Supergirl Ending With Season Six šŸ˜­

Just now saw this, I guess Benoist didnā€™t want to renew her contract. Not hugely shocking since ratings were down and Benoist contract was ending, but a shame. Still six years is a good run, especially for a show initially cancelled after itā€™s first season.

7 Likes

This is true

4 Likes

I kinda wonder if it was a combination of things. Benoist is having a baby so maybe she didnā€™t want to renew her contract because of how time-consuming these CW shooting schedules apparently are. I remember hearing that Ruby Rose had a hard time dealing with that which was why she left.

With the ratings it mightā€™ve not been worth it for the network to just keep it going either considering theyā€™re bringing in Stargirl and Superman is on the horizon. I could really see Stargirl taking up her place and Superman just being the bigger Kryptonian IP for the Arrowverse.

Itā€™s kind of weird and feels unfulfilling after watching the crossover events that they were setting up Supergirl and Batwoman to have a duo-type of relationship that Barry and Oliver had and now Kate Kaneā€™s gone and Karaā€™s going away.

7 Likes

This. The producers specifically talked about how they intended this to be the new big crossover friendship going forward, but theyā€™ll both be gone by around this time next year. It really sucks

8 Likes

I tended to binge the show when it hit Netflix. While I I thought the subplots could drag at times, I thought Benoist did great job and Cryer was absolute gold as Lex. Nice run and congrats to the show.

6 Likes

Im surprised legends wasnā€™t the first to go

2 Likes

Iā€™m sad to see it go but Iā€™m glad it will have an end instead of being left on a cliffhanger. Who knows? Maybe weā€™ll see her in the new superman show.

5 Likes

Yeah, itā€™d be nice to see the House of El together once in a while

4 Likes

If she was willing to come back for the occasional guest starring role could see it happening. Doubt DC will let them kill her off like they did with Green Arrow.

6 Likes

I feel like the clock was ticking on this announcement once Superman & Lois was announced. Itā€™s unclear where the decision came from (Benoistā€™s statement reads as shocked, to me, so I assume itā€™s not her), but it reeks of ā€œwe donā€™t want to dilute the brandā€ and thinking that people might be confused with two shows with similar names and logos as if the police procedurals have ever had that problem.

I also wonder if Supergirl would have performed better if the writing didnā€™t feel the need to pull its punches in the second halves of seasons. Thereā€™s only so many times they can go after an obvious metaphor for a real-world problem, only reduce it to ā€œnever mind, Kara just needs to punch this one person and it solves the deep systemic problem in our culture,ā€ before people wander off. I mean, when your diabolical Human Supremacist is actually just a frustrated guy with a valid point whoā€™s been duped, the target demographic is very unclear.

3 Likes

Honestly, pretty much. Thereā€™s little doubt of the potential Supergirl had as its own show. We as fans know that both shows could be great and not duplicates running together, but we also know the writingā€¦ it was so tiring. So much potential and nothing done over and over and over. Itā€™s such a shame.

4 Likes

Supergirl was never my favorite to be honest. A lot of the episodes just didnā€™t do it for me but Jon Cryerā€™s portrayal of Lex Luthor made me look forward to future seasons. Iā€™m hoping he continues his portrayal of LL in the Arrowverse, especially with the upcoming Superman & Lois show.

3 Likes

I remember when Cryer was first announced as Lex and thinking ā€œOkay, he was Lenny in Superman IV and they probably couldnā€™t afford a big nameā€ but when his episode came upā€¦I was never so glad to be wrong.

His Lex was such a surprise. Like I said, the last two seasons have been such a chore to get through but when Lex shows up, itā€™s an event. I loved the episode this past season of how he adjusted to the world Post-Crisis.

5 Likes

Iā€™m devastated of course. Itā€™s the most 2020-thing in my book.

I think itā€™s a huge setback to female-led comics which in turn makes it a huge setback to comics as a hobby.

While I absolutely love Tylerā€™s Superman, handing the torch like this was a horrible decision. If they needed to end it for whatever reason, it would have been a better to fill the spot with literally any other DC character.

Correct or not, the discussion is immediately thrown into suspicions of the comic media throwing the woman off the bus as soon as they get a hold of the man-licence. Itā€™s not an unwarranted suspicion given the world it comes from, and true or not it reinforces the poor image of the hobby in social media and has new fans leaving in anger.

However, in all the loss thereā€™s happiness. Melissa inspired a generation with her portrayal. I could not for the life of me cast a better Supergirl if I could point to any person on this Earth. There will be 6 seasons of Supergirl that I can watch and rewatch. Thatā€™s 6 seasons more than the first 55 years of her history gave us.

I wish we were at a point where I had the luxury of leaning back and thinking: ā€œOh, that was a great run, Iā€™ll dive into the comics until they release that movie in a year or two, and that animated movie in a few months.ā€ā€¦ Thereā€™s no movie, no comics to go to. Thatā€™s the privilege of the unattainable Adams, the men that came first and will thus always be better than the creatures made from their ribs.

But I will say this:

ā€œOh, that was a great run.ā€

4 Likes

Indeed. My biggest disappointment with this, apart from the series ending, is weā€™re not getting that Worldā€™s Finest crossover between Kara Danvers and Kate Kane :sob:

5 Likes

Yes! I feel like we were promised that. :sob:

4 Likes

Earth-38 - Cat Grant has breakfast with RBG

Earth-Prime - Supergirl thanks RBG for her lifeā€™s work

Reality inspires fiction. Fiction inspires reality.

Why itā€™s important with symbols and representation.

8 Likes

I felt this coming for a long time. The actors for Winn and James leaving, Melissa missing episodes to do theater work instead, the rumors of the CW considering a Manrtian Manhunter showā€¦ All of that made it seem like the main cast was ready to move on. It all led to the CW pushing a Superman show. It was obvious they would not be running both shows for long. One would have to give.

Supergirl has been getting better, so I am hopeful that the final season will be incredible. They do need to find a place for Alex, Jā€™onn, and Nia. I could see Nia on Legends, Jā€™onn on Superman/his own show, and Alex on Batwoman.

5 Likes

That would be amazing!

7 Likes

Well I did see something earlier today about the actress who plays Nia saying she doesnā€™t see this at the end she had a dream about it or something like that and they never had an SG character in legends and with them on the same earth now it think they can. So it seems like fun to put her there if she wants to continue.

5 Likes