? (Like dont like the outcome but cant really hate on the work put in)

So, what’s everyones thoughts on the subject?

3 Likes

I felt disappointed too. It felt kind of like a kick in the gut after Jon leaves. It makes sense leading up to it. But the way they justified it in the comic alone was kind of weird. Maybe I am too much of an og Supes fan who thinks he can never change.
But I am trying to remain optimistic about future storylines this could bring. All that I think will happen though is Lois being in increased danger.

2 Likes

Like, I know it’s something that happens down the line (legion would exist if that wasnt the case) but it feels extremely expedited. The best way I can put it is if Bruce quickly become like old man batman beyond style Bruce in current continuity right now. Sure its bound to happen, but it would feel super forced/rushed.

(Which now explains why Jon was aged up to the teens, to rush into this Legion-esk future/present)

I think if DC aged Jon gradually and let this type of story develope gradually it would be better recieved, but idk that’s just my viewpoint on the whole thing

2 Likes

I just got done reading it. I thought his speech was ok but his reasoning all over the place. How does not telling everyone everything about you dishonest? People are allowed secrets. Secrets arnt an inheritintly bad thing, espesialy if its to protect outhers. Which is kinda Supermans thing :thinking:. Also the whole I know what to do with superman but not clark thing is dumb. You are Clark, superman is just your job! :expressionless:

3 Likes

I was thinking about the secret Identity thing a lot lately while following the Podcast Superman Movie Minute.
The purpose of a Secret identity is to protect loved ones from the bad guys.
Generally, The secret is only shared with other heroes and/or a single confidant/sidekick.
When the hero becomes personally involved with someone. He/she may eventually reveal that identity to their significant other. . sometimes.

Now In Superman II’s case the dual identity goes all wrong because while the Dual Identity is revealed to Lois, It’s made clear that the man she loves is always Superman. The problem is. Word has apparently gotten out that Superman and Lois Lane are an item because Lex Luthor advises General Zod to take Lois hostage to draw in Superman and later Ursa has the same idea when they decide to go after Superman at the fortress of Solitude.
So Lois knowing the secret isn’t what endangers her. It’s that regardless of who knows the secret, the fact that Lois Lane is Superman’s publicly acknowledged girlfriend is what actually endangers her.
The Post Crisis Superman comics fix this by making Clark more of an everyman who Lois can fall in love with and after they’re engaged he reveals the truth to her but because the Public just sees her being married to another reporter, she’s way less likely to be targeted by Superman’s primary rogues.
This new revelation however completely undermines that.
First of all, Not only is Lois back in the crosshairs the way she was in the Silver/bronze ages but now The Entire Daily Planet is in the crosshairs as is anyone who’s ever been associated with Clark Kent especially now that Clark Kent is known to be Superman.

Secondly, Superman’s public identity undermines his journalism. People have a tendency to treat Superman differently than Clark Kent. Many would blindly agree to anything Superman had to say because “He’s Superman! He always tells the truth! So you can take whatever he says as gospel!” However. Even if Clark Kent says (pretty much) the same thing on his own in a newspaper article…people may approach it with more objectivity and if they agree with him. It will be a more honest agreement based on critical thinking and not just a nearly religious fervent belief in agreeing with everything he says. Now that Superman’s secret is out, anything he writes will be seen through the lense of He’s Superman so you can take him at his word. Which impairs the publics critical thinking and eventually it also compromises the Daily Planet’s reputation for Objectivity. This is because as “Superman’s favored Newspaper” it also will now be seen as “the Mouthpiece of God!”

4 Likes

I enjoyed it. I was glad Bendis got right to the point and didn’t drag out several issues to get to the reveal.

With his identity in the open, no villain can use “I know who you are Superman, and I’m going to tell the world!” as leverage over him anymore. Superman would now say “Yeah, and? Everybody knows who I am.”.

I’m eager for more of this story.

3 Likes

@Shark-Seed, I don’t think the DC editorial staff believe that about the Clark/Supes duality anymore. To these dummies, Superman is the real guy and Clark is the facade. He was brought ups as Clark, not as a super-hero. John Byrne got it right 33 years ago and no one will ever convince me otherwise. Let’s hope this stunt will get retconned quickly.

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870 you would think that would be obvious seeing how in his priviate time Bruce, Diana and anyone close to him, while hes in uniform call him Clark instead of Superman. Just like how Clark dosnt call them Batman and Wonder Woman. Just a cursory glace at his orgin story should tell you Clark sees himself much more as a human with krpytonian hertage than a kryptonian living among humans. Thats SuperGirl. If you want to do the alien adapting to human society do her or Martian Manhunter. Thats literally what The Martian Manhunter book going ongoing right now touches on. (by the way that book is great and is almost over to :alien::sob:)

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that same point (what you said in the second part)

Like some will argue that “Well Jon isnt there, Lois is already in danger, etc”. However, even putting away dangers of people knowing where you hang your Cape. Theres the loss of the usefulness of the alter ego with journalism.

As Clark people would be weary of him as a reporter but since its clumsy Clark Kent their guard is definitely lower than it would be with someone like Superman? Or Lois? If Clark still wants to be a journalist after this reveal, people will always have their guard up when trying to do his journalist thing. Ya know?

1 Like

The debate over whether Clark or Superman is the real person is interesting but IMO misses the point somewhat. Both are real; both are parts of who he is. That’s what the reveal is about - he’s sharing the whole truth of who he is, rather than attempting to compartmentalize it.

3 Likes

The $#!% that went down in Superman 18 reminded me of a line from Lois and Clark: “Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am.”

To me, that’s about as complicated as the whole Supes/Clark duality gets. The Clark identity is not some “dirty secret” of Superman’s, nor should Clark be seeking therapy because he “doesn’t know who he is anymore” like in Heroes in Crisis.

The only part of the issue that I liked was the moment when Clark reveals his identity to Perry and Jimmy. That seemed necessary, and to be honest, it’s about as much of a shift in Superman’s status quo as I would ever want to see within the context of the present day. Obviously, Superman will have to reveal his identity at some point, considering that everyone else will age around him while he stays about the same. But that really shouldn’t be happening now.

There have already been so many stories where Superman’s identity is revealed, and they all end really badly. If it was up to me, I would pull Bendis from the book immediately, and put a writer on board who actually understands a thing or two about the absolute basics of who Superman is.

2 Likes

My biggest problem is the fact that Lois and Clark have been reporting on Superman for YEARS. To say that was biased reporting (or could at least be construed as such) is a massive understatement. Their journalistic integrity, and by extension the Daily Planet’s, has got to be called into question. Clark wanted to come clean, he probably should have been careful what he wished for. He can live as Kal, but living as Clark is about to become all but impossible.

3 Likes

Right?!? I mean, Bendis/whoever had the audacity to think that Clark would be short-sighted enough to reveal his identity on live television and follow it up with, “Don’t worry though, I’m still gonna work at the Planet and be a reporter.”

I swear, the next crisis can’t come soon enough.

1 Like

Adventures of Superman #525

4 Likes

Batman seems to be hinting at the same thing right now.

2 Likes

Y’know, I really hope they don’t go through with that…

2 Likes

Indeed.

1 Like