Supergirl Must Reads?

So I just caught up (at least on here) on williamsons flash and now I’m looking into my favorite kryptonian. Supes has never really done it for me Kara will always be the one who exemplifies hope and compassion.

Sadly my reading is limited to the current rebirth run and I love it but can any other avid SG fans point me in a good direction?

2 Likes

Did you see this article on the site?

https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/where-start-reading-supergirl-comics/

3 Likes

Some good stuff here! I appreciate it

1 Like

@Takingmymoment Since you’ve read Supergirl’s Rebirth run, go back to where her arcs actually began with the New 52 ongoing series.

2 Likes

So rebirth #1 actually wasn’t the beginning of the story?

@Pow-Pow is a resident Supergirl fan. I’m sure he would have plenty of recommendations :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A kindred spirit! I await his input

1 Like

@Takingmymoment No.

The Rebirth Initiative was designed to be a “jumping on point” to attract new readers, but, in terms of in-universe continuity, it is a continuation and/or expansion of the universe introduced after the Flashpoint comic event in 2011.

3 Likes

Certainly added to my list. Appreciate it

@Takingmymoment If you do read Supergirl’s New 52 run, start with Issue #1 rather than Issue #0, and read the latter after Issue #7.

2 Likes

That is the 2011 series on here correct?

1 Like

@Takingmymoment Yes.

2 Likes

A few Supergirl must-reads:

● The Supergirl Saga (Superman (1986-2006) #21, The Adventures of Superman #444 and Superman #22)
● Supergirl (1996-2003) #'s 75-80
● Superman/Batman #'s 8-13 and 19
● Supergirl (2005-2011) #'s 1-5
● Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade
● Supergirl: Being Super (not on DCU, but worth a read all the same)

5 Likes

The DCU Book Club has been reading Supergirl’s 2004 origin this past week:

2 Likes

I wish the developers would fix that 2010 error for Superman/Batman (it’s been notated a few times).

It was likely the year those issues were digitized, but the listed year should always be when a book was initially released, in this case 2004, or when a series began, which in Superman/Batman’s case is 2003.

gives @AlexanderKnox a Getting It Right Award™…and a grant

2 Likes

Hey @Vroom! I’ll reach out to the team again about this one. Thanks for your patience on this. :relaxed:

3 Likes

The daring new adventures of Supergirl.
Her last run before COIE.
I highly recommend it.
She has such a nice history in the DC Universe, plus all her appearances in JLU are awesome!!

1 Like

As @Vroom mentioned, two of my picks are Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade, and Being Super, which, I just verified, isn’t on here for some reason. 🤷 I haven’t read much else, but I liked the Rebirth series by Steve Orlando a whole lot, as well as the post-Batman/Superman series from the 2000s, written by, if I’m not mistaken, Peter David.

2 Likes

@Batwing52 You’re conflating two series into one.

The Peter David Supergirl series ended in 2003, and was followed by the Batman/Superman “The Supergirl from Krypton” story and Supergirl Vol. 5 in 2004 and 2005, respectively.

Speaking of the Peter David Supergirl series, I would love somebody to adapt it into some other medium because there are a lot of interesting concepts, ideas, and characters in it that could make for some great storytelling.

1 Like

Oops! I meant the post-Batman/Superman run. Volume 5. Sorry about that. I haven’t revisited it in a while, but I remembered it being good.

1 Like