Supergirl Pride Watch-Along: First Transgender Superhero on TV! Saturday, 6/26 @ 9:30 PM EST/6:30 PM PST

WAL 2

Welcome, Couch Club!

Though Nia Nal had already been an established presence in National City after the first half of Supergirl’s fourth season, it wasn’t until this installment that she would truly make history.

To help wrap up Pride Month, the Arrowverse Couch Club is hosting a watch-along for the episode of Supergirl that saw the full debut of TV’s first transgender superhero: “Menagerie.”

HOW TO JOIN

• Our Watch-Along begins on Saturday, June 26th at 9:30 PM EST/6:30 PM PST :point_left:
  • We’re watching the following episode:
    • Season 4, Episode 12: Menagerie
  • You can watch Supergirl on Netflix or Amazon Prime, or you may have them on VOD or blu-ray.
  • Have the episode cued up and be ready to push “play” at the start of the hour!

FUN FACT!

At this point, Nia had appeared in 8 episodes and was quite acclimated to National City, even discovering Kara’s identity as Supergirl in the previous episode. That affair was a huge turning point for Nia, as she had to endure both the death of her mother and a transphobic confrontation from her own sister. And while she remains haunted by her mother’s death, Nia ultimately came out from that experience with a clearer sense of how to utilize her dream-based powers, especially after getting her superhero costume at the end of that episode.

She’d get the chance to put that to use pretty quickly, as she suits up here alongside Supergirl to take down Menagerie, a jewel thief who was bonded to a snake-like alien parasite and would go on to join Manchester Black’s vigilante team, The Elite. While we knew even before the season started that Nia would become a hero at some point, this episode is still historic for finally showcasing the first transgender superhero on television. It truly helped to further cement Nia’s place in LGBTQ+ history, as she continues to be an icon and a source of hope and inspiration for fans all around the world.

NOT A MEMBER?

If you’re not yet a member, be sure to join the Arrowverse Couch Club! Though Pride Month is nearly over, there’s still plenty of weekly material to discuss. The fast-approaching season finale of Batwoman will cap off quite the eventful season, new episodes of Legends of Tomorrow, Superman & Lois and The Flash, including the latter’s upcoming 150th episode, are still going strong and Supergirl and Stargirl are also set to return in August. Click here for more information and here to join!

6 Likes

Just about 8 hours until we kick things off tonight!

2 Likes

five hours, forty-seven minutes

2 Likes

The episode entitled Menagerie is episode 12. Do I go by the title? Or no…

2 Likes

Dammit, you’re right. Not sure how I missed that, but yeah, this is for episode 12 of season 4. It’s edited on the post now. Thank you for catching that far enough before this starts :+1:

1 Like

because 20ish minutes before it starts isn’t nerve wracking at all…

2 Likes

Still, it’s just in time for the banner going up, so it works :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

And go time.

1 Like

Not quite! We’re actually starting at 9:30 tonight :mantelpiece_clock:

oops. :expressionless:

1 Like

All good. Still less than a half hour to go!

After this, I will be finishing Instinct. Then after the late night, it will be this week’s Couch assignment.

1 Like

5 minutes!

less than two minutes!

1 Like

My last countdown was calculated off of the wrong time, but I will not be editing it.

1 Like

Let’s get this started. Dream on!

I was surprised they didn’t reverse Alex once the truth teller did its thing. Or was there a threat of being tested randomly. I didn’t get that impression.

my only experience with manchester and company is only from the Superman vs the Elite movie.

1 Like

Yeah, they had to make sure Haley wouldn’t just drop by and that she’d be fully out of the picture before restoring her

Nothing like marshmallow roses to help make a superhero feel better :rose:

1 Like

Nia just tricked a 12-level intellect into a date. Gotta admire the brainpower :brain: