Supergirl Sketch Cover Process

Hey Everyone!

I had a community member inquire on how I go about illustrating my work on the sketch covers. For this piece I used colored pencil.

1. Started out with a sketch and added all the detail to it that I felt that needed for this particular work.

2. I like to establish where my shadows are. That better helps me to visually see my work take form.
    **The areas that I did not plot out shadows first were in the sky, her hair and her belt. I layed down a light layer of color and then slowly started to layout the darker colors/shadows.

3. I go back and reinforce any areas that might show too much white on the page, or that don’t have enough shadow.

4. I add in any detail/line art in that I feel the piece needs to get the look I’m going for.

That’s a quick summary of how produce pieces in this medium. I hope this was helpful. If you any questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers!

10 Likes

I really like seeing how you made this.

3 Likes

Great use of space! Love the spray of falling discarded clothes. You’ve got lovely movement in the figure, cape, and surrounding elements.

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

That is fantastic!

4 Likes

Thanks! I def like using asymmetry in my work—scattered/discarded clothing works out great for a lot heroes, but most iconic for anyone in the Superman family

2 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Amazing

3 Likes

@KoolKris0426, thank you!

3 Likes

@UnLagunas, I’m tagging you this thread. I did a brief synopsis of how I created this sketch cover in colored pencil. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask :grin:

Thank you for inquiring!

3 Likes

That’s awesome. Love the step by step. Thanks for sharing your process.

2 Likes

Thank you! No problem at all. I’m just glad our community members are enjoying my work and asking me to share my process. It means a lot — this is a great community!

2 Likes

No problem. I’ll just say you’re welcome & thank u here instead of here & the Raven pic. I just came from the Raven. Yeah, that’s very cool to see step by step. I’m glad somebody asked, so we could all enjoy it.

2 Likes

Thank you, it has proven to be a pleasure watching your progress with this piece!
-M

2 Likes