Superfriends hour guest stars

I started this posted because there are interesting guest star heroes on superfriends hour that I’ve never heard of

1 Like

Well some like Apachie Cheif and Samaurai (I think that was his name, been a while) were made just for Superfriends.

Five new characters were added to the Super Friends in Seasons 2 and 3, in an attempt to present a more racially diverse cast: Apache Chief, Samurai, El Dorado, Black Vulcan, and Rima the Jungle Girl.

Apache Chief, Samurai, and El Dorado were all created fresh for the series. Black Vulcan was quite obviously based on Black Lightning, who was a new hero to DC at the time, but a copyright dispute with creator Tony Isabella prevented the original from being used. Black Vulcan was replaced by Cyborg in the show’s final season.

Rima, however, is an interesting case: she actually predates every DC character by several decades, first appearing in the novel Green Mansions by W.H. Hudson in 1904. In 1954, Green Mansions was adapted into a film, where Audrey Hepburn played the role of Rima. And from 1974-1975, DC acquired the publishing rights and briefly put out a Rima the Jungle Girl comic. So when Super Friends made its efforts to diversify, Rima, the Latina heroine, was available in the bullpen for Hanna-Barbera to pull — and so they did.

3 Likes

I like rima she kinda seem like land aquaman

I have the short-lived DC Rima series in my collection. It featured beautiful artwork by the incredible Nestor Redondo.

1 Like